Looking for suggestions for updating my emergency bag lights

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Hi all,

With the change from Daylight Savings Time back to Standard Time I checked my emergency bag lights to make sure everything still worked and I got to thinking that maybe it was time to update the lights I have in there. I currently have the following:

* Pelican M6 incan + spare lamp assembly (if I need a lot of light / throw)
* UK 4eLED (general use)
* Inova 24/7 w/ accessory kit (can be a headlamp, has a magnetic mount, etc.)
* Gerber Infinity Ultra (long running low light)
* Spare batteries (6xCR123, 8xAA Energizer Lithiums)

It's a decent set of lights but I am looking for ways to make the bag lighter and less bulky. Some of the thoughts I had are:

* Substitute the Peli M6 and UK 4eLED with a Surefire A2.
* Ditch the Inova 24/7 and replace with a Photon Freedom + accessory kit.

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Constructive criticism?

Thanks!

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
My two bits:

Emergency "oh hell" light - SF G3 with a Malkoff M60 drop-in.
General Purpose: x3 AA MagLED. Reasonable pricing, good performance and run time as well as cheaper batteries.
Personal/gear lights: Arc AAA or Gerber Tempo(s).

If you want to streamline, keep to no more than 2 battery types - cr123s and AAs. I don't care for the Gerber Infinity particularly, but the new "Firecracker" has been getting some good reviews.

If you don't mind spending a little more, you might want to check out some of Peak's offerings in x1 AA.

A SF spare carrier for the CR123s and a battery caddy in a ziploc baggie for the AAs.

I'm debating a second SF with a Malkoff M60LF - more than enough for emergency purposes and keeping the M60 for crisis-specific use.

I bought a NiteIze grip thingie for the MagLED and it works well for easy gripping, attach points and overall handling.

I can't speak to the Inova 24/7 or the Photon Freedom as I've never found myself in a situation where I'd find either particularly useful.

If you want an almost indestructible marker, Glo-Toobs work well, although it can be a bit of a pain to select a specific marker pattern.

-Trevor

meuge

Enlightened
Hi all,

With the change from Daylight Savings Time back to Standard Time I checked my emergency bag lights to make sure everything still worked and I got to thinking that maybe it was time to update the lights I have in there. I currently have the following:

* UK 4eLED (general use)

It's a decent set of lights but I am looking for ways to make the bag lighter and less bulky. Some of the thoughts I had are:

Thoughts? Comments? Ideas? Constructive criticism?

Thanks!
Keep the M6. I'd add a Fenix L2D-CE as a multipurpose light.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Thanks to everyone who has provided input so far. Will keep all of your suggestions in mind.

I can't speak to the Inova 24/7 or the Photon Freedom as I've never found myself in a situation where I'd find either particularly useful.

I once had to change my tire after dark in a poorly lit parking lot and I found the magnetic mount on the 24/7 to be very useful. I could mount it above the tire well and have light right where I needed it to be while still keeping both of my hands free.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1, I've always felt the Inova 24/7 was more ideally suited for an in-the-car emergency light, especially with the magnetic mount.

As for my emergency setup:
-Pentagon MOLLE Light (clipped on my Camelbak vest for all-around utility)
-Princeton Apex PRO (self-explanatory)
-SF M3 (always a good idea to have an incan thrower for piercing through rain and fog)
-EX10 (technically not in the bag, but on keyring always as backup to my normal EDC)

The only possible addition I've been thinking of is perhaps a small Coleman LED lantern, or a Glo-Toob Lithium.

All but one of my lights take CR123's so I've got approximately 50 or so spare cells in Pelican 1020 cases, plus 12 AA Ultra's in a CountyComm battery caddy for the Pentagon and various other unforseeables.

kelmo

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got a pretty solid line up there. The A2 would be a good addition (substitution).

My advise would be to rotate out the batteries that have been in storage over the past year(s). Put your newest cells in your kit.

Are your batteries stored in water proof containers?

