Square beam from my aspheric mag

ConfederateScott

Enlightened
I was just wondering if anyone else has the perfectly square beam pattern from an aspheric mag? The beam is so square I can lay the top or bottom of the beam perfectly across the neighbors roofline from side to side. I am using a Terralux LED bulb with no reflector. I don't mean just kind of square.......it is perfectly square out as far as the beam reaches. I will try to post beamshots tomorrow.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's normal with aspheric lense, the beam is actually an projected image of led die itself.

Put a magnifying lense infront of any cree/seoul led light you'll see the same thing.

choppers

Flashlight Enthusiast
I get the same thing...I love it.....these lights are great....I have some friends that don't have street light in their neighborhood....so whenever I go over at night I bring my aspheric......it literally looks like a LightSaber cutting through the darkness with it s square beam....it always impresses!!!:)

baterija

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well others have answered the key question, which is yes its normal. If you defocus it just a touch it should be a little less of the perfect image of the die with most of the throw.

If you think the die image is freaky find the threads with beamshots of aspherics on an Incan. That projects the squiggle of the filament. There was also a P3D (??? i think) thread where someone used one with the orange peel reflector still in place that produced a bizarre beam shot at perfect focus.

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well others have answered the key question, which is yes its normal. If you defocus it just a touch it should be a little less of the perfect image of the die with most of the throw.

I say more when 'defocussed'. Then you're projecting light collected by the dome, not just the small angle of light from the die.

Last edited: