Problems with my D10

dwd2010

Newly Enlightened
First post. Had my D10 for several months. But as of today piston switch not working. Have to twist for on and off. Also noticed batteries (alkalines) not lasting very long. So I observed D10 more closely over last few weeks and noticed odd behaviour. For example before going to bed a very dim flicker could be seen at led. Then one night on way to bathroom I coincidentally notice my light come on by itself. Don't know if this has been reported before but did try a search before posting this. Any known issues and remedies?? thanks Dirk

Marlinaholic

Newly Enlightened
I am no expert, but take the piston system apart, clean everything with alcohol, then grease it with some sort of silicone based lube. If that doesn't work, contact 4Sevens as I believe they are the warranty guys for all Nitecore stuff. Might have to ship it back to them if its a problem with the electronics.

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
There should be a gap or cut in the outer brass looking ring in the head. You see it during battery changes. I remember something about putting a knife tip or small screwdriver in the gap and widening it a bit.

I can't remember if that's the fix for your problem or a different issue entirely!
:oops:

dwd2010

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for replies.

Sgt Led, do have that brass ring---but gapping it more didn't do anything.

Marlinaholic, will try cleaning before contacting 4sevens. Just don't want to be without this beautiful light. I use it daily in attics and under houses as the local "Cable Guy"

brucec

Enlightened
Pretty much all of the Nitecore PD's need a good cleaning and relubing. The flickering is from some kind of electronics bug and luck of the draw. They issued a newer version which has 4-5 big black IC chips visible on the back, vs 1-2 for the older version. That supposedly fixes the flickering problem, but I only have the older style with no flickering so I cannot confirm.

D10's are not well regulated at high levels with alkalines. Most people are using NiMH or Li-Ion.

The light turning on by itself is most likely due to a sticky piston ring. When you twisted it off, the battery tube broke contact making the light turn off. However, the piston ring was still stuck in place and later on, it decided to unstick and pop back. If the battery tube was not unscrewed far enough, the piston ring will pop back far enough to re-establish contact with the battery tube and turn the light back on. I had this happen in my backpack once and it was VERY hot when I found it. Opening up the piston ring with a small screwdriver will help. I don't think the spring assembly is accessible on the D10, but on the EX10, you can clean and relube it. Aside from these modifications, I always give my units a good slap after turning them off to make sure the piston ring has fully popped back. Good luck!

dwd2010

Newly Enlightened
Pretty much all of the Nitecore PD's need a good cleaning and relubing. The flickering is from some kind of electronics bug and luck of the draw. They issued a newer version which has 4-5 big black IC chips visible on the back, vs 1-2 for the older version. That supposedly fixes the flickering problem, but I only have the older style with no flickering so I cannot confirm.

Mine appears to have 1 IC chip visible.

D10's are not well regulated at high levels with alkalines. Most people are using NiMH or Li-Ion.

Yeah, in the works but get alkalines free from work. Yes we do recycle them though.

The light turning on by itself is most likely due to a sticky piston ring. When you twisted it off, the battery tube broke contact making the light turn off. However, the piston ring was still stuck in place and later on, it decided to unstick and pop back. If the battery tube was not unscrewed far enough, the piston ring will pop back far enough to re-establish contact with the battery tube and turn the light back on. I had this happen in my backpack once and it was VERY hot when I found it. Opening up the piston ring with a small screwdriver will help. I don't think the spring assembly is accessible on the D10, but on the EX10, you can clean and relube it. Aside from these modifications, I always give my units a good slap after turning them off to make sure the piston ring has fully popped back. Good luck!

Before recent troubles, i always used the light fully twisted tight using the excellent PD switch for on/off and dimming. Guess your above explanation still applies but am spoiled by the way it should work. Have also experienced the hot pocket from light coming on. Always attributed it to accidental activation, however, before recent troubles when light was working properly, it would at times flicker when turned off or worse come back on w/o pushing button. Have tried the cleaning to no avail.
Thanks for your consideration though. Looks like i might be contacting 4sevens.

LED-holic

Flashlight Enthusiast
First post. Had my D10 for several months. But as of today piston switch not working. Have to twist for on and off. Also noticed batteries (alkalines) not lasting very long. So I observed D10 more closely over last few weeks and noticed odd behaviour. For example before going to bed a very dim flicker could be seen at led. Then one night on way to bathroom I coincidentally notice my light come on by itself. Don't know if this has been reported before but did try a search before posting this. Any known issues and remedies?? thanks Dirk
How can the piston switch not work and yet twist on and off still work? It's not two separate switches, it's the same mechanism, that click the brass ring to turn it on / off.

Sounds like it needs a good cleaning / lube to free the piston so it will click smoothly. Maybe some dirt / gunk got in the piston tube and is preventing smooth movement.

superflytnt

Enlightened
I'd call wherever you got the light for a replacement. This was a known issue with just a few of the earliest lights. I saw this on vid with a similar problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxhDD0300C8
and have read a few posts of first gen D10's glowing while off.
IMO, that it is a problem and you need a replacement.............

Oh and :welcome: sorry this had to be your first post :)

Last edited:

Jarl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always give my units a good slap after turning them off

Erg. That reminds me of $1 2D incans >.>

I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that, just because every time I hit it I'd think "and this is progress because?"

dwd2010

Newly Enlightened
I'd call wherever you got the light for a replacement. This was a known issue with just a few of the earliest lights. I saw this on vid with a similar problem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxhDD0300C8
and have read a few posts of first gen D10's glowing while off.
IMO, that it is a problem and you need a replacement.............

Oh and :welcome: sorry this had to be your first post :)

The linked video is exactly whats been happening to my D10 also. Thanks for that link.

Yeah, not a good first post but most people here are way smarter than me and I've been busy playing catch up. Between here and edcforums my wife always gives me grief for spending so much time on the computer. Have to ration my time accordingly. Time and energy seem to be dwindling the older I get.

brucec

Enlightened
Erg. That reminds me of $1 2D incans >.>

I don't think I could ever bring myself to do that, just because every time I hit it I'd think "and this is progress because?"

Yeah, I think I'm a bit gunshy from the one time it happened. That light was REALLY hot. I had to hold it with my jacket to turn it off. Anyway, after maintenance and relubing, it never happened again. Great first run lights, but I bought two identical units because I wanted to increase my chances of getting at least one nicely working unit. I don't quite understand why Nitecore chose to modify the original McGizmo design in favor of this piston ring with gap.

lengendcpf

Enlightened

My D10 also consumes alot of battery power, i.e. when I left the light not using for a few days, after turning it on again, the battery only last a while before I have to put in a new battery. But it's ok as I am using rechargeables nimhs..

I only noticed it being turned on by itself for 1 time only during my 3 months of ownership..