Get belt holsters and/or a torso pack(s) for easier mobility.

Everything should have lanyards.

You need a real headlamp. One that is waterproof.

Get some candles.

Last edited:

deranged_coder

Enlightened
You got a pretty solid line up there. The A2 would be a good addition (substitution).

My advise would be to rotate out the batteries that have been in storage over the past year(s). Put your newest cells in your kit.

Are your batteries stored in water proof containers?

Get belt holsters and/or a torso pack(s) for easier mobility.

Everything should have lanyards.

You need a real headlamp. One that is waterproof.

Get some candles.

Thanks for the advice. I've been thinking about swapping the Pelican M6 and UK 4eLED for the Surefire A2 since the A2 throws pretty well and the incan can go through rain and fog (not sure how it compares to the M6, though) and the LEDs are useful for close to mid-range work. It would reduce the number of lights while still keeping versatility.

The spare CR123s are stored in a SF Spares Carrier. The spare AAs are in a battery caddy inside a zip lock bag so they are reasonably weather proof (though not 100% waterproof).

Yup, I've got lanyards for everything.

The 24/7 is considered weather proof, I believe, though maybe not 100% waterproof. I could take out the 24/7 and keep it as a dedicated car emergency light and substitute a dedicated headlamp. I don't want to add a dedicated headlamp since I am actually trying to cut down on the bulk and weight. I did read up a bit and the Petzl e+LITE might work as a nice, compact headlamp (and I believe it is waterproof up to 1m) to substitute the 24/7.

Good point on the candles. I picked up a kit at REI that had a candle lantern, 4 candles and a small fleece carry bag a little while ago to keep in the kitchen for home emergency lighting. I can keep it in the emergency bag instead.

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
for a very long lasting, common battery type, non-weatherproof light for indoor use, i highly recommend the Pak-Lite Super (9V)

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
What size is your ready bag right now? How much other "stuff" do you have crammed in?

-Trevor

zx7dave

Enlightened
So in each vehicle as far as lights go I have two options for you that I think will work well...I believe it is useful to have a small and large light. The small light you keep in your glovebox or similiar, and the large under your seat or wherever you can fit it. I am giving you LED options on CR123 primaries as they have good shelf life and LED's because there is nothing to burn out.
For the small light I recommend a SureFire L4. For the large light a 9P w/A19 extender and a R2 LED dropin from Lighthound. (That is the budget version). The higher end version would be a M6 with a custom Milky MC-E LED Tower Module.
With either of these you will get bright light and great runtime without overheating. Make sure you carry plenty of Primaries CR123's as they have a 10yr shelf life. Good Luck....

okbohn

Newly Enlightened
I think the main thing wouldbe extra batteries and having at least one that used a standard AA in case you have trouble finding anything else.

zx7dave

Enlightened
I can see the usefulness of having a AA light, and have several Fenix AA models...but for consistancy I chose two lights that ran off CR123's so you are only storing one type of battery. The intent here is that you keep one of the Surefire 20 battery blister packs in each car as a minimum..that should keep you running with the light setup I mentioned above for 6-10 hours depending on how often the light was on and if you ran both.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
What size is your ready bag right now? How much other "stuff" do you have crammed in?

-Trevor

I'm using a medium sized backpack as a ready bag (any larger and I would have to pull it out of the car to make space for the baby stroller and I don't want to do that). Stuff I currently have it the bag includes:
  • First aid kit
  • Cold Steel SRK + sharpener, SAK
  • Orange paracord
  • Matches, lighter
  • Duct tape
  • Large garbage bags
  • Blanket
  • Water bottle, energy bars/gels, trail mix, hard candy
  • Spare set of clothes for me, spouse and baby
  • Toiletries (soap, toothbrush, wipes, sanitizer, toilet paper)
I want to keep it as light as possible so I am currently leaning towards the following for the ready bag lights:
  • Surefire A2 + SC3 (4 spare CR123 + 1 spare MA02)
  • JetBeam Jet-I Mk IIx + 4 spare AA lithiums
  • Petzl e+LITE
I do have other lights in the car and normally EDC at least two lights on my person but I want this bag to be completely self-contained so that if say, in an emergency we had to leave our vehicle and I didn't have my usual EDC lights we would still be covered.

