• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired EX10 resistors for modding

kevinm

Enlightened
*Update*:
I got some 0.091 ohm and some .1 ohm resistors that can be used to replace the .15 ohm, making the EX10 40-60% brighter! The mod took 5 minutes, but you need a pretty good iron. Anyway, if you want to do the mod, I'll send you a resistor.

I'm lookin' for a couple of 0.1 Ohm 0805 resistors for modding my EX10. Anyone have a couple to spare?

Thanks,
Kevin

Last edited:

kevinm

Enlightened
Re: WTB 0.1 Ohm 0805 Resistor

Thank, you sir! But the solder pads are tiny. I think I need a direct replacement.

PonchoTA

Newly Enlightened

Call up Mouser or Allied (or other such elex supply company) and ask them for a couple of samples. They'll usually send them out same day.

hth
Paul

kevinm

Enlightened

Found them! Also, I have some left over. Modding took about 5 min and now the LED is running at 950-1000mA! I have 9 left and 10 of the .1ohm ones, if anyone wants to try it themselves.

rocled

Newly Enlightened
Is it something that anyone could mod, with little knowledge?

krazy89

Enlightened
hey kevinm....

i wouldn't mind making that mod... sounds easy enough...

u have any pictures of which resistor it is? a guide maybe?

oh... and can u send me a resistor???

Thanks,
KraZy

kevinm

Enlightened
Yep, it's pretty easy as long as you are okay with looking at tiny things (it's a 0805 package; 1/10 the volume of a grain of rice) and have a soldering iron with a fine tip.

This thread has the info I used and a couple of pictures:

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/202901&page=2

It's R6 on the circuit (the resistor marked R150 or R15) and is close to the edge. Krazy89 and rocled, send me pm's with resistor preference and address and I'll send you 1 or 2.

Oh, yeah, don't do this over carpet!:ohgeez:

rocled

Newly Enlightened
Oh yeah, what would this do for the temp and overall runtime on high?

kevinm

Enlightened
Bad things:devil: It's going to get warm pretty fast. I'm running 750mAh batteries, so I'm guessing the runtime will be 30-45 minutes. I plan on checking the runtime later tonight, but have to go to class now.

wbp

Enlightened
I'd be interested in a 0.1 ohm. Do you have Mouser part numbers?
Thanks!
William

kevinm

Enlightened
Yes, the low is slightly higher now (can't tell exactly how much). The light gets hot after 10 minutes. On high, it ran for 20 minutes on a Powerizer LiFePo, so about half as long as before. Makes sense; it's drawing about twice the current.

I still have a few resistors. If you want one, PM me your address and I'll send one your way.

Kevin

rocled

Newly Enlightened
Hows the light holding up? Anymore testing done? Thanks for some more info.

kevinm

Enlightened
The light's holding up well; no problems at all. I need to find some 3.7V RCR123's and test that too...

I forgot to mention that the RCR123's I was using before were 450mAh, so the 20 minute runtime is very reasonable.

More to come!

Kevin