Poor mans KL1

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i need ideas for a poor mans KL1. would be nice if i could get that KL1 purple beam without the price.

comments/suggestions welcome.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
i should clarify, alternative to E1/KL1

Size15's

Flashaholic
Are there not drop in Luxeons Mods for various flashlights like 2AA Mags etc?

How does an ArcLS cost compared to E1+KL1?
Aren't Streamlight importing a 1W Luxeon light soon?
Then there's the Zwei Bruder 1W Luxeon model...

I'm sure there are other 1W Luxeon models then SureFire and Arc.

Al

paulr

Flashaholic
I don't even think E1/KL1 is that great a combination unless you're going to also swap the parts around with other Surefire stuff. If you just want a one-function 123-powered compact Luxeon light you're better off with an Arc LS. Countycomm had those on sale for $70 last week, though they're sold out now. As Luxeons get more consistent and less scarce I'm sure we'll see lots more such lights.

A Minimag with a Luxeon mod will run $50-60, an run on economical AA cells, but it's bigger and apparently has some operating quirks.

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
the arc ls is as much or more depending on standard or p model.

sl's willhave a 3AA model, too long.

no clue on the zwei bruder.

looking for something similiar to size of the arc and E1/KL1.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original Arc-LS with the 123A flat tailcap was the champion of small size. It made the E1/KL1 look oversized. Aside from going the LS pill dropins for a solitaire or getting a BB/MM or Inretech dropin, there's no "cheap" way to get an LS onto the size of a CR123 package...

paulr

Flashaholic
As mentioned the Arc LSH-S was $70.00 at Countycomm last week.
Maybe there will be some more at that price later (who knows).

I don't think you can get an E1/KL1 without paying quite a bit more. You shouldn't compare the LSH-P to the KL1 since you can't expect the KL1 to have a better LED than the LSH-S.

Maybe these lights will cost less in a few months or so. Luxeon lights aren't that complicated. The Arc AAA and CMG Ultra are both around $20. A 123-powered Luxeon light is basically the same thing, but with a bigger power converter and more expensive LED. Right now the bottleneck is the LED, they're about $10 (vs. $1 for a Nichia) and their quality is so variable that a lot of them have to be rejected. However, just like any other high tech semiconductor device (think of Pentiums), the yield will improve and prices will come down.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
I really like my BadBoy 500s and MadMaxs. I see where dat2zip offers high bin grades as an upgrade. Many of the beamshots I've seen indicate that the BBs and MMs are brighter than ALSs and KL1s. I don't own those so I can't give you a first hand account. Mine aren't green or violet...just pure white...40 bucks. Stick a Kroll clickie on it and you are good to go. My LGI II has a slight moon-blue tint but it is too long for your purposes.

Icebreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh yeah. If someone makes tvrodr's "Small 123 LS" that will be the small LS light to have IMHO.

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Q3L upgrade to the 400 makes it brighter than the 500...
I'm still trying to figure out a way to house a single 3.7V 18650 Li-Ion and driving the BB400Q3L with it... Would reduce the size to an E2e but with a better runtime...

JohnK

Flashlight Enthusiast
One 123 or a Lithium AA, Naaa. No run time for the light output. I don't see the sense in it...........

You are going to have to have 3 AA Mah capacity to have an acceptable light. The SL one watt is long, yes, but stick it in your belt.

This is not going to be a ARC sized key chain light with a one watt , period, unless someone comes up with a AA or AAA with the Mah of a D or C cell. Won't happen for a long time.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
[ QUOTE ]
tkl said:
the arc ls is as much or more depending on standard or p model.

sl's willhave a 3AA model, too long.

no clue on the zwei bruder.

looking for something similiar to size of the arc and E1/KL1.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about this tkl? only $60 and you might get L or H. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://store.yahoo.com/flashlight/fasear.html

FalconFX

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Novigear overall is roughly the same length as an E2e, and a tad wider... It can direct drive (3.6-4.5V) an LS quite nicely (ala Mini-LGI)... It won't be the size of a CR123, but at least it's driving the LS at spec Vf for roughly a bit over an hour...

tkl

Flashlight Enthusiast
surfarc, that's interesting. i don't like the fact you get low or high dome though.

i think i'm just going to have to buy a KL1.

SUREFARC

Enlightened
the new KL1 is cool and I just recieved mine. Some say the new version is a bit whiter.

Josh

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
Size15s said:
Does anyone offer a replacement for the Lamp Module in the SureFire 3P?

[/ QUOTE ]Good idea Al!!!!