E1B pocket clip on other E-series flashlights?

jave-mtr

Newly Enlightened
Hi,
I've already seen several conversion here where members put the E1B pocket clip on their E1L or other E-series lights., so we all know it can be done!
However, when I asked SureFire customer service the question whether they would ever sell the E1B clip as an accessory item for modifications, I was told that the up/down pocket clip was proprietary to the E1B and would not fit any of the other lights!
I'd love to put the E1B clip on my E1L because with its standard clip it's way too top heavy to be carried clipped in a pocket!
So, what gives? :thinking: What's going on here? Have people only been lucky to find clips that fit? Thanks!

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
Although generally SF customer service can be helpful, I have found that their cs people can sometimes be out of the loop or that they just don't know about the conversions, add-ons, mods, etc. Its best to stick with those here at cpf who have tried and suceeded with conversions and follow their example. Just my .02

dougie

Enlightened
Unfortunately many cs staff do not have as indepth knowledge of various parts and products as we would like or imagine they should.

My experience of cs staff in various industries leads me to the conclusion that a lot of them simply come to work each day to earn a crust and aren't really bothered if they ever become an expert at whatever product or service they are supposed to provide.

Whilst this isn't ideal I sometimes think we are unrealistic too expect someone working as a humble cs employee to know about enthusiasts, collectors,forums etc? After all most Surefire cs staff will never know that we refer to some Surefire lights as like Lego? I suspect that many of them don't own a Surefire product themselves and have even less interest in what the end user does with their employers products?

As to the E1B it is obvious that the cs rep you spoke to didn't know about the compatibility of the clips which does rather support my views above?

Perhaps one of the Surefire guru's can enlighten you as to whether they think Surefire will release the clip as an accessory? I suspect not but honestly don't know.

Doug

Size15's

Flashaholic
The E1B's two-way clip fits in the [patented] standard attachment point used by SureFires.
However, the attachment point on the E1B I have will not accept the short or long clips. I conclude that the blended design of the E1B body has compromised the attachment point's universal nature. Whether this an isolated/rare case or something SureFire has/will fix I don't know.

As to getting the two-way clip by itself... SureFire clips don't have Z numbers or other product codes but SureFire can and do replace broken clips so I imagine its just a matter of time until SureFire have sufficient stock and knowlegde of this new clip to be able to supply it as a replacement part (by calling them).

I think this is a case of Flashaholics wanting SureFire to move faster and in a different way than SureFire can/want to.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought a Backup body with no clip and was able to add the old style clip to it. I had to file the sides down just a bit to get it to fit. I do like the new clip design and hope to eventially add them to all my E-series lights with clips.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
I put the E1B clip on my TW4 right away and it's stayed on there perfectly ever since. This really makes it easy to carry the 1-cell E-series lights. I had no problem sliding the clip into the patented E slot.

ttran97

Flashlight Enthusiast
ttran97,
that's exactly what I want for my E1!

It's a HUGE improvement over the stock E1e clip. I have this bezel down in my front pocket, with the clip attached to the outer flap of the pocket. So the only part sticking up is only less than an inch of the tailcap. It's much more comfortable when I sit down as nothing is jabbing into my hip, as opposed to using the old clip and having the light bezel up.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
ttran97, That looks very Nice!!

I EDC my Backup since I got it, buy always seem to have a few extra lights on me anyway. the new clip design really is nice for bezel down carry. I could see carrying more E-series with me if the new clip was available as an accessory.

001.jpg

Last edited:

schiesz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm just waiting for someone to put that clip on a C3. Hey, maybe some people WANT their flashlight sticking way out of their pocket!

schiesz

Size15's

Flashaholic
DaFABRICATA,
Thanks for sharing the photo showing that your E1B body can host the short clip. Makes me wonder whether the tolerance is just really tight due to the blended design, or the E1B body was changed, or whether it was just the two short clips and one long clip that I happened to try (out of all the ones I have) that didn't fit my E1B...

Al

Styerman

Newly Enlightened
I deffinatly want to convert both my L1 and E1L to the new clips .

Chris

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Size15's,
Just doing my part as a CPFer to help out. It was not an easy fit like the older E-series bodies. I had to file the edges of the clip just a bit and apply pretty good pressure to get it to slide into the grove AND I DID NOT use the plastic retaining shim that the old style clips use under them.