Upside down Computer screen!

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
If there are any Computer geniuses here I really need your help. I just turned on my computer this morning and everything is upside down. Its really weird, this is the first time I had experienced this. How do I put it back to normal? My LED screen is literally actually upside down right now so i can use it. Any help??

mechBgon

Enlightened
What operating system do you use (Linux, Windows, OS X), and what corrective measures have you tried so far?

If it's Windows, (1) try a reboot, (2) try starting in Safe Mode to see if it does the same thing, (3) check your advanced display options settings for a screen-rotation option, and (4) if it's WinXP or Vista, try a System Restore back to when it worked correctly.

Starting in Safe Mode is done by tapping the F8 key when you've just started the computer and are expecting the first Windows boot screen to show. System Restore would be found on Start > All Programs > Accessories > System Tools.

Hope that helps :)

Probedude

Enlightened
My MAME setup (Multiple Arcade Machine Emulator) using XP does this now and again but instead of upside down it turns sideways. Can't figure out how to turn it back except by using system restore to an earlier date.

Burgess

Flashaholic
:candle:

At first, i suspected a PRANK.

But now, it sounds like this could be a "normal" screw-up ? ? ?

:shakehead
_

Kato

Enlightened
Go to the Control Panel for your video card. You probably accidentally pressed a hotkey combination to rotate your display.

You can also try CTRL + ALT + (arrow key).

Last edited:

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
Hahahaha!

I run XP and this happened to me about a year ago and really freaked me out too.

A simple System Restore should fix the problem.

Grox

Flashlight Enthusiast
Go to the Control Panel for your video card. You probably accidentally pressed a hotkey combination to rotate your display.

You can also try CTRL + ALT + (arrow key).

That usually fixes it :)

Try CONTROL + ALT + UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW.

Buster Bodine

Newly Enlightened
I didn't know about the Ctrl+Alt+arrow thing but just tried it.

Oh man, am I gonna have some fun with this! :D

stitch_paradox

Enlightened
Re: Upside down Computer screen! FIXED!

Thanks you all for the advice, I just fixed my computer! I tried the: ctrl + alt + up key, and the system restore, and both worked flawlessly! But the easiest fix is the ctrl combination, I must have pressed the arrow key instead of the delete key when I tried to make my windows task manger appear. I thought it was a virus or something, now i just learned a great prank! Again thanks to everyone, I never thought CPF will be this helpful.

craig333

Newly Enlightened
There was a prank virus that did that, but that was a long time ago.

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Your video card driver has to support it, and you'll probably need to be on desktop not browser.
The video board in this system must not support it then; I had the desktop (with no windows) displayed, and nothing at all happened when I executed the described keypress sequences.

Essexman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is it a Dell PC?

I've found that the ctrl + alt + up key/down/left or right combo works on all Dell PC's (in the UK).

How do I know? My 5 year old was playing a game using the space bar and arrow keys when her little sister joined in, next thing we knew the whole display was round 90 degrees !!! :oops: eekkkk!! :confused: oh, and the mouse operates in the new direction making it very hard to google how to resolve the problem. :duh2:

I wonder how many times a day this comes up on helpdesks..........

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
bummer-txt-inv.png

Last edited:

dfred

Enlightened
Is it a Dell PC?

oh, and the mouse operates in the new direction making it very hard to google how to resolve the problem. :duh2:

I used to work on a some systems (digital microfilm scanners) that had portrait-oriented displays but were also attached via KVM switch to a system that did not support screen rotation. Although the monitors could be physically rotated, there's a quick trick for navigating rotated/flipped screens... Just rotate the mouse to match the orientation of the screen and it'll track as expected. Easier to do with cordless mice, but quite effective as long as you don't have to spend much time that way.

(And incidentally, if you want to make your brain hurt, turn your mouse 90 degrees right now and try to use it. :) )

Probedude

Enlightened
That usually fixes it :)

Try CONTROL + ALT + UP ARROW or DOWN ARROW.

COOL! didn't know about this!

Now if only I could find a simpler way to correct my my MAME setup when it rotates the screen 90 degrees.

I go to the display properties and the dimensions are actually swapped. All the allowable resolutions are swapped!

Like 1028x768 shows up a 768x1024, 1280x1024 shows as 1024x1280, etc.

Dave

stephenmadpotato

Enlightened
HAhahahahahahahaha a long time ago we did this to the school computers. One time about 3 years ago in 8th grade (i was a 15 cut me a break :p) me and a couple of guys went into an empty computer lab in my library, flipped all the screens upside down, changed to background to some fat guy modeling a swimsuit and then we flipped his picture upside down so it was right side up. Turned all the monitors off. Then some german class comes in 20 minutes later, sits down and the teacher says Okay, I want you all to pull up word. All the clicky springy noises from the monitors echo through the library. I hear a scream and a few giggles. The teacher says HEY WHAT DID YOU DO to some students. Then they said it was like that when they got there. Then he turns on his and its the same thing. Then there was an announcement on the P.A.saying the library would be closed for the afternoon. (Just kidding, I did not do this because that violates the school handbook and the law)