Corn Maze After Dark!

mwaldron

Enlightened
So corn maze eh? I've been hearing about them for a couple years but never really got around to checking into the concept. It sounded like good cheap fun though so last night my gf and I decided to go check it out.

For those of you who have never heard of it before (somehow I suspect it's localized to the midwest) it's a cornfield planted like an old Victorian hedge maze. The corn grows to be about 8' tall and fairly thick (It's also fairly sharp. I think the guys over on Bladeforums need to look into corn leaves as an organic substitute for S30V). The maze we went to last night covered approximately 15 acres. From what I understand, each maze has an objective, when we gave over our $5 we were given a piece of paper with about 25 symbols around the perimeter. Each symbol had a corresponding hole puncher located somewhere in the maze, and the objective was to find each punch and punch the corresponding hole on your slip.

I called the people who ran it earlier in the day and explained I had never been to a corn maze before. They advised me to prepare for the weather, wear old comfortable shows and an old jacket. They also suggested a flashlight if I was going to come at night :twothumbs. During our conversation they also mentioned that the fastest this year's had been completed was just over 1 hour.

I spent all day thinking about what I might need to take with me. Need (ok, ok, WANT) Flashlight, GPS (yes, it's probably cheating but I'm a geek...), HT, Boots, Jacket. I wanted to take my M6, but requiring over 1 hour of runtime made that prohibitive. Since the M6 is just totally impractical, I charged up my 17670's popped in the MN61 and took it anyway (less current draw than WA1185). I've been using an MN61 since before I knew it was supposed to insta-flash thus in typical 80's cartoon fashion mine works just fine even though I can't even get a WA1331 to work :thinking:.

I still needed a reliable (with stamina) light and I don't own many models to choose from. I absolutely love A2's so since that's mostly what I own the main choice came down to which one. I grabbed my trusty EDC A2/Strion/GS and a 4-pack of spare cells just in case and felt prepared for anything.

So we finish up in the barn with the owner and we're following the "path" to the maze entrance. They've used solar white LED lights to mark the path. They provide no usable light but they do give you a path to follow. I unholstered my A2 and pushed in the tail and...nothing. No leds, no main bulb. Nothing. :eek: I use this daily! It always works! Always! Ok, even though I have a tailcap ring on it perhaps the batteries got drained since yesterday. I pop 2 more out of my holder while we're walking and slide them in. Still nothing:rant:. My gf is laughing as she pulls "her" A2 out of her purse to assist. So we get to the entrance and start the maze, I'm still trying to figure out what could be wrong with my A2 while my gf handles illumination duties. It is DARK in the middle of a cornfield in the middle of nowhere Iowa :candle:. Right around the time we find the first punch my "vigorous" twisting of my A2 has paid off and it decided to start working again. There must be something wrong with the tailcap, this is the first one I've had a problem with (but by serial number it's by far the oldest A2 I have, A10123, so maybe there is an issue there. I'm going to call SF today even though it seems to be working fine now :help:.

The LED low beam was great for walking around the field although my gf is still complaining that hers is blue and she likes mine better. The punches we have to find are attached to rusted metal fence posts via now-faded orange twine. Using the incandescent to throw down paths to spot things is great, using the M6 is better. The M6 still makes me giggle every time I push the button. When we arrived we were the only people in the maze, but after a while I saw some flashlights being shone at us from the other section of the field (there is an area where you need to cross a road to get to section 2). I could only see the light from the other group but since they were aiming at us I returned the favor with the M6. They were too far away to hear but I wonder what they thought of it. :devil:

We had been there for about 2 hours and my gf was getting cold (it was 30F) so at 9:30 we decided to head back to the car. That is where the GPS was great. Virtual bread crumbs had marked out the maze and determining a clear path out was pretty straightforward. As we were on the final path out we met up with the last group of 4 the night coming in. They asked me if it was easy to find the punches, I told them it was a lot of fun just to aim the flashlight around and look for the orange twine that held the punches. The woman looked at me strangely, pulled out her cellphone, and told me that they each had a cellphone but that was all the light they had. I suggested that they probably come back another night because there wasn't much of a chance if that was the best they had. After declining to give them one of our lights (they probably thought we were real !@$E%##@ at that point) we headed out of the maze stifling laughs until we had made it down the path away from them.

We had a great time, my gf wants to go back this weekend to finish our punches. I insisted that we go after dark. It will be warmer.

Anyway, if you have one of these in your area grab some friends and go, it was a blast! Exercise, Illumination, Quests, what a great way to spend an evening! :twothumbs

I really need to find an M6/A2 hybrid though...

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very Cool!

We have them in the Sacramento area. I got to check one out! I think I will take my L2 for primary illumination duties and strap on the trusty old M6 for flashlight wars.

kelmo

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
"I use this daily! It always works! Always!"

For you youngin's out there thats why always have ATLEAST 2 lights on you besides from your keychain light.... atleast.... or in this case use your girlfriends edc...

Very nice story... here in NYC there is no cornmaze.... only mazes here are the streets with construction being done(so thats everystreet):mad:
I think I might want to drive to New Jersey this week end and do some corn mazing with the family.

Last edited:

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
"I use this daily! It always works! Always!"

For you youngin's out there thats why always have ATLEAST 2 lights on you besides from your keychain light.... atleast.... or in this case use your girlfriends edc...

