Seen on Ebay

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Maybe I should bid on this, win it, and then run it through TPZ. I like the little compass on it; though it might be of limited use in the concrete & steel jungle here. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Well, you-know-who just sniped this light with less than 1 minute to go, and got it for less than $12.00!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
The compass probably won't do me any good since the rafters here are all steel, but that isn't going to affect the light portion.

There are a few others left (click on the "Other Auctions" link), so anybody here can snipe them and I won't know a thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris T

Newly Enlightened
Do you have an actual Zipka? I'd like to see the comparison.

Chris

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I've got a Tikka, but not a Zipka, so I really can't compare the ebay light with a Zipka face to face.
I can run the ebay light through The Punishment Zone though, which is exactly what I indend to do. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wim Hertog

Enlightened
I have one...
The leds are extremely dim, compared to Nichias ( and they draw + 50mA a piece!) and the light itself is rather low quality. You can replace the LEDs with nichias and have a decent headlight for $12

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I got emailed this morning or yesterday morning that my light is on its way. So we'll know soon enough whether this is a piece of {vulgar term for feces} or not. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Somewhere around here, I have a Petzl Tikka, but not a Zipka. I'll figure out *something* to compare the new light with, but it's not going to be a Zipka. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
Must have been Thursday I got that email, because the light showed up today! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif
It's about as bright as (and bluer than!) the "LED Club Flushlight" I got last spring, and the compass has a bubble in it so the directional disk inside turns round and round without really settling on north.

The "attachment" is unique though. Instead of a lanyard or headband, the Dostone headlight uses a thin cord that retracts into some kind of a spring-loaded reel inside the compass portion. There's a rubbery pad on the back of the light, to prevent slipping and to prevent the light from digging into your head during use. You have to take the light off your head in order to use the compass, so that is of limited value (assuming yours doesn't have a bubble in it and turn around needlessly) so you may want to bring another compass even though the light comes with one.

I haven't tried putting it on yet, or writing a web page for it yet, but I ought to get it taken care of pretty soon.

Shark

Enlightened
Craig if its as bright as the LED Club flashlight maybe you should also bring another flashlight with you so you can read the compass. The Led Club flashlight should have came with a warning label you know like a pack of cigaretts "WARNING this light will make you strain your eyes trip and fall down" lets hope the head band has more functuality than the lanyard on the LED Club flashlight. Functuality is that a word? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon3.gif

The_LED_Museum

*Retired*
I don't think the manufacturer had "functionality" in mind when they invented this flashlight. There are too many things wrong with it.
Sure, it would probably work fine for changing a fuse or flipping a breaker in the basement, or for throwing away a yucky thing of milk in the outside can at night; but if it were taken outdoors and DEPENDED ON, I might become a bit worried and start digging around for other headlamps. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/icon15.gif