Dexlight X.1: A brief review

m16a

Enlightened
Hey guys, I purchased a dex recently, and to help the great CPF community, I'd like to post a brief review both to help people out and practice doing so for the future!

review and pictures of my new EDC light! First some pictures!

img1731ub7.jpg

img1737sh3.jpg

img1738qs7.jpg

img1741qm4.jpg

Now for a short review!

The Dexlight has served me excellently in my few days I have had it as my EDC. It works excellently, feels solidly built and projects a strong, pure beam. At 100 lum and barely 3.5inches long, it is powerful, yet small enough to carry in a crowded pocket. It has 5 default modes. Normal, low, high, medium, strobe, then a standby mode where th light blinks weakly every 6 seconds give or take a few tenths of a second as a finder light. Once you get used to the light, you will find a great variety of options in the advanced mode of the light including an automated high powered SOS beacon. The thing I would get improved is the house keeping before shipping. In order for lithium ion batteries to work, you will need to clean and lube the threads. The threads are stiff at first but work well when used a number of times. The lens is made of is made of sapphire crystal and the body is T6061 aluminum and its HA-III. The whole thing is virtually scratch proof. Its heat resistant and 10M water resistant as well(although I would bet it could survive deeper, just not work deeper because it is double O-ring sealed). The light comes with a holster, two spare O-rings, 3 extra tail caps(red, orange, and GITD) and a lanyard. The light is a very good light and I would heartily recommend it. Enjoy the review, more pics if you want!

M16a

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
While this light is not new I was considering doing a review on it myself after another CPF member contacted me about when he saw a post I made about it. He was interested in buying one - ended up getting one and was as impressed as I was as well as reaffirming my belief that this is a real 'GEM that has been largely missed by many CPF members due to it's timing in introduction. After getting a second used one recently I then realized I didn't just get really lucky with it being extra bright and white - but that it is one 'SCORCHER' for a P4 Cree and extremely high quality througout.
Glad to see your review here and at only $45 I think these are an incredible deal. I originally got mine after getting totally fed up with the delays, excuses, problems and changes that were being done on a prepay Rexlight. I waited over 3 months to get the Rexlight, in the mean time ordered the Dexlight which was essentially Dealextreme's answer to the Rexlight but they got it right and then some. The Dexlight X.1 arrived in a couple weeks and it was so much better than the Rexlight I ended up giving the Rexlight away.
I got the second one recently used on a great deal and it was going to be a gift to someone but 'Precious' didn't want to leave my hands :crackup:
so I ended up buying him another light.
Thanks for the review and if I get the chance I'm going to try doing some light meter readings with the Dexlight against some of the new 'hot' lights like the Nightcore Defender Infinity and other higher bin lights. I don't think any of them are going to really blast past the Dexlight X.1

Last edited:

jake25

Enlightened
love my dexlight, i've had 4 replacments on it from dealextreme, some my fault some theirs but i still love it

my only gripe is that theres no Q5 head for it yet

i know i can depend on it when i need it for that extra light

bp044

Enlightened
love my dexlight, i've had 4 replacments on it from dealextreme, some my fault some theirs but i still love it

my only gripe is that theres no Q5 head for it yet

i know i can depend on it when i need it for that extra light
Mine stopped working . Ive been using Kirkland alkalines for several months without any problems. Cleaned contacts and put in new Kirkland . sill wont go on . Please help

merlocka

Enlightened
Ahhh... the X.1

1. Loves 14500's. Brighter than NCDI, Surefire L1 Cree (on primaries)

2. Can also be used a handwarmer.

3) Good for a makeshift IQ test... Give to non-flashaholic friend without user manual, see if they can figure out UI.

4) Still get a (relatively) low mode on 14500. Although, it's a pretty bright low. Runtime ~6 hours though. L1D, eat your heart out.

5) Good for squishing protected 14500's. Battery tube could be 1mm longer.

6) When your 14500 dies, and you're otherwise not interested in blinding people, you can drop in alkalines for low output but decent runtime.

7) Lots of fun experiments with PWM... make the variable speed ceiling fans look like they are standing still or running backwards! PWM also makes running water look cool. I know this because I often take my X.1 for bathroom trips at night. U do the math.

The X.1 is a year old now, and of single AA lights, has (to my knowledge) the brightest max output while still having >6hrs runtime on low.

Final note... the X.1 is extremely similar to the Jetbeam MKIIx.

Last edited:

m16a

Enlightened
Thanks for the kind replies guys. I am using mine on NiMh's until I get the threads cleaned and lubed. Once that happens, I can get the max out of the light with a lovely 14500 cell. I really like this light. For once I'm happy I went with a minority. I highly recommend it and hope this review helps people!:twothumbs

M16a

matrixshaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ahhh... the X.1

3) Good for a makeshift IQ test... Give to non-flashaholic friend without user manual, see if they can figure out UI.

:crackup:
Good one! It's not really that difficult to get through a few things but I personally feel the more complex the better I like it for most lights.

BillD

Newly Enlightened
I have a Rexlight v 2.1, and I was going to buy a second one for a friend, but I'm now looking at this light. I was wondering if it has a memory function built into it?:thinking:

jake25

Enlightened
Mine stopped working . Ive been using Kirkland alkalines for several months without any problems. Cleaned contacts and put in new Kirkland . sill wont go on . Please help
get some good batteries, eneloops or lithiums

by lithium i dont mean energizer i mean 4.2V lithium ion battery

bp044

Enlightened
get some good batteries, eneloops or lithiums

by lithium i dont mean energizer i mean 4.2V lithium ion battery

I have tried several batteries. still wont work . I looked at dealextream web site for support for this light or how to send back under the warranty. No luck !