Does anyone have both the LED Lenser P7 and the P14?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm wondering if anyone has both of these lights and can do some comparisons between them?
I would normally go with the P14 since it uses AA cells, but it looks to be a little too large for my taste. I'm hoping that someone can take some side by side shots and maybe some beamshots comparing the two.

I know these lights don't have the best regulation, but the unbelievable flood-spot beam they have is really tempting me right now!

Hypo069

Newly Enlightened
i own the p7 and it is one great torch, i am under the impression that the p14 has about 200 meters more beam but is 3 times the size of the p7.

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
i own the p7 and it is one great torch, i am under the impression that the p14 has about 200 meters more beam but is 3 times the size of the p7.

I was hoping someone could take a picture to compare size, as I worried that the P14 is too big.
I'm really leaning toward the P7 right now. What kind of batteries are you using in yours?

FlashCrazy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have the P7 and T7, both are great lights... quite the powerhouses! I've seen the P14 at a local store, and it is quite a bit larger. According to Coast's new catalog, the P7 is 167 lumens, 5.5" long x 1.4" head diameter, and throws a 711 ft. beam. The P14 is 172 lumens, 8.5" long x 1.8" head diameter, and throws a 961 ft. beam. Keep in mind Coast does determine the lumens ratings using an integrating sphere, so the spec is real "out the front" lumens. :twothumbs Now, if they could just list accurate "real world" runtimes. :candle:

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I only have the P7 but I dont think theres 200 metres more beam in the P14.

I use NiMH batteries despite the warnings not to. I didnt even understand the warnings anyway. I am using the sanyo 1000mAh super lattice rather than eneloops as I tend to use this torch quite often ( not so much since I got the TK20 )

Anyway, the P14 is about the size of a mag 2C with a smaller head. Its not something thats easy to carry in the pocket. The P7 is pocketable, even in jeans pockets but theres a very noticeable bulge which may take some explaining.

Art

Enlightened
Doesnt the search work ok in this forum?

I actually owned both.. sold the P14 last week and did a review on both... let me search for it.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I own both but have loaned the P7 to a friend and cannot take pictures of them side by side right now. I do have a picture of the P14 with the Inova T4-MP and the 3D Mag.

The P14 is considerably bigger than the P7. It is also a little brighter, takes 4 AA's instead of AAA's and also throws a bit farther than the P7. In most other regards they look and function the same.

20081111p140003ve7.jpg

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for all the great replies!

Hitthespot,

If you could only buy one of these lights, which would it be?

adirondackdestroyer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Could someone that owns the P14 take a picture of it in their hand while they're holding it and has their thumb on the tailcap?

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks a lot for all the great replies!

Hitthespot,

If you could only buy one of these lights, which would it be?

If you needed to carry the light around all day I would choose the P7. If you need to have the brightest light for short durations ( say keeping in the car, the boat, in the cabin, I would choose the P14.

I would also say that the P14 is about as big as I would go with a rear mounted switch. It is front end heavy when trying to hold your hand to the back of the light to operate the switch.

Hope this helps,

Bill