NEW Coast LEDlenser (Tactical Use) 1AA from COSTCO 39 lumens 1.3w (#7847 digitacII)

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
OK, stopped by the flashlight aisle at COSTCO today as per usual, to see what kind of flashlights not to buy this week. Couldn't resist grabbing this Coast LEDlenser 1AA flashlight for just 21.79.

coast-lenser-costco-002.jpg

The display was nice and you can test each flashlight for brightness and tint. I just pressed the lever and viewed the general amount of light. As I got deeper into the case it got harder to do, so I had to be reasonable about it. The first model I grabbed happened to be the brightest, so I bought it.
coastlensercostco.jpg

The push button on the end is smaller than usuall, but still useful. The momentary mode is quick to activate, but you have to depress the button significantly to activate the full on mode. It comes with a holster and an extra battery.

coast-lenser-costco-003.jpg

coast-lenser-costco-006.jpg

coast-lenser-costco-005.jpg

coast-lenser-costco-012.jpg

coast-lenser-costco-013.jpg

coast-lenser-costco-012a.jpg

coast-lenser-costco-003a.jpg

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey, I've only had the thing for a couple of hours. I was trying to get some pics for a thread before someone else did. Now the light is apart and I am going to paint it with glow paint.

After doing some comparisons, I am a little more fond of this light. It has a good tight beam, similar in brightness and shape to my LumarayFL6. The tint of my LED is greenish, but not excessively.

I bought this light especially because I prefer optics over reflectors. They really throw better.

The light is really bright, bright enough to blind one when reflected off something close.

An led upgrade might make this more of a keeper.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
I too think the first thing to do with this light (as with all Luxeons) would be to toss that emitter and install a SSC in its place.

I wouldn't spend $22 for a Luxeon light anyway.

How 'bout a picture of that fancy prism-lens thing?

ernsanada

Flashlight Enthusiast
I saw them at my local Costco in Hawthone, Calif. I went through some of them and all the tints looked on the green side.

I also saw at 2 flashlght set from Snap On. It looked like 2AA and a 3D using maybe Krypton bulbs but I'm not sure. They were red and has rubber grips.

Albinoni

Banned
Here in Australia this torch is known as a the Led Lenser Micro Tactical. I've played with one and not a bad torch at all infact quite nice, though I dont own one. Also known as the David 19.

I've got the Led Lenser Hokus Fokus ZL 7438 in which I love very much and has been a great torch for me so far, also I use 3xEneloops in it plus the beam on this thing is fantastic.

http://ledlenser.com.au/ledlenser_tactical.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-LED-LENS...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/NEW-LED-LENS...yZ106987QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I think with LL its a torch you love or hate.

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm pretty happy with it. It's the brightest small light I have right now. The green tint is pretty obvious inside, but in real use the beam is great, very bright.

One feature I am disappointed with is the lanyard attachment. The hole is really small, and the attached stainless loop isn't very appealing.

This light has zero twisty factor. With some lights pressing the tailcap will activate the light. This light has none of this; you have to search for and find the tail button to activate. I prefer it when the entire tail cap of the light will illuminate the light.

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Nice review, greenlight. Great pics! Thanks. Even with the luxeon it looks like a worthy toy. I especially like their use of lots of brass. Looks solid. I might have to finally make the drive to the new Costco around here.

Geoff

pbs357

Enlightened
Great review, and great find! Any plans for some outdoor beamshots and/or comparisons? I'm looking for a bright, single AA light for my mom and this just may fit the bill!

light_emitting_dude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this Coast light and like it. I paid about $39 for mine last year. Maybe they are trying to get rid of the luxeon versions to make room for the new cree Coast line of lights!

generic808

Enlightened
I don't have this light, but I did recently pick up an LED Lenser headlamp from Costco which I like very much. It too, has a greenish tint to it. I can live with it though. The thing I love about the headlamp is the VERY wide flood. I use it to walk the dogs and when I ride at night. It's a great headlamp which everyone should own. I'm going to check my Costco tomorrow to see if they have this light in stock because I'll probably pick one up for the heck of it. I'm a Surefire kind of guy, but we all can never have enough lights :grin2:

Khaytsus

Enlightened
I'm pretty happy with it. It's the brightest small light I have right now. The green tint is pretty obvious inside, but in real use the beam is great, very bright.

One feature I am disappointed with is the lanyard attachment. The hole is really small, and the attached stainless loop isn't very appealing.

This light has zero twisty factor. With some lights pressing the tailcap will activate the light. This light has none of this; you have to search for and find the tail button to activate. I prefer it when the entire tail cap of the light will illuminate the light.

You need to get something fancy, like a Fenix or an Ultrafire. :D Seriously, why do you buy expensive Luxeon lights in stores? They're never going to be up to par with a light you can get for $10-15 more online from Fenix, OLight, etc..

greenlight

Flashlight Enthusiast
Output wise what would this be on par with ?
Not on pure lumens but visually ?

The output of this light is similar to my LumaRayFL6. Bright, focused beam. More throw than spill.

Did the head just screw off or was it held on with some sort of glue?
There was no glue on the head or the internal heatsink, which unscrews.

You need to get something fancy, like a Fenix or an Ultrafire. Seriously, why do you buy expensive Luxeon lights in stores? They're never going to be up to par with a light you can get for $10-15 more online from Fenix, OLight, etc..
That's nice, but I'm not always buying flashlights for their brightness. Sometimes it's worth it to buy cheaper lights, especially if you plan to lose it or give it away.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been using the Digitac I (aka David 15) version of this light for a year or so and have been pleased with it. The David 15 has a smaller head so the entire light is of one diameter and it fits into all the old Mini Maglite holsters.

The forward clicky with momentary action is welcome and the tint is fairly neutral.