Nitecore D10 Q5 vs Fenix LD10(or L1D) Q5

vitekboi

Newly Enlightened
Hey guys i'm looking for my first quality flashlight for edc and I can't decide between these two. I like the styling of the LD10 compared to the L1D and I like the size of the D10. My main concern about the D10 is the variable output. I would like to use the low and medium power the most, but does it take a long time to switch from low to medium as opposed to clicking the switch on the fenix? Which UI would be better? I guess for the Fenix I like the idea of knowing exactly which output mode its currently on as opposed to the variable output where you have to compare the low and high and estimate in between. Maybe i'm just thinking too hard into it haha. Any advice for a newby like me on the pros and cons to these lights, especially about the UI and the changing of the outputs? Thanks!!!

cal..45

Enlightened
I have both - a nitecore D10 and a fenix L1D - and the D10 wins all the way, hands down.

the nitecore is shorter, thinner, lighter. it can set to a very low low (around 1-2 lumens I guess) and every wanted level in between up to maximum. it has a lot better grip than the fenix due to its knurled surface. the beam has a great pattern, the rings are less noticable than on the fenix. it can be switched on/off without making a noise because it has no clicky. it also can be turned on/off by simply twisting the head - you know the old mini maglite style.

I really can't find anything I don't like about this light, its not often the case but I gotta say its the perfect EDC- at least for me.

now, don't think the fenix L1D is a bad light, its really not. it offers SOS and strobe mode if that is important to you and is very reliable. mine survided a few harsh drops on concrete (I also use it as my primary bike light) and besides a few scars on the head and tail there was never a problem. I'm sure the nitecore is as reliable as well, but I just got it two month ago, while the fenix was my EDC for 1.5 years.

IMO you can't go wrong with either, but if I had to decide between those two, the D10 would be definitely my first choice. (ahh what the heck, just get both :grin2: )

regards, holger

Last edited:

PhotonBoy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Annapolis Valley, Nova Scotia, Canada http://tinyu
It takes about 4 seconds to ramp up or down on the brightness scale with the D10. Sometimes you may need to fiddle a bit to get the exact brightness you want. The low on the D10 is *far* lower than on the Fenix lights. It lasts about 2 days on the lowest level, but I haven't had to test this yet. In survival mode (hurricane, etc.) this is handy.

I find the knurling on the D10 a bit aggressive but your mileage may vary. Overall, the D10 is a better bet than the Fenix. I'm very happy with mine.

I'm hoping that NiteCore comes out with an AAA version soon. I really like the Fenix L0D CE Q4 on my keychain.

Glowman

Newly Enlightened
I'll get D10 over L1D if I have to choose only one. But, I will definitely get both if allowed. I have both lights for each has its pros and cons.

If you're talking about really seriously using the tool (in this case, the lights) you don't have to really be concerned on what level the brightness is set. For a D10, just set it to the desired level enough for the needed illumination... not too glaring and not too dim for close view. We need to only be concerned of the low mode if you want to make sure you have enough light to last you long enough to get the job done. And for this, D10 wins since it can go very low. On situations where you don't need the very low, L1D wins for its very efficient circuit.

Setting brightness to lower level at high efficiency is one of the biggest advantage of LED lights over incans.

For me, D10 suits my usual applications.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nitecore D10 has very nice knurling and is slightly smaller. But the UI just doesn't work for me. I prefer simple twist-untwist for switching between turbo and low with L1D. It is faster and simpler.

Tekno_Cowboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I EDC a D10. I like the level switching, and I get some pretty good runtime out of it too. The main advantage for me though, is that I'm not going through the little rubber switch covers constantly, since the D10 has a metal "button". Just my 2c worth.

Gator762

Enlightened
I don't own a D10, but personally I'd go Fenix for few reasons: simple 1 click activation for high and low like jirik said, and on a 14500 LiFePO4 you get much higher output. My EDC favorite now. You can also lego with a 2 AA body.

Both have their pros and cons, depends on what you want more.

D10 - Very low low. Aggressive knurling. More adjustable light levels.

Fenix - Simple UI, the strobe and SOS. Blazing LiFePO4 output. Ability to get L2D or P2D body. Smoother finish.

To each their own - I prefer the smoother finish on the Fenix. I wear dress clothes most often, and don't like aggressive knurling as it eats stuff and I don't see it being necessary on a small EDC light. Some here have a near irrational hate of the strobe modes. ;)
Strobe mode doesn't bother me.

cal..45

Enlightened
But the UI just doesn't work for me. I prefer simple twist-untwist for switching between turbo and low with L1D. It is faster and simpler.

with all due respect but I think switching between low and turbo is neither faster nor simpler with the fenix.

you need two hands to twist the head to go from low to turbo, or you have to halfclick the tailswitch twice to go from low to high (turbo or high doesen't make a visible difference with a single aa/mignon/alkaline/nimh).

with the nitecore on the other hand, you just need to press the tailswitch full twice and leave it for about 0.5 seconds pressed to go instantly from low (or whatever mode) to high (max). its actually easier to do so, than with the fenix due to the highly reduced risk of switching the flashlight off instead to change the brightness.

regards, holger

mostly harmless

Newly Enlightened
hi everyone,
thanks for the valuable info so far.
i've been trying to crack down the same question for a while now and i'm still very confused! i've read a great deal in the forums about D10, LD1 and LD10, but still could use some help.
as far as the edc goes, arc aaa-p does it for me. i need a single aa for my climbing trips and my primary concern (obsession, actually) is constant brightness. then comes the throw. other than that, i suppose i'll be quiet happy with the construction and operation of any of these three lights. so,
bearing in mind that i'll be using 2100 mah nimh's and regular alkalines, i have two basic questions:
reading from the manifacturer info and the forums, can i assume that all these lights have more or less the same throw in hi modes or any one of them perform significantly better? (any comments on cree vs. osram gd?)
which of these lights is better regulated? does nitecore really sack as badly as it is shown in the charts? how significant is the difference between nitecore and fenix in action when it comes to constant brightness?
i'm about to order and got only one shot for now, as shipping across the ocean is not very cheap and practical..
sigh.gif
some geniune help needed here for the final decision.

jirik_cz

Flashlight Enthusiast
with all due respect but I think switching between low and turbo is neither faster nor simpler with the fenix.

I know how D10 operates, I've had it for one week. But I just don't like the UI. The preset low is too low for me. I like the preset modes that Fenix has. From Edgetac I would better buy Nitecore Defender infinity, it has much better UI for me.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
get both and return the one you don't like. you need to try them out in your hands. who knows.. you might end up keeping both for different reasons. :whistle:

Gator762

Enlightened
with the nitecore on the other hand, you just need to press the tailswitch full twice and leave it for about 0.5 seconds pressed to go instantly from low (or whatever mode) to high (max). its actually easier to do so, than with the fenix due to the highly reduced risk of switching the flashlight off instead to change the brightness.

regards, holger

Two full presses and waiting is not instant. Not bashing here, just pointing out the error.

If you can't tell the difference between high and max on a Fenix, why even bother with high? I use low and max a vast majority of the time. With the cost savings of using rechargeable cells why even bother. Max is RARELY ever too much. I want more! :D

superflytnt

Enlightened
hi everyone,
thanks for the valuable info so far.
i've been trying to crack down the same question for a while now and i'm still very confused! i've read a great deal in the forums about D10, LD1 and LD10, but still could use some help.
as far as the edc goes, arc aaa-p does it for me. i need a single aa for my climbing trips and my primary concern (obsession, actually) is constant brightness. then comes the throw. other than that, i suppose i'll be quiet happy with the construction and operation of any of these three lights. so,
bearing in mind that i'll be using 2100 mah nimh's and regular alkalines, i have two basic questions:
reading from the manifacturer info and the forums, can i assume that all these lights have more or less the same throw in hi modes or any one of them perform significantly better? (any comments on cree vs. osram gd?)
which of these lights is better regulated? does nitecore really sack as badly as it is shown in the charts? how significant is the difference between nitecore and fenix in action when it comes to constant brightness?
i'm about to order and got only one shot for now, as shipping across the ocean is not very cheap and practical..
sigh.gif
some geniune help needed here for the final decision.

These two threads should give you a good idea of the runtime's of the D10 and one compares it to the L1D.
https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202436

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/206178

FWIW, I have the D10 and love it. Over 4 days on low with an ALKALINE!
Happy reading and :welcome:

loanshark

Enlightened
If I had to choose one of these lights for a climbing trip the D10 wins hands down. It doesn't even come close... I like my L1D very much but it's not as useful in the real world. Knurling would be a requirement for any light that goes hiking, camping or climbing with me. I honestly think if you get the L1D for climbing you'll be disappointed. Now for around the house and such the L1D shines and is more efficient...

cal..45

Enlightened
[FONT=&quot]
Two full presses and waiting is not instant. Not bashing here, just pointing out the error.

there is no error. a half second can hardly be considered as "waiting" and the step from low (or whatever mode) to max is done without any ramping thats what I was refering to.

If you can't tell the difference between high and max on a Fenix, why even bother with high?

well, the difference between max and turbo may not be visible, but there is nevertheless a difference. I use the L1D as my primary bike light and on a few occasion the light was setting itself from high to low, probably due to the shaking of the handlebar. it won't happen however, if its head is locked on turbo.

I use low and max a vast majority of the time. With the cost savings of using rechargeable cells why even bother. Max is RARELY ever too much. I want more!
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] I agree, nothing to bother with rechargeables "guilt-free lumens", again I was only refering to a straight technical aspect.

@ mostly harmless,

you can purchase both lights from 4sevens.com they ship worldwide for free and have a very good customer service. I ordered now 4 times from them and couldn't be happier. shipment doesn't take very long, about 6-10 days.

regards, holger

[/FONT]

Last edited:

vitekboi

Newly Enlightened
thanks for the helpful responses guys. i'm leaning towards the D10 now because the momentary on switch and also because it remembers the last setting used before powering off. On the Fenix, I would have to cycle through low, med, high each time I turn on the flashlight correct?

cal..45

Enlightened
thanks for the helpful responses guys. i'm leaning towards the D10 now because the momentary on switch and also because it remembers the last setting used before powering off. On the Fenix, I would have to cycle through low, med, high each time I turn on the flashlight correct?

yes, that is correct

regards, holger