Inova replaced my X1's with 2AA Bolts. Currents differ greatly...

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just could not stand any longer how my two Inova X1's were basically stobe lights unless you practically used pliers to tighten the twisty cap down. I only paid $5 on clearance at Target, but I decided to mail them back to Inova. I told them I'd take any other 1 or 2 AA light as long as it wasn't a stobe light. They sent me back two 2AA Bolt lights. Nice. The two tints are very different. Am I correct to assume these are K2 LED's?

What bothers me a little is that the currents they draw at the tailcap is hugely different by a factor of two. Using freshly charged Ni-MH cells, the purply one with a tighter hot spot but less overall brightness draws 300 mA. The one with the less purply tint, more spill and noticeably more overall brightness draws 600 mA. Maybe I should consider them to have individual character with differing brightness, beam pattern and runtimes, and be glad I don't have two identical lights. But, I am wondering what is the average "normal" current at the tailcap using freshly charged Ni-MH cells? Anybody want to measure their 2AA Bolt report back? I want to know which one of mine is normal and which is the runt or which is on steroids!

merlocka

Enlightened
Interesting, I have a Target X1 that does the exact same thing. I'll have to call them.

spectrak

Newly Enlightened
mine is showing 550 with nimh and 560 with alk's but the beam is purple worst color of any of my led lights

Turbo DV8

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are (were) the K2's subject to the Luxeon lottery also, because I have seen these AA bolts emit light in virtually all colors of the rainbow! That's exaggerating a bit, but the differences in tint I have seen between five or six specimens is pretty gross. Purple, blue, yellow and rancid-pee-green. I kept the bluish one cuz it wasn't terribly blue, and the yellowish one is going to be a favorite, especially outdoors, because it makes outdoorsy colors come out more. But I have an ElektroLumens K2 Stunner with eight K2's, and their tints are all identical as far as my eye can discern (slightly purple).