Any one hear about a bill banning LED handhelds over 80 lumens?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKYWLKR

Enlightened
Sounds Crazy but it was posted up on another forum that a statement was made on CNN.but I can't find any info.
Sounds ridicules but I wouldn't put it past those idiots.

deranged_coder

Enlightened
Sounds Crazy but it was posted up on another forum that a statement was made on CNN.but I can't find any info.

Sounds crazy, indeed. Did whoever post this info on that other forum substantiate their source beyond, "I heard it on CNN" or "My best friend's father's mother's brother's sister's cousin's former room-mate's dog mentioned it to the hair stylist who mentioned it to my nosy neighbor while she was getting her hair curled a few weeks ago..."

DaFABRICATA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Good luck with that one!!

Of topic..
Speaking of rediculous laws....they actually just made a law here in my lame-*** town about being "annoying"!!!!

I'd LOVE to see someone try to serve me with one of these tickets!!

They'd get blasted in the face with well over 80 Lumens!!! I'm sure THAT would annoy them!!!

Flea Bag

Enlightened
I think one day, some kind of limit has to be enforced. If LED technology improves further, we might see kids buying a cheap mass-market and pocketable 1000 lumen LED lights or modifying them for even higher output and shining it at people's faces or damaging their vision over time. They can do this with the cheaper HIDs available today but they're heavy, are not able to flash on and off like kids like to do, and won't fit in a pocket.

They've set a 5mW limit for laser pointers so it can be done with flashlights. However, an 80 lumen limit seems a bit bonkers. Far too low! A number of out-of-house tasks could do with much more than 80 and many of us already have lights going far beyond 80.

Last edited:

lctorana

Flashlight Enthusiast
The suggestion that the ban be restricted to LED only makes this highly suspicious.

I mean, the larger Maglites, rechargeable Dolphins, all HID torches all easily top 80 lumens, and don't even get me started on those 500,000 CP and above SLA/halogen torches!

jtr1962

Flashaholic
The thing making me suspicious is that it's based on lumens, not intensity. Besides that, even if you legislated intensity limits, it makes no sense to set the limit any lower than the brightest natural source our eyes can deal with, namely the sun. This is roughly 100,000 lux. The only sad part is it'll probably happen sooner or later, and some clueless lawmaker will make a law based on lumens even though it makes absolutely no sense.

ruriimasu

Enlightened
i think its true what they say about the 80 lumens cap. lucky for you, i dont stay in the USA so all of you can send me all your over 80 lumens lights for safekeep!! i promise i will take good care of them.. muhahaha.. :D:crackup::lolsign:

Newly Enlightened
Are they talking emitter lumens, or out the front lumens?

Is this surefire lumens, or cheap plastic flashlight lumens?

Will this be measured by ceiling bounce or are these broke government know nothings going to invest in one of those sphere thingies?

Let them pass the law, when lumens are outlawed only outlaws will have lumens. :grin2:

unique

Enlightened
I would hate to see any ban like that! If it happens in America I see a big chance Australia following suite. As someone pointed out, it might actually get banned in the future just like restrictions on laser lights.
It eventually gets to a point where its necessary to bring in such bans

unique

Enlightened
Are they talking emitter lumens, or out the front lumens?

Is this surefire lumens, or cheap plastic flashlight lumens?

Will this be measured by ceiling bounce or are these broke government know nothings going to invest in one of those sphere thingies?

Let them pass the law, when lumens are outlawed only outlaws will have lumens. :grin2:
cheap plastic lights? Isnt lights like fenix measured in out the front lumens?

hippy

Newly Enlightened
Good luck with that one!!

Of topic..
Speaking of rediculous laws....they actually just made a law here in my lame-*** town about being "annoying"!!!!

I'd LOVE to see someone try to serve me with one of these tickets!!

They'd get blasted in the face with well over 80 Lumens!!! I'm sure THAT would annoy them!!!

I'd LOVE to see you try and defend yourself against that charge. Remember it would be your word against the word of a "Highly trained expert" a.k.a a cop.

Just one more potential charge to keep you in line.

In my state (New Mexico) they are arresting, and getting convictions, people for DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) because "in the officers expert opinion they driving is impaired". Even with blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels less than half the legal limit (0.08%), or in one or two cases the BAC evidence wasn't even allowed into evidence and people where convicted. They set a limit and then ignore it, that doesn't sit well with me.

corrections operator

Newly Enlightened
Ridiculous, couldn't be enforced! Beat cops have better things to do then check your flashlight for brightness! Imagine the equipment that would have to be lugged around and the legal hurdles that would have to be cleared to enforce each individual case.

On another note, from a purely theoretical standpoint, intentionally shining a very bright light in someone's eyes could constitute battery(assault) or criminal recklessness, if doing so directly or indirectly injured the person.

corrections operator

Newly Enlightened
I'd LOVE to see you try and defend yourself against that charge. Remember it would be your word against the word of a "Highly trained expert" a.k.a a cop.

Just one more potential charge to keep you in line.

In my state (New Mexico) they are arresting, and getting convictions, people for DWI (Driving While Intoxicated) because "in the officers expert opinion they driving is impaired". Even with blood alcohol concentration (BAC) levels less than half the legal limit (0.08%), or in one or two cases the BAC evidence wasn't even allowed into evidence and people where convicted. They set a limit and then ignore it, that doesn't sit well with me.

Not trying to bash or argue, but they are tried and convicted by a jury of their peers. Secondly, impairment and the legal limit are mutually exclusive. One can be impaired at significantly below the the .08 limit or impaired/intoxicated by substances other than alcohol. Just making the other side of the argument known. I'll not comment any further on this!

brighterisbetter

Flashlight Enthusiast
Keep in mind that we're flashaholics and the general public are not. When an 'everyday Joe' wants to power on a flashlight, he usually clicks a button, then clicks again to power off. I doubt that any non-flashaholic would intentionally attempt click-press-hold combinations to cycle through modes in an effort to seek maximum brightness capabilities, or even know how to for that matter.

Should this be more than a rumor, though unlikely IMO, our strategy must be to own multi-mode lights that power on in a <80lm mode :naughty: Then a click-press would activate the 100,000,000lm mode :crackup:

LukeA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Before we all start running around with our arms flailing above our heads shouting that the sky is falling we should take some time to remember that this is made up.

Status
Not open for further replies.