Looking for light testing partner in SJ CA

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am looking to partner up with a flashaholic in doing some light testing and photographing of the outputs of LED flashlights (couple incans as well). I have access to a calibrated integration sphere/meter at work where I measure numerous flashlights. I also have electronic test equipment and digital camera microscopes for taking pictures up close and personal. What I am looking for is some one with a good light meter (lux), is familiar with it to compare Lumens measurements to Lux of hot spot and side spill and has a good digital camera for taking pics of the beams that uses manual exposure mode (mine is auto exposure only not looking to buy yet more equipment just yet). I am not looking to ship flashlights back and forth. I am looking for some on who lives fairly close to San Jose California area to come do some testing.

If you have such equipment and are good with it, send me a pm. I have several LED lights and some new P60 replacement pills I want to compare and photograph the beam patterns in a new and different way.

So far in the single LED 2 CR123 cell category I have found nothing that is brighter than the Fenix T1 at 225 out the front lumens measured when new. Not talking about the P7s or multiple LED heads. I could measure a P7 in the IS but I don't have one and not yet ready to buy into this mega power draw beast just yet, the larger head units will not fit into the opening port unfortunately. That's not to say there aren't brigher ones out there, but I haven't bought them all and was hoping some one local could swing by with a few of his own. Thanks, G.

KeyGrip

Flashlight Enthusiast
I won't be there until September, but I go to college in Santa Cruz. Unfortunately I don't have any complicated testing equipment but I can borrow my brother's fancy digital camera.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have almost unlimited access to a shooting range that I help run and want to take pictures there of targets.

here is an example.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/20634664@N02/2620172694/in/set-72157605868841408/

I think I will forego the measurments of Lux altogether if I can get some better comparative photos across the width of the range.

The objective is to see how well the various flashlights/mods can help you to see potential targets/threats across a wide distance and not just one person standing in the center of your beam.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
solarforcel2m60f9vloh1.jpg

This is the image with the Malkoff M60 Flood

mg4dtlux150llqg9.jpg

This is the image with the 4 D cell maglight and Terralux 150 Lumen (their claim) LED.

The difference in beam pattern is obvious but the Malkoff was not that bright to the eye, image was compiled over 17 seconds.

clintb

Enlightened
I don't have a lux meter, but I have the lights in my sig, a Canon 10D dSLR w / 28-135 IS lens and a Canon G7. I'm in San Mateo and work in Mountain View.