P3d wonderments

aerolight

Newly Enlightened
I am done lurking. :wave: I need help. It is not help with being a flashaholic... frankly I do not want to be cured...

It seems that when I like a light I buy a second one so I have a pair. My four month old P3D Q5 became more of a favorite than I ever expected, so I just got another one from Fenixstore....

The new one is also a premium Q5 but is not as bright as the original one.... on low, medium, and high it is easily less bright... especially low... On turbo it is quite difficult to see the difference with just eyes... but I believe it is there also.

I am disappointed. The whole idea was to have two of the same to use interchangeably and these are clearly different lights, also in case one was lost or if broken, I had spares..

The specs are the same on paper. Should I send it back?

Am I being too picky? Is my discomfort a neurotic manifestation of Flashaholism?

Did I get an extra weak emitter? They are both supposed to be Q5s. Any Advice??

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Marduke

Flashaholic
Make sure you clean the contacts on both. That means the PCB, the threads on the front of the body, the tailcap, and the edge of the body on the back.

Are they the same tint?

divine

Flashlight Enthusiast
Is the reflector different in the two lights?

I have an old P3D CE (has a smooth reflector) and a new P3D Q5 (with a Textured reflector)... The Q5 is rated at 45 more lumens, but you could be fooled into thinking the smooth reflector one is brighter.

Welcome. :welcome:

aerolight

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I suppose there could be dirt or corrosion introducing resistance in a connection, but that seems like a lot of work for a new light. The tint is very slightly different but I do not believe that is what I am seeing. I have two Surefire L1s one green one pink but they look equally bright.

They are both textured reflectors.

Marduke

Flashaholic
thanks for the welcome and the replies.

I suppose there could be dirt or corrosion introducing resistance in a connection, but that seems like a lot of work for a new light. The tint is very slightly different but I do not believe that is what I am seeing. I have two Surefire L1s one green one pink but they look equally bright.

They are both textured reflectors.

All new lights need cleaned with at least alcohol swabs. It's part of high-end light ownwership

aerolight

Newly Enlightened
All new lights need cleaned with at least alcohol swabs. It's part of high-end light ownwership

Hmmm.... tough crowd. I hope the other lights don't see this and get any ideas. I like to drive them, not work on them....

.....but OK seriously, I'll try it.... thanks Marduke.

ClarkWGrizwald

Newly Enlightened
im wondering why this hasnt been mentioned yet, are the batteries of equal value? i.e. are they both new? have you tried switching batteries?

edap617

Newly Enlightened
I have also noticed that the newer L1D, and L2D and P3D are not as bright as the older ones even though they are all Q5.

I got my first Fenix, a L2D Q5 with OP reflector last April. I was so impressed with its tint and bightness and I decided to get two more Fenix lights, a P3D Q5 and and L1D. When I tried to compare the beam of the L2D and the P3D I also got disgusted. My L2D Q5 is brighter than the P3D in all modes except turbo. I also eperienced lower brighness with the newer L1D Q5 using L2D body tube.

It seems that the newer batch of Fenix emitters have a lower lumens output in all modes except turbo. I have also noticed that the tint of the newer ones are warmer.

aerolight

Newly Enlightened
im wondering why this hasnt been mentioned yet, are the batteries of equal value? i.e. are they both new? have you tried switching batteries?

Yes thank you, the first thing I did was swap out the batteries to eliminate that variable.

I think this could just be manufacturing tolerances as the real big difference is on low. It is huge. On all the other levels, there is just a subtle difference.

Marduke

Flashaholic
It was introduced gradually. You can see two pads on either side of the positive contact on the PCB if it has reverse polarity protection.

I think the updated circuit with reverse polarity protection had a slight levels tweak. However, since the names stayed the same, they specs couldn't change without major confusing. But the new PD30 (and LD20/LD10) use the same circuit and post the updated specs. The specs for the PD30 should be more accurate for a P3D which has the new PCB.

edap617

Newly Enlightened
Are the newer lights you relating to the ones with reverse polarity protection?

Yes, I am refering the the ones with reverse polarity protection. The one on the left side.

S6302121.jpg

Jackyl

Enlightened
I noticed that my first batch P3D-CE seemed to out perform my new Q5. Then I noticed that "high" mode was just a flickering medium and turbo didn't work at all...I sent it back and am waiting on a PD30. I hope there aren't issues with the new modules.