• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired The Aeon Flashlight | Now Available

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey Folks,

For the past several months I've been working on creating a new light to satisfy my own needs, and also to quell the persistent number of individuals who have been in contact with me off and on asking me to make a light of this nature. :nana: ;) I've largely kept the project quiet up until now and the time has finally arrived where the release is about three weeks away, in early June, and I'd like to share with you all what's to come.

Without further ado, I present to you the Aeon:

2497467737_34104cf6bb.jpg

2497465773_a3e15f886a.jpg

2497466435_1f28cdd68e.jpg

2498296914_3c554754f6.jpg

(From Left to Right: Nautilus, Aeon, AA Cell, AAA Cell, CR123 Cell)

2497468711_9170e44ded.jpg

All the usual features are present – a fully regulated dual-stage converter, parabolic reflector for longer distance illumination, keyring with tailstanding ability, O-Ring seals at all junctions, the best LEDs on the market, and an ultra-small form factor. The Aeon also sports a lens made from sapphire to provide the best possible strength and durability and resistance against scratching.

External aesthetics are similar to that of the CR2 Ion, but the concept behind the light is entirely derived from the Nautilus; that is, a small pocket light that produces a good, well-rounded beam useful for illuminating things at a distance, while providing a long runtime with high brightness – the electronic and mechanical aspects are all a Nautilus in miniaturized form. I'm pleased with the results. :)

A summary of the light's features:
- Sapphire Lens
- Light Orange Peel Parabolic Reflector for Long Distance Illumination
- R2 Flux WH Color Bin CREE XR-E – 114 Lumens Minimum Output from the LED
- Titanium Construction with Brass Innards
- O-Ring Seals at All Junctions – Water Resistant
- Gold Plated Circuit Contacts
- 18.5mm in Diameter by 55mm Short
- 1.5 Ounces / 43 Grams Weight
- 1:30 Runtime on High Mode, 40 Hour Runtime on Low Mode off a single CR2 Cell (Fully Regulated on both levels)

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me or post here.

Thanks folks!

-Enrique

Last edited:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: The Aeon

June 7, 2008
A few photos of some of the completed titanium lights:

2558911920_04e56c634d.jpg

2558086531_af8a6edc19.jpg

2558911648_7639059633.jpg

2558086283_4dc3ec1396.jpg

2558087281_1b2dc82f32.jpg

May 17, 2008
As requested, a comparison of features between the Nautilus and Aeon:

Aeon
Sapphire Window for the Ultimate in Durability
Parabolic Reflector for Long Distance Illumination
R2 Flux Bin CREE XR-E XLamp® LED – 114 Lumens Minimum Output
Solid Titanium Construction with Brass Innards
O-Ring Seals at All Junctions – Water Resistant
Gold Plated Circuit Contacts
18.5mm in Diameter by 55mm Short
1.5 Ounces / 43 Grams Weight
Fully Regulated; 1:30 Runtime on High Mode, 40 Hour Runtime on Low Mode off a single CR2

Nautilus
Ultra Clear Lens for 99% Light Transmittance
Deep Parabolic Reflector for Long Distance Illumination
Q5 Flux Bin CREE XR-E XLamp® LED – 107 Lumens Minimum Output (Current run has the same R2 WH LED as the Aeon)
20.5mm in Diameter by 67mm Short
2 Ounces / 57 Grams Weight
Fully Regulated; 2:45 Runtime on High Mode, 75 Hour Runtime on Low Mode off a single CR123

Last edited:

mspeterson

Enlightened

Well it's about time...:nana:

Very impressive as usual! Congratulations, this will be an instant classic!:twothumbs

As one of the people guilty of pestering you about this light, I say Thank You!

white light

Enlightened

Hello Enrique,

:twothumbs Well ,you know I'll be waiting.I need to fill some missing spots near all my Ti Ions :naughty: :laughing:.Great job as always :grin2:

charlesn

Enlightened

Enrique, it would be helpful to include Nautilus runtimes and outputs in your first post for comparison.

tnuckels

Enlightened

And one just for me in Aluminum-Bronze!

Pretty PLEASE!!!

With the runtimes and outputs your squeezing out of your lights, CR2 is looking better all the time.

wolverine1

Newly Enlightened

Endeavour,

I was introduced to your CR2's when they came out, I have several. I then acquired several Nautilus's. I believe your lights are some of the best made IMHO. I am really looking forward to the Aeon, with the Nautilus electronics. This will be one "heck" of a light.... ::twothumbs

Thanks,

Rick -- Wolverine1

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast

Hey Folks,

charlesn: Here are the features of the Nautilus and Aeon, I'll update the second post with this information soon.

Aeon
Sapphire Window for the Ultimate in Durability
Parabolic Reflector for Long Distance Illumination
R2 Flux Bin CREE XR-E XLamp® LED – 114 Lumens Minimum Output
18.5mm in Diameter by 55mm Short
1.5 Ounces / 43 Grams Weight
Fully Regulated; 1:30 Runtime on High Mode, 40 Hour Runtime on Low Mode off a single CR2

Nautilus
Ultra Clear Lens for 99% Light Transmittance
Deep Parabolic Reflector for Long Distance Illumination
Q5 Flux Bin CREE XR-E XLamp® LED – 107 Lumens Minimum Output
20.5mm in Diameter by 67mm Short
2 Ounces / 57 Grams Weight
Fully Regulated; 2:45 Runtime on High Mode, 75 Hour Runtime on Low Mode off a single CR123

moeman: If an aluminum run were to happen it would be sometime after the titanium run, but I don't know when it will happen at this point. As a matter of course I typically do not discuss projects unless they're close to, or ready for release - I don't like the multi-month or multi-year projects that seem to be common, so I try to make for as close to instant satisfaction as possible. :nana: :)

tnuckels: I can say with certainty that an aluminum bronze light won't happen. I actually ordered a bar of the material to make a small number of them along with the the titanium ones being made, and the foundry claimed to have stock. Come three weeks later I still had no bar and the machining was done. Someone at the foundry dropped the ball somewhere along the line, so that's that.

AndyTiedye: "If only you knew the power of the tie dye." :wave: The light was not designed to be used with rechargeable cells, and using the standard 3.7-4.2 Volt cells causes undesirable operation. There are three volt cells in rechargeable format that do not cause an operational issue in the flashlight. The biggest problem with rechargeable cells is that they like exploding if mistreated, if they're overcharged, or, more importantly for flaslights, if they're over-discharged. This is particularly true of unprotected lithium-ion cells, but even ones with protection circuits do can and do fail. Hence why I don't recommend their use and anything that happens during their operation is entirely at your own risk. As I've said before, with the runtime you get on primary cells with my lights there's little reason not to use them - they're safer, provide more energy, and rarely need replacing.

Thanks for the kind words, folks, I'm looking forward to the day when these make it over to everyone! :)

-Enrique

Last edited:

AndyTiedye

Flashlight Enthusiast

I use a LiFePO4 (nominal 3 volt rechargeable) in the Nautilus, but I haven't seen any of these in CR2 size.

LiFePO4's are particularly nice because they have the voltage that lights like yours expect, and they don't :poof: if they get unhappy.