You pick them, I'll buy them.

peak_oil

Newly Enlightened
I want to buy a set of flashlights today. Here's what I'm looking for.

Two general purpose handheld flashlights for indoor and outdoor use. I live in a semi-rural area so they'd have to be good for short distances and have another mode for long throw in the woods.

Two keychain lights. They would live in my pocket, clipped to a keychain.

Four headlamps. Two for general household chores in the dark like taking out the trash or doing the dishes in a blackout, and two for long throw in the woods.

4-8 lights that would be used to mark campsites. Just low level light, nothing spectacular, maybe glowsticks could do the job.

If I need batteries other than AAs or AAAs, then I need good rechargeable batteries and a charger to go with them.

You guys are the experts, I trust your recommendations. I will use the lights stock, I don't want to buy aftermarket parts and solder anything. I'm sure SOMETHING on dealextreme will fit the bill.

You guys pick the setup, I'll buy it tonight, and post pics when the shipment comes in.

savumaki

Enlightened
Now if you just use the search function with each of your requirements you will be amazed with the results :welcome:

DUQ

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here are a few to get started.

Two keychain lights: Fenix E01

Lights that would be used to mark campsites: Glo-Toob or Krill Lights

Two general purpose handheld flashlights: Fenix L2D

bigfoot

Enlightened

Gunner12

Flashaholic
What price for each?

For general purpose, check Fenix, Olight, Nitecore, Eagletac, iTP, and a few others. Most of them also have keychain lights.

As for headlamps, there doesn't see to be that many with current gen LEDs.

Good lights to look at for general(2AA for good runtime):

Fenix L2T V2.0, L2D-CE Q5, LD20, Olight T25, Nitecore D20, Jetbeam Jet I Pro IBS EX, iTP C8, Kingpower K2.

Keychain:

Fenix L0D-CE Q4, LD01, E01, Liteflux LF2X, Lumapower something(I don't recall the name).

Also check the reviews section and review sites.

:welcome:

mudman cj

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where corn and pigs are grown unimpeded by trees
These recommendations assume that you are not as excited about flashlights as many of the members in this wonderful forum, but that you would like some lights that do the job well with good value.

For the woods I have to recommend a Fenix TK20. :twothumbs

Two headlamps for around the house chores: either the Zebralight H50 (AA) or H30 (CR123 or RCR123) depending on your battery preference. The H30 is a bit brighter and more efficient, but the H50 is also excellent and uses the most common battery around.

+1 for Fenix LD01 and E01 on the keychain.

And if you end up choosing AA and/or AAA lights, consider buying a set of Sanyo Eneloop rechargeable low self discharge Nimh batteries to power them when you need them.

These just might show you why we love our lights so much. :welcome:

kris994

Newly Enlightened
Fenix E01 for keychain light.

Jetbeam Military or Fenix TK10 might be worth a look as a multi purpose light.

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Two general purpose handheld flashlights for indoor and outdoor use. Surefire L4 & Surefire 6P

Two keychain lights. Fenix E01 & Nitecore EX10

Four headlamps. PT Apex Pro (2) & Petzl Myo XP (2)

4-8 lights that would be used to mark campsites. Glo-Toob Lithium (8)
If you've got the budget, that's what I'd go for.

JBorneu

Enlightened
General purpose lights: One of the Fenix 2AA torches. Check them out yourself, look at the user-interfaces and consider wether you want a lot of throw (TK20), a birght spill (LD20) or a focusable light (forgot the name, check 4sevens.com, they have them all) Eagletac P10A2 is a candidate too. Maybe a LedLenser P14, it's focusing so you can decide wether you want flood or throw.

Keychain lights: one of the Fenix 1AA lights, the E01 is the cheapest in it's class and as sturdy as the others, Fenix LD01 is brighter but a lot more expensive.

Headlamps: Zebralight H50 for indoor use, don't know about the throwing headlamps, but Petzl and Princeton Tec make quality headlamps and they both have thrower models.

Campsite markers: Maybe dealextreme fauxtons? But I don't know if they are waterproof enough.

Most of the above are high quality and pricey lights. If you prefer a budget Dealextreme model, check out the budget light roundup with the stickies in this forum. I don't know much about those.

Last edited:

Latest posts