Some help putting together my own lights

Underwhere

Newly Enlightened
First of all I am a complete newbie. I tried the search function and it doesn't seem to be working.

I am thinking I'll put together some lights this year for xmas gifts. Maybe 10 lights total. All the same.

I don't know what parts I need, terminology, what works with what etc etc. Basically I don't know anything except for what I want the end result to be.

If you guys could offer some sort of help or guidance it'd be appreciated.

The end product:
Powered by a single CR123A
glow in the dark rubber cap
glow in the dark o-ring in the front
maybe a cree Q5 or R2. I'm not sure which is better. Open to suggestions.
I'd like a 5 modes: High, med, low, strobe, SOS. I'm not sure what device does this though.
I'd like a clip of some sort, or a non-round body so it doesn't roll.

My brother bought a new Fenix PD20 and I like it. I'd just like the experience of making my own and customizing it a bit.

Advice?

JBorneu

Enlightened
Putting together lights takes more knowledge than it may seem. You need:
-An LED (duuh)
-A body
-A reflector or an optic to make a nice beam
-Some cirquitry to make mode-switching and regulation possible
-A cell
-And, if you run your LED's at more than 1watt they need to be heatsinked (thermally connected to the metal boy of the light to cool them down, like the CPU of a PC) or they will burn out.

I'm not an experienced or very good modder, but I like to fiddle with things, including flashlights. My advice to you would be to learn as much as possible about the type of light you intend to make first. Candlepowerforums is the ideal place to do that, there are a lot of FAQ an terminology threads here, look them up, read them all, re-read them and read up on the use and safety of CR123 cells. You can get cheap lights and DIY-parts at www.dealextreme.com but shipping takes a long time and their customer service is not very good. But they have very cheap parts, perfect to experiment with so you won't be out $100 of premium parts if your project fails.

Underwhere

Newly Enlightened
Putting together lights takes more knowledge than it may seem. You need:
-An LED (duuh)
-A body
-A reflector or an optic to make a nice beam
-Some cirquitry to make mode-switching and regulation possible
-A cell
-And, if you run your LED's at more than 1watt they need to be heatsinked (thermally connected to the metal boy of the light to cool them down, like the CPU of a PC) or they will burn out.

I'm not an experienced or very good modder, but I like to fiddle with things, including flashlights. My advice to you would be to learn as much as possible about the type of light you intend to make first. Candlepowerforums is the ideal place to do that, there are a lot of FAQ an terminology threads here, look them up, read them all, re-read them and read up on the use and safety of CR123 cells. You can get cheap lights and DIY-parts at www.dealextreme.com but shipping takes a long time and their customer service is not very good. But they have very cheap parts, perfect to experiment with so you won't be out $100 of premium parts if your project fails.

Ok. Thanks for the advice.
I was thinking maybe I'd start with an already finished light and mod it.

This is a single CR123 that I'd like to get a brighter LED in with some different modes.
sku_10454_1.jpg

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10454

So if I get this, how do I know what circuitry I need to get for a q5 or R2 LED?

And how do people know what size rubber tail caps will fit these?

Crenshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
by far the most forgiving driver ive used

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.4382

and it comes in a pack of 5, so if you burn one or mess it up with solder, or hot glue, or anything, just grab another one.

and you CAN use li-ons with these, although speculation was that it was going into direct drive..:shrug:

ive had good results with this driver

Crenshaw