Flashlight for Blackhawk Repairs?

Turt

Enlightened
So my friend just graduated from in the army reserves as a blackhawk repair person. I'd like to get him a flashlight... any suggestions from people in the know? Thanks!

dougie

Enlightened
Assuming he is allowed to use non intrinsically safe flashlights at work my suggestion would be an all Nitrolon G2L. Why? Well the G2 is one of the toughest and most durable 2 cell surefire lights and immune to oil,dirt and most petroleum substances he'd come across whilst at work. The P60L Led will take either regular primary CR123's or rechargeable cells without a problem giving him a choice of battery types. The beam from the P60L is more than adequate for the majority of tasks that a small 2 cell light could ever be asked to perform and in the rare event of loss or even theft won't cost the world to replace. As most military units now have access to lithium CR123 batteries feeding it on military duties should be easy.

Finally, the Surefire warranty is good for life and in the rare event that the light develops a fault Surefire will make good.

just my thoughts

Doug

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I agree...for airplane ground crew/mechanic you'd want more throw but for heli's the G2L is a good choice that's reasonably priced.

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
So my friend just graduated from in the army reserves as a blackhawk repair person. I'd like to get him a flashlight... any suggestions from people in the know? Thanks!

I think a Blackhawk Gladius would be a nice gift in black. Then have it modded with a Seoul LED. PM sent.

Last edited:

Turt

Enlightened
wow lots of ideas so fast! I would love to pull off a blackhawk flashlight but man they are pricey... i'll be doing some searches but anyone know the best deals for this light? The G2L is definitely looking to be a good idea as well... my wallet might not need to go to the ER after the purchase... but I wish the G2L had a low setting.

Last edited:

MattK

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you can spend a bit more an E1B, L1 or E2L would offer 2 levels of output...

Surefire lights are fixed prices so it comes down to free shipping free batteries etc, I think we have the best, or one of the best deals on these lights.

Turt

Enlightened
From my understanding there doesn't seem to be any kind of safety rating requirements for his gear... the zebralight is also something I've been looking at... and... can anyone tell me how the high output of the E2L compares with the L1 or E1B (the L1 is rated at 65 lumens but is really more like 80 like the E1b. I'm wondering if the E2L's 60 lumen rating is underated as well... )

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you're going to get a SureFire LED which uses an optic (L1, E1B, E1L, E2L, etc) then I strongly recommend you get a diffuser as well. The stock beams are more suited to medium range use, and the intensity of the spot can make up close work difficult.

EuroBeetle

Newly Enlightened
I think a Blackhawk Gladius would be a nice gift in black. Then have it modded with a Seoul LED. PM sent.

A Blackhawk Gladius with a Seoul Emitter is called an Insight H2X Typhoon 2 and oh is it sweet and it does not have a greenish LED.Check one out,you will love it!

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Of more concern would be whether he's allowed uncontrolled tools at work.

Aviation maintenance is very big on tool control, you take a tool off the tool board (or out of a tool box) and you have to tag it out, either personally or to the airframe (or more usually both). When you sign for completing a job you are also signing that the tool control is complete. Carrying your own tools around is a very big no-no.

I've spent the last 12 years as a maintainer in military aviation, although not the US military no I'm not so sure about their systems, but I know that although we could probably get away with using our own light in the field, at our base and in the hangar we most certainly could not.

dougie

Enlightened
Didn't you guys get rid or your airforce? If I remember correctly an airforce was supposed to include interdiction capability which NZ doesn't have?.....lol!:D

Seriously though, you bring up a good point!

Doug

nzgunnie

Enlightened
Oh a comedian....

Well our govt did scrap our Skyhawk and Macchi fleets.

We stll drop bombs from the P3K Orion, and our SH2G Seasprites carry AGM 65 D Mavericks, so we are not totally unarmed.

Also the helicopters have MAG58s.... well maybe starting to clutch at straws a bit now.

LightWalker

Flashlight Enthusiast

Have you considered the Fenix TK10?
https://www.fenix-store.com/index.php?cPath=22_85

225 Lumens on high 60 Lumens on low
Good runtimes and built like a tank.

I believe FenixStore gives a lifetime warranty on this light.

Thy Word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path. Psalms 119:105