Surefire - Amboyna Burl

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something a little different

Surefire 6P, Solarforce L2 body.Amboyna Burl

100_3494.jpg

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
I should also mention - it has an R2 LED providing plenty of light.....

will

Flashlight Enthusiast
ok how did you do it?

I used a Solarforce body. I turned down the area between two ridges ( the knurled area ) down to .875 inch. I then turned down a long groove, 1.000 inch long to a diameter of .800 inch. Next I parted the body in the middle of this groove. I made an aluminum bushing that will fit over this grooved area. This will create a press fit of the 2 parts of the body to get them back together. The wood part is created by boring a hole .878 inch in diameter, and making the length of the wood part the same as the length between the original 2 ridges.

I use Gorilla glue to adhere the wood to the aluminum body. The 2 body pieces, the bushing, and the wood get pressed together in a vice. Once the glue has hardened The assembly goes back into the lathe. I turn the the wood down to the same diameter as the ridges. Then some sanding, a coat of lacquer, a polish and a coat of wax on the wood.

I discovered the Solarforce body is actually 2 pieces that are screwed together after I made a few passes in the lathe. Also, the 2 ridges are not the same diameter, so the wood has a slight taper to it.

Once I finish the light I tried to break it apart by twisting and trying to bend it. It is a strong assembly. I did not put it in a vice with a pipe wrench to break it. In normal use it will be fine. Don't run over it with a car though.

It is a fair amount of work to do this. The end result is worth the time.

( No Surefire parts were harmed in making this )