ARCMania Extreme III Problems

agrajag

Newly Enlightened
Hi All, I have had a ARCMania Extreme III for a couple of months now and it's been great.

Unfortunately I am now having some problems with it that seem to have started overnight.:confused:

When you twist it to the "P1" on position, there is a noticeable delay before it comes on but then when you continue to twist it into the high "P2" position, it will flicker as you twist. Then when it gets to the "P2" high position, it will go off for a short while (< 1s), then come back on, then step up to it's final brightness.

The flickering and blinking seems to have the effect that any of the programming moves (2SW's to user selectable brightness, 3SW's to strobe and more importantly 10SW's to factory reset) are being ignored.

I have tried different AAA's (brands, chemistry's etc) and a simple cleaning of the threads, but to no avail. I've also tried placing a small piece of foam in the spring to similar to the suggestion for Groundhog66 in http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=185395&page=7
post 187 to see if that would help but it didn't.

Does anyone have any more suggestions on a cure before I see about a replacement.

Cheers Andy

agrajag

Newly Enlightened
Thanks mudman,

After much rubbing and twisting, the flickering seems to have gone. There is still the blink going between P1 and P2 which makes things like getting the strobe or doing a reset difficult, but if I work on the cleaning tonight hopefully that will also disappear.

I see that the mating plate moves up and down so I'm assuming that this controls how the twisting is translated to electrical contacts matching P1 and P2

I am going to claim that the sudden UK heatwave made the nyogel less viscous and run further down the threads that I expected.

Makes me sound like I know what I'm on about, plus there really was a sudden temperature increase in the UK this week (26 deg. C)

Two amazing facts in one post:thumbsup:

Cheers to mudman and all at CPF

Andy

mikes1

Enlightened
Andy you need to clean the switch contacts the disc you speek of unscrews you need some very pointy tweezers put them in the small holes in the disc then turn it there is another disc below with holes both discs must be aligned so the tweezers drop in a little more then the hole asembley will unscrew it should not be to hard to unscrew then cleen up all the relevent pices it will be clear when you get it to bits.

Yes the weather is great!

Mike