Does anyone really EDC a > $300 light?

tpchan

Newly Enlightened
In all seriousness I'd like to find out if any of my fellow CPF'ers really use or EDC a greater than $300 flashlight every day? The reason I'm asking is that I'm lusting after one of the new Gatlights in the latest run, but I'm not sure at all that it won't just become a shelf queen. So far every light I've bought I've managed to use a fair bit or given them away to relatives that needed a good light. Please lend me your collective expertise on buying AND using relatively expensive lights (in this case expensive is defined as > $300 US) :)

jefflrrp

Newly Enlightened
I sometimes edc both a SF L1 ($135) and a 6PL ($85) total=$220, darn you said $300 or more. Thats what community college math courses do to ya . . . :crackup:

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
There is nothing that I own that I do not use for its intended purpose. What is the point of cluttering my life with nice things that I am not worthy to touch?

I don't own a $300 flashlight, but that is only because the $300 flashlight I want (Sten-Light headlamp) still needs some improvement and updating. But a soon as they (or a smart competitor) offer me a truly modern Sten, It will go on my caving helmet to be used and abused.

If you can afford it and it makes you happy, by all means use it. :twothumbs

Last edited:

alanagnostic

Enlightened
I edc an HDS U60, and with the bezel added it is about a $200 light. I also have one that cost about $450 that I don't edc, mostly because it is not as versatile as my U60. If Henry made a titanium Ra Twisty and it cost $300+ I would have it on my hip every single day. I've gotten over the fear of losing my good lights. I carry what is most useful and I always carry my edc in a holster so that it doesn't fall out of my pocket.

Isak Hawk

Enlightened
I EDC a Titanium McGizmo every day, sometimes two.

I don't understand why anyone would want to keep a light pristine unless they just want to display it like art or it's purely an investment :shrug: Otherwise, what exactly are you "saving" it for? Since you can't take it with you in the end, you should enjoy it while you can :thumbsup:

Christoph

Flashlight Enthusiast
I carry a Titan and a Spy 005 all the time,I bought good lights to use.I am not really a collector but you couldn't tell that by looking in my shop and dresser drawers.Good dependable lights can be expensive,I buy good dependable lights to use them because I depend on my lights.Thats my story and I'm stickin to it!:D
C

Last edited:

RainerWahnsinn

Enlightened
Only thereby you see, how relative your question is: Until the modded NovaTac 120P in Germany achieved me, it cost 210 €. That corresponds at present to about 320 $. I always carry it.

Another example ist the Kroma which I edc often. In Germany 330 €uro:whistle:

Rainer

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have been carrying my SF Titan everyday for the last six months. It's not the only light I EDC but the Titan is always with me. :cool:

GreySave

Enlightened
I have carried both a U2 and / or a Kroma at times or together. As soneone said earlier, for me they are tools. As such they are used and cared for at the same time just as I would any other expensive tool.

Braddah_Bill

Enlightened
I think you will find a lot of people do, I carry a lot of my custom lights. Many of them are over $300 - what I don't do is let other people borrow and walk off with them. :ohgeez:

Bill

Reactions: :)>

JohnTz

Enlightened
I think you will find a lot of people do, I carry a lot of my custom lights. Many of them are over $300 - what I don't do is let other people borrow and walk off with them. :ohgeez:

Bill

+1 I EDC a Lunasol. It's the most practical light I own. i just don't let anybody use it and I have it in a holster so it stays nice.:thumbsup:

cv3po

Banned
I do not own any really expensive lights (my most costly is a SF E1B........$100 and it's an EDC) but my thought is this:

If your >$300 light is just an investment then it should rarely leave the house. If it isn't, then if you're nervous about using it you probably cannot afford it in the first place. I do not collect lights (or much else) so if I buy a tool it gets used.

Illum

Flashaholic
I have very few customs....:ohgeez:
typically I carry an SF L4 everyday and tag along an A2 every so often
[MSRP] ~$180+~$200
not to mention the L0D-CE on my neck

outside the typical formality if its really dark outside I EDC the SF M6, a set of 6 extra cells, and a minimag-auroralite with a spare set of 14500s:naughty:

cfromc

Enlightened
I carry a Novatac 120P although I recently bought a Kroma on impulse and thought I would sell it after playing with it but I'm growing rather attached to it and will probably start carrying it when appropriate (it is rather larger than the 120P although smaller than I thought it would be). The Kroma retails for $299, so with tax would break the $300 mark. I sold about half my collection a few months ago so I could focus on the lights that will actually get use. I'd rather have one $300 light that gets used than 2 $150 lights that just sit. Even so, I still have too many, but I'm sure most people on this site have the same affliction.

9volt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I never thought I would carry such an expensive flashlight but I carry a $300 ti Draco on my keychain everyday. There are just no other options out there for lights with that size and performance, so I ponied up the money.

I figured if I'm going to spend that much on one it might as well be one I've got on me all the time.

NoFair

Flashlight Enthusiast
My modded HDS probably has a value of around $300, the SF U2 is close as well. Just think about it compared to other items like wedding rings, cell phones, watches, sunglasses and it isn't so bad at all;)

Thinking of getting the new Arc or a McGizmo, but the HDS is hard to beat.. :D

Sverre

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely not.
I am absent-minded and would probably lose my head if it wasn't connected to my body.
Due to some miracle I've managed to not yet lose anything significant that I keep in my pockets, but sometimes I'm worried about losing even the NDI (which I paid $50), let alone a light that costs 10 times more (which is IMO insanity cubed in itself, but hey, everyone's free to spend their money as they want).

Pumaman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Chrome Drake around neck $150
TiCN Draco on keychain $250
Seoul Firefly III in pocket $150

they are my most expensive lights, but my most used ones as well. money is well spent on good tools.