firefly99

Enlightened
I currently have the following:

* UK 4eLED (general use)

You had a very good setup. To fine tune your setup, my suggestions are
a) keep the Pelican M6 incan + Inova 24/7
b) Surefire A2 + SC3 (4 spare CR123 + 1 spare MA02) + Inova 24/7

Reasons
a) the CR123 battery can be used by Pelican M6, Inova 24/7, SF A2. no need to maintain multiple battery types
b) Inova 24/7 is very versatile, can be a headlamp or magnet mount. As a multi mode light, it can replace the rest of LED lights

Last edited:

scottaw

Enlightened
I really love the G2L/6PL for emergency use, lots of light for a long time, in a very familiar package. Anyone can figure out how the light works, useful if you're not around/incapicated. I also keep a zebralight in the car, good for changing a flat, looking under the hood, and the H30 takes up no space and weighs basically nothing.

You had a very good setup. To fine tune your setup, my suggestions are
a) keep the Pelican M6 incan + Inova 24/7
b) Surefire A2 + SC3 (4 spare CR123 + 1 spare MA02) + Inova 24/7

Reasons
a) the CR123 battery can be used by Pelican M6, Inova 24/7, SF A2. no need to maintain multiple battery types
b) Inova 24/7 is very versatile, can be a headlamp or magnet mount. As a multi mode light, it can replace the rest of LED lights

angelofwar

Flashlight Enthusiast
+1 on the Inova 24/7, and the Glo-Toob! The Glo-toob is a solid "Marker Light", and you can still use your 24/7 as a head lamp. I have a Pricnetoin Tec Pilot attached to my Invoa 24/7 head band as well for back-up. Might I suggest an L1 w/ an F04 Diffuser. That way you have the option of extended runtime, and throw when/flood when needed? Plus, it can still provide light from the "dead cells" from your incan's, if needed!:candle:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
a.jpg

Here is mine, StreamLIght TwinTask, AAP modded with P4, then 2AA/CR2 lite. Batteries include all chemistries of AA, plus C and D and CR2.

bigfoot

Enlightened
+1 on the Petzl e+LITE. It is very lightweight, comes in a small case, is weather resistant, and uses lithium button cell batteries for a long shelf life.

If it was me... I would whittle down the lights in the kit to just two. Since this is a vehicle kit, I would make one of them a headlamp (or a lightweight light that can be clipped to a hat brim). The other would be an good incandescent or LED with throw (Surefire, etc.).

Then I would try to stick to lights that could use lithium cells so nothing would leak in the lights (or kit) and cause damage while in storage.

Also, I would pick up a couple of the Adventure Medical Kits "Heatsheet" emergency blankets. They have 1- and 2-person models and they cost from $4-6 each. This would enable you to have something a little better than garbage bags or a poncho for emergency shelter. They are lightweight and don't take up much space.

More preparedness info: http://www.equipped.org

TMedina

Flashlight Enthusiast
A couple of other tidbits for consideration:

1. Finances permitting, you might want to think about leaving some cash in the bag, ideally in small denominations - it wasn't something I'd ever thought about until I helped a friend move and I drove through the aftermath of Katrina. Nobody could (or would) take plastic, but cash is universal.

2. A chem light or two. Cheap and a great last-ditch light.

3. Ziplock baggies.

4. Bandannas - can be used as head wraps to keep warm, wrapped around the nose/mouth in smoky or dirty environments and invaluable for emergency bandages.

5. A solid pair of work gloves.

6. Multi-tool - Gerber or Leatherman, for example.

If size is still a pressing concern, you can find pairs of "compression straps" at Sprawlmart and elsewhere as a means of, well, compressing the pack.

-Trevor