Guessing Game & Future Trends

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
So, I was bored and curious, and wanted to play a game - limiting ourselves to evolutionary changes in technology, what do you think Surefire and Fenix & co will be selling in 2020?

I'm gonna go with a 5 watt HID Aviator like I mentioned in the last thread - I think they could do it with their current thrust into HID R&D in twelve years.

(Why 2020? It's a good solid round year. Go ahead and fudge it either way, but say why you did.)

sed6

Enlightened
Surefire will be selling spark plugs, or something similiar. Fenix will be selling fully autonomous sex-bots!

TONY M

Flashlight Enthusiast
Fenix will be selling fully autonomous sex-bots!
Sounds good!

Super high output flashlights will probably be built into our mobile phones.

I think that manufacturers might be offering wrist watches that can emit sub 0.001 lumen indefenitely and up to 200 lumens for a few hours! :devil:

How about lights that are built into you're skull that run off body heat... Or even light emitting skin.
crackup.gif
Even fingernail lights.

BTW. I have the patent for the second idea.
rolleye11.gif

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Maybe by 2020, Surefire will finally release a holster for the M6.

(I know there are aftermaket holsters for it. But SF makes a holster for their less popular 10x Dominator).

Rossymeister

Enlightened
I think by 2020, surefire will be selling tactical watches and tactical toothbrushes.

crackup.gif

--

But all joking aside,I think we will see more infinitely variable lights in surefires product line.

I also believe that fenix will continue their current trend of updating their current lights with the latest emitters.

This is just hypothesis though

Surefire will make a 1 CR123 expandable flashlight to fit your hand perfectly. When you're done, just slide it back together, and put in your pocket.
The government will shut Fenix down for too many plane crashes by blinding lights.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I have a feeling that Olight will become a very dominant player in the industry.

eebowler

Flashlight Enthusiast
MagLite will announce a new Cree based LED light.
That's a good one! :crackup:

I actually think that much larger die LEDs would be prevalent. Thermal conductivities would have improved by then and heat would not be as much of an issue.

Last edited:

curlyfry562

Enlightened
By 2020 LED technology will have gone forward by leaps and bounds, while battery technology will be moving at relatively a snails pace, I guess maybe one new battery chemistry, but that is pushing it. Hopefully the LEDs we will be using in 2020 will draw so little power we can run them off Lithium thionyl chloride batteries, which only put out about 200mA.

Originally Posted by Culhain
MagLite will announce a new Cree based LED light.

Sounds about right

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I think that maglite will have finally realized that to keep up with the flashlight industry they will have to make their lights more powerful, smaller, and have... ORANGEPEEL REFLECTORS!!!(DUN! DUN! DUNNNNNN!)

Bobpuvel

Enlightened
I think that maglite will have finally realized that to keep up with the flashlight industry they will have to make their lights more powerful, smaller, and have... ORANGEPEEL REFLECTORS!!!(DUN! DUN! DUNNNNNN!) ohh no!!!!...it's about time!

Tomcat!

Enlightened
All lights will be powered by the new salt water/hydrogen CR123456 fuel cells. A year later Sanyo will announce a low salt version for flashaholics with high blood pressure.