Kroma Upgradeability Options??

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Attn Mods, if this is in the wrong forum, I apologize and feel free to move wherever.

A quick search yielded Milky's post here, but that's been some time ago. Are there any newer developments for replacing/upgrading the center emitter to north of 200 lumens? I'd imagine the main drawback would be the optical lens being suited to the right emitter.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped in a Seoul and an McR20 reflector. It was a pain in the *** to mod, but worth it when done. Also swapped the blue 3mm LEDs for UV's. HUGE improvement over stock. Very nice low and a very bright high! The beam profile is Way better than the TIR optic.

I don't use it that much and may end up selling it.

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
What did you have to do to swap in the seoul? Do you think it would make a difference if I only swapped in a Seoul? I assume you are refering to a Seoul P4? Did you use jsut the bare emitter or a star?

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ditto on this,

Would be very cool to see a pictorial of a mod like this both for the Kroma and Turbo Kroma.

Ive been dreaming of a upgraded Kroma since they came out.
The PKEF screams P7 upgrade :D

Benny

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
I swapped in a Seoul and an McR20 reflector. It was a pain in the *** to mod, but worth it when done.
Tim, in the Milky post I referenced above, Scott mentions that doing an emitter swap means that you'll likely lose the click-click feedback from the selector ring. He said that the light will function the same due to the switching mechanism being magnetic, but that the ring will travel in a full circle with no 'stops'. Did you encounter this problem when upgrading your emitter? Also, do you have a link to pics of your modded Kroma?:naughty:

Benny, I agree that a P7-Kroma Turbo would be neat, but I'm wondering what kind of current the stock driver is pushing the main emitter at? It would be a shame to underdrive a P7 :sigh:

Last edited:

MorpheusT1

Flashlight Enthusiast
The PKEF has a Lux V and it has been proven to shine a little more than a Lux V at the same current.

Underdriving is not cutting edge but improving a lazy light to be a little brighter with every means possible aint ;)

I doubt the converter can be swapped and still retain all the other cool functions of the PKEF.

The regular Kroma would benefit a lot from a Seoul P4 swap. or even a Cree XR-E.

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a bare emitter (no star) for the mod.
Yes the P4 will work fine with the TIR, but I much prefered the better beam of the McR20.

I was able to retain the factory "clicks"...the plastic detent part broke off mine while disassembling it. I placed it back in the ring when reassembling it and it still worked and still come to the proper "stops" and does not spin all the way around....guess I got lucky.

There is barely enought room to swap in a stander Seoul P4, let alone a P7...it would be really cool though. I wonder how the stock optic of the PK Turbo would do with a seoul?

As stated previously, an emitter swap alone is a HUGE improvement. I ALMOST sold my Kroma...until I did the mod. Now it is updated and a much more useful light.

Hope the link helps.
Heres a link for getting the Kroma open.

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2427667#post2427667

Solscud007

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ok im retarded. I followed the steps to remove the ring and boy does that trick work like a charm. but now I even boiled the head to remove the glass bezel. but I cant seem to crack the head open to get to the good stuff. this is one tough nut to crack. any tips?

rscanady

Enlightened
I did this to my Kroma Milspec. Changed out just about all the LED's.

Refer to 2059186 thread. Right now the pic links are broken. I will try to work to fix this.

Mine has upgrade SSC prime emitter with Stippled Khatod 20 reflector. I also changed the IR to UV and added another color. Surrounding LEDS color choices are UV, Blue, Sea green, and dim orange (very low light).

Its a heck of job working this one but can be done. The "click" on my selector ring also doesnt really work, but since they used hall sensors the selection part works fine, just that the ring rotates all the way around now.

Honestly I was happy with it (its bright) but I dont ever use it. I have a better cheaper UV light I use when I need UV.

I have the pics on my computer at home and could easily email them to someone who wants them.

Ryan