Very nice story... here in NYC there is no cornmaze.... only mazes here are the streets with construction being done(so thats everystreet):mad:
I think I might want to drive to New Jersey this week end and do some corn mazing with the family.

yes there is. in queens. i was there:naughty:.

mwaldron

Enlightened
Called Surefire, they're sending me a new A2 tailcap. :thumbsup:

Gotta love that kind of service, 4I just wish it wasn't needed.

Blindasabat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I did a corn maze last fall in Michigan. Great fun as long as I kept the gf from getting frustrated.
I took a direct drive Milky L1 gen1 SSC bezel on an E1e body and two stage McE2S switch. I had a 150L BOG in a G2 and another small light with me, but I only needed the L1/E1 which I call Minime. It is about 135 lumens OTF DD on an RCR123. It will run almost an hour on high and 15+ hours on low with an extremely usable 15ish lumens on RCR123. It has an optic in it from the original L1 and it is a fantastic beam.
When we got to the posts we were supposed to find, each had a map of the maze on it and somebody would be there trying to read it with a half dead minimag. I would totally drown out their light with Minime on LOW. It's beam was great for this with a nice spot and gentle fall off in spill to a soft edge. It illuminated the entire map so six people could step back and read it at once.
Luckily they sold cheap 2AA incans there, so nobody asked to use my light. My answer would have to have been "this is a loaner, so I can't give it to you" to avoid the "this cost me well over $200 to build, so NO" response.

WDG

Enlightened
(It's also fairly sharp. I think the guys over on Bladeforums need to look into corn leaves as an organic substitute for S30V)

Ayup! When I was around 6 or 7, I cut my hand but good reaching out to grab a corn leaf from a trailer behind grandad's tractor. Never did THAT again! :eek:

prof

Enlightened
My in-laws run a pumpkin patch with corn mazes and haunted attractions in AR. We visit several times during the season. A couple of weekends ago we met some friends from Little Rock. The girls (5 and 6) wanted to go through the kids forest at night. We all went--with my L1 as the primary light. The kids were a little spooked, but only in a fun way. The L1 absolutely owned the forest and corn maze--most others had rented 2D lights (available to rent with a good refund when returned--too many of these walk away). Amazing to compare the lights. I could have used more spill, however.

They also have a haunted barn and a haunted forest. They used to haunt the corn maze, but no longer do. I stay out of the haunted features--I know the people who do the haunting!

If anyone wants more info, drop me a PM. It is indeed a fun thing to do.

-prof

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow is there really.....

I dont think you can compare though....

yes, Queens county farm.

it's only a 2-3acre one but still fun. they use mailboxes which have pieces of the whole map and a word puzzle to figure out.
it's done for the year, they offer night time 2 times during their schedule.

IcantC

Enlightened
Cool story and shows why you should always have a backup. Never know when a fully functioning thing decides to stop working.

Also holyshit, imagine a M6/A2 Hybrid!? A M6, but with LEDs like the A2?

mwaldron

Enlightened
Also holyshit, imagine a M6/A2 Hybrid!? A M6, but with LEDs like the A2?

Yeah, something like the Beast, except humanly affordable (M6 priced is affordable? this hobby has twisted me). 5 T1 LEDs around an MN-style regulated bulb in a M6 package...

Alan_P

Newly Enlightened
We have several mazes in the Washington DC area. They are a lot of fun and much better in the dark. I used a Raw NS on low for one and my D10 on minimum for the other. Plenty of light for the maze. There are lots of people going through the maze without any light. An excessively bright light would be unnecessary and inconsiderate.

Alan

Ayeaux

Newly Enlightened
I've taken the family to corn mazes for three years now. The first time was with a stroller (not fun). This year I brought a rayovac sportsman 1aa headlamp, and a fenix L1Trb80 with a LiFePo4 14500. The headlamp was great for map reading, and the L1T was perfect for using momentarily to look down the long stretches, helping to orient ourselves, and flashing to point the way to go for the kids to go. The kids had an assortment of 5mm leds lights which kept them happy and were thankfully dim as they constantly were shining them in our faces (accidently of course). My wife had her Brookstone 1aaa keychain light, which was plenty for her to navigate with.

These mazes really are lots of fun for the family. Unfortunately we've had a pretty good drought in East TN these last two years and the corn is only 6-7 feet tall. Too easy to see through and get your bearings.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I went to a local corn maze last weekend and had a great time. Inside the maze are 6 mailboxes which contain pieces to a puzzle that you are trying to put together. The mailboxes are hidden and some of them are VERY hard to find! They have flashlight nights on Friday and Saturday and that's obviously when I go. I've gone for the last three years and it usually takes around 2 hours or so.
Here's a pic of what the maze looks like:

http://www.tuckertaters.com/images/corn-maze-2008.jpg

I only saw a couple incans. One guy had a large Mag, another had a 1million CP spotlight, and some guy had one of those lights that comes with a power drill. :crackup: Other than that nearly everyone was using some form of LED. I saw mostly cheap 5mm LED lights, and also quite a few dynamo lights.
There is a large rock that you can climb to look for mailboxes or just look around. I climbed it and shined my D20 around and heard some guy say "holy sh*t, look at how bright that flashlight is". Pretty much made my night. :laughing: