P2D-CE Q5 work with CR123A rechargeables?

glenda17

Enlightened
Will all the light levels work with rechargeable in the P2D-CE ?

If not is there a similiar quality/size 180 lumen flashlight that works with rechargeables?

Last edited:

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: P2D-CE Q5 work with CR123A rechargeables

Unfortunately the P2D will only have 1 of 3 levels and turbo. The other two are basically the same with a rechargeable - even the supposed 3.0 volt rechargeables don't make a lot of difference. I'd suggest an Olight T-10 which is nearly identical in size and feel and it will have 5 levels, better throw and they have it also in Q5. It still has strobe and SOS but a better interface so you never need to see those if you just want your 5 levels.

cal..45

Enlightened

all I can say is that the 5 modes will work perfectly with 3.0 volt rechargeables, at least my P2D Q5 does.

regards, holger

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast

cal..45 - I've tried the 3.0 v rechargeables with regulators and the ones with a different chemistry and neither one would have any noticeable difference in brightness in the med., low or high - only turbo was noticeably higher. I tried running them a while on the idea that they would run down in voltage enough eventually to make a difference but found that they only got low enough when they were nearly ready for a recharge. What brand or type are you using and where can they be purchased?

glenda17

Enlightened
What would be the disadvantage to using the 3.0V, less runtime than a CR123A (non rechargeable) less brightness in turbo mode, or none ?

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
What would be the disadvantage to using the 3.0V, less runtime than a CR123A (non rechargeable) less brightness in turbo mode, or none ?

Yes the 3.0 volt RCR's will have less runtime for sure. I can't say if turbo would be less bright as I don't know the current draw but my best guess is yes it might be a little less bright.

Frank Maddix

Newly Enlightened
Yes the 3.0 volt RCR's will have less runtime for sure. I can't say if turbo would be less bright as I don't know the current draw but my best guess is yes it might be a little less bright.
When I had the 3.0V RCRs in an HDS U60 they couldn't deliver full current so the U60 stepped down. It wasn't due to heating up (due to over-voltage) because 3.7V RCRs worked fine. Also their capacity is only about 650 mAh.

Nulllogik

Newly Enlightened
I haven't tried them personally yet, but I heard and read good things about those
maybe someone can confirm?

regards, holger

Those are what i run in my P2D, and they work great (i have all brightness settings).

Tried two of them in a 6V LF lamp in my G2L and worked like a charm too, though i would not advise trying yourself.

jenskh

Enlightened
I haven't tried them personally yet, but I heard and read good things about those
maybe someone can confirm?
I am using these Tenergy batteries in a Fenix P1D CE Q5 light. All modes work as they should. In turbo mode the light is about the same level as using 3,7 V. The only problem with the protected Tenergy batteries is that the protection kicks in from time to time. This happens both with fully charged batteries and later in the cycle. It is just to switch the light off and on and it works again.

glenda17

Enlightened
Thanks for the info.

I ordered a P2D Q5 and the recommended 3.0V rechargeable.

If this is brighter than my circa 2005 Inova T3 I will be amazed.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the T3 has one of those long throw optics but prepare to be amazed at the overall brightness of the P2D - and fairly good throw too. I guess after seeing this thread I may try one more time to get some 3 volt RCR's that actually work in a Fenix. However I'm currently using almost the same cell - a Tenergy 3.0 volt 750mah rechargeable in my P2D and can barely tell any difference in brightness. It is still a big difference at least compared to a primary. Hopefully the Tenergy 900mah 3.0 volt units are better.

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Okay - now that I got a Lux meter I decided to take another look at the P2D running on that Tenergy. It seems it's a bit more difference in levels than I thought - although I didn't check the battery to see how charged it was and it hasn't been charged in several weeks. As I said they tend to show more difference once they are close to being discharged. Anyway with that in mind here's what I got for the 3 primary (not turbo) readings
low - 45
med - 55
high 108