looking for a light....

yomamma

Newly Enlightened
hey im kinda new to all these difrent flashlights and im interested in getting a newer one and i was wondering if you could help me decide on what kind to get i was thinking of getting a Xenon or LED one but i was wondering if you could help me with the other types (IE halogen, Krypton, Ect.) could you please list all difrent types of light/bulbs that are avalable, there candle power, and advantages/disadvantages to each other? thanks alot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pedalinbob

Flashlight Enthusiast
go to thelightsite.cruxial.com and look up the infor on flashlight buying. decide what you are need in a light...then look through Quickbeam's review--also on that site.

narrow your search a bit, and we can give you a hand.

Bob

yomamma

Newly Enlightened
yeah i found the newbie guide so to speak :p im kinda looking for a LED light thats bright as a Xenon one but i doubt ill find it lol actualy i did find a LED/halogen light combo it seems nice but its like 40 bucks kinda rich for my blood :/

yomamma

Newly Enlightened
hey do you know where i can buy Xenon bulbs for a flashlight? i cant seem to find any but i CAN find the flashlights lol

shrap

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
yomamma said:
yeah i found the newbie guide so to speak :p im kinda looking for a LED light thats bright as a Xenon one but i doubt ill find it lol actualy i did find a LED/halogen light combo it seems nice but its like 40 bucks kinda rich for my blood :/

[/ QUOTE ]

Perhaps you should read a bit more about flashlights before asking...

Incandescents (Halogen/xenon/whatever) come in a large variety of brightnesses. There is the Maglite Solitare, a pathetic 1-AAA light, and 1 million candlepower spotlights, both of which may use the same technology.

LEDs are divided up into the "normal" small ones and Luxeon stars.

You need to narrow your question down, since "LED light" and "Xenon light" don't have that that much meaning here. State an actual flashlight, or desired brightness.

And 40 bucks doesn't get you very far here.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
yomamma said:

[/ QUOTE ]

The only LEDs that can currently challenge Xenons on brightness are Luxeon Stars. So your best bet is to search for LS-based lights: BB/MM, Reactor 3, Arc-LS, KL1, Inretech, modified flashlights by CPF modders here, etc...

I'm saddened to say, that $40 here is considered a "bargain" for a good flashlight.
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

But if you're willing to wait up a bit, I'd say take a look at the TwinTask lights from Streamlight...

Drjones

Enlightened
Hello sir.

As with anything, it depends on your needs.

What do you want/plan on using this light for?

For an all-around, general-purpose light that is plenty bright, I'd most definitely go with the Inova X5.

It is an LED light (actually it has 5 LEDs), is more than bright enough for the average user, and has, IMO, very good battery life; about 20 hours or so per set.

I have one of the "original" X5s, and just ordered a new X5 "Tactical" for my father.

New Tactical: http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/inova_x5_led_light.htm

Sorry, couldn't find a pic of the old one.

Anyhow, the Tac is better because it has a push-button on the tail, where the original model had a twist-head to turn on, which doesn't work well if you have only one hand free or need the light in a hurry.

Another brand of lights you should look at are Surefires.

http://www.san.surefire.com/surefire/content/comparechart1.html

http://www.tadgear.com/x-treme%20gear/flashlights%20main/surefire.htm

They are excellent lights, and I am going to purchase one soon to use as a precursor to deadly force, as they are (temporarily) blindingly bright and quite stunning if you get flashed in the eyes with one in low-light. (Dusk/dark)

The downside to Surefires is that they have extremely low run-times; usually no more than an hour and a half with the standard bulb, and only 20 minutes with a high-output bulb!

Again, I'm only going to carry my SF as a defensive tool, so the run time isn't that important to me.

Hope this helps!

Drjones

Catman10

Enlightened
I would also recommend the inova for you at this point. It is a good quality all around type of light and you can get one for a reasonable price. If you find you want to get another one later, you can move into a more expensive surefire type once your more sure of your needs.

yomamma

Newly Enlightened
well my needs are kinda simple i do want an all around light but i also want a light for camp when im a counsler where i need light that will reach out abit (maby around 30+ feet im not a good estemator in rage) for when i have to go out and patrole and i kinda dont wanna say this but alot of those lights are $200+ you could buy an inexpencive night vision monocular for around $150 kinda puts this in prespective :/ but if i could find a good quality Xenon bulb for my 3 d cell mag light ill be happy with that for the time being i can only find bulbs for AA lights :/ thanks for your help guys

Size15's

Flashaholic
If it's a bulb you are looking for then we have a section here at CPF for you to ask about your options!

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

yomamma

Newly Enlightened
nah i would also like an LED light also :p also while were on subject whats the difrence between lumans and candlepower? do they have some kinda conversion table?

Size15's

Flashaholic
Actually... You've got a very good point! I thought we put bulbs in with batteries in the electronics section... Oh well... .... ...

Right! So if you want to find out your bulb options for the Mag 3D then I suggest you start a new thread here in this general flashlight section.

Al /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif