Duracell Leaked inside my light

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
First of all, thanks for the incredible wealth of knowledge from all of those who contribute to this forum.

I checked my Streamlight 3AA Luxeon, which is a general purpose light that I use mostly for peering in computers and found that the one of the Duracells dated 2013 was leaking and made it difficult to remove two of the batteries. I checked the voltage on the batteries and they were 1.417 1.449 and 1.364 and the light worked fine when I removed the batteries. The leak is in the middle of the tube and a little hard to get to.
What is the stuff that leaked out and what is the best method of cleaning it out of the tube so I can use my lite again.

I really like the way this light feels in my hand and it puts out the right amount of light for what I use it for.

Thanks,
Mario

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think it is potassium hydroxide that has leaked from the batteries. It can be cleaned with baking soda mixed with water to make a paste.

Please use caution when cleaning and use rubber gloves.

Last edited:

Nitroz

Flashlight Enthusiast
If it's that bad, you could make a claim with Duracell.

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I don't think it's that bad. Its just in the center of the tube and a little hard to get to. I was more curious what is leaking out and what causes it to do that. It's been quite a while since Ive had a battery leak on me mostly because I use nimh or li-ion in all of my other lights.
Thanks

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I shudder to think how many CPF'ers still use Alkaline cells. Leakage is the main reason I never recommend them... even though I get Eveready industrials for free at work. The only lights crappy enough for alkalines are those $.99 PR lights you see at the dollar store.

I have been able to revive about half of my leaks with water/baking soda and a Q-tip or toothbrush.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
** Never store the cells inside your lite **

Take them out when not used. Sorry, it's that simple. Especially in a car.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
** Never store the cells inside your lite **

Take them out when not used. Sorry, it's that simple. Especially in a car.

Its really not that simple if you use your light sporadically throughout the day on the job or regular enough to justify leaving it loaded. The kinds of $$$ CPF'ers invest in their lights deserve a more stable cell chemistry.

Last edited:

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I really like the way this light feels in my hand and it puts out the right amount of light for what I use it for.

Thanks,
Mario

Once you clean your light, you're better off using Energizer e2 lithium cells in it. They come as rechargeables or as primaries.

Among other advantages over Alkaline cells, the lithium cells don't leak. :twothumbs

Muddquez

Newly Enlightened
I wont be using Alkalines regularly anymore. The reason I use AA Lights for some purposes is that, if I need batteries in a pinch I can use batteries available anywhere. I just have to remember to replace them with more stable batteries when I can.

Outdoors Fanatic

Flashlight Enthusiast
Now you know why most experienced flashaholics hate and abhor those nasty leaking *******s. Not only they are useless for high power lights but they will also ruin your gear.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
actually to better clean alkaline residue it is a base and you need an acid to dissolve it. I use vinegar to clean up after alkalines and then water and then isopropyl alcohol. I have gotten to where I don't leave alkaline batteries in any thing I don't use regularly because of the leak factor. All but cheap flashlights have nimh in them or they are empty. I don't mind either leaving LSD batteries or having to charge nimh every time I want to use a light instead of risking cleaning up after a leak.