inova?

fenix-rules

Newly Enlightened
why has everyone written them off it seem like nobody carries them any more or even posts new threads about them. what do you guys expect from inova and their lag in technology?

Grog

Enlightened
why has everyone written them off it seem like nobody carries them any more or even posts new threads about them. what do you guys expect from inova and their lag in technology?

I have carried my XO3 (I think) (5.8w version) on duty for the last two years, completely reliable and feels as it could be driven over by a truck and keep on ticking.

<edit from 4.8 to 5.8w>

Last edited:

vtunderground

Enlightened
Eh, it might have taken them a while to catch up, but I've heard nothing but positive comments on Inova's current lights. I bought an XO as a Christmas gift for someone, and was so impressed with the brightness & tint of the new K2 emitters they're using that I ordered a T1 for myself (I'm waiting for the UPS guy as we speak).

Edit: UPS man just gave me my Inova T1. I like it.

Last edited:

Flashlight Enthusiast
Inova is really good in my opinion they were my first high powered led light back in the day or i should say they were the first handheld led light i got.

kramer5150

Flashaholic
I like Inova... USA made, typeIII, small/compact, shallow water submersible, good tint & beam quality... I just wish they could accept RCR123 cells, or run optimally from a 17650.

MaineChuck

Newly Enlightened
I'm thinking about purchasing an Inova T3-MP from a well known "Maine retailer"( I live close by). They also offer the Surefire 6PL-BK, ~~same $. They both look like great lights, which one has more "Bang for the Buck"?:thinking:

Holepuncher

Enlightened
For years I always liked the Inovas. Now I even like the one's that everybody hates - The dreaded Bolts. I have all 3 of that series and have a fondness for them :sick:. Overpriced but they look and feel like you could smash them up against a wall and not harm them.

rockz4532

Enlightened
Inova's high point is the durability of their lights, not the power or brightness. I want them to make a direct drive P7 or MCE Light on 1 18650. I'll be waiting a while...

rockz4532

Enlightened
I'm thinking about purchasing an Inova T3-MP from a well known "Maine retailer"( I live close by). They also offer the Surefire 6PL-BK, ~~same $. They both look like great lights, which one has more "Bang for the Buck"?:thinking:
T3, the P60L is complete junk, 12 hours regulated? yeah right, if you get the 6PL, get a malkoff for it.

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still waiting on my K series pre-order but i would like an x5 using Nichia GS.

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
why has everyone written them off................. what do you guys expect from inova and their lag in technology? ....

Inova like all the lights we talk about here on CPF has their good points and their bad points. No one has written them off, at least from anything I've read. While there are parts of their designs that some may not care for, I don't think they lag from a technology stand point.
Here is my opinion on my Inova T4-MP.

Nice warm beam.
Well designed reflector with a good mix of flood and throw.
Built like a tank. I ran the car over mine twice with no ill effects.
Charger is well made and the battery is Li-ion.
The switch is well thought out and placed perfect.
Simple UI.

Too big for everyday or all day carry unless it's for on duty.
Not the brightest for its size.
Not water resistant enough.
No holster or lanyard hole included.

Bill

Last edited:

Big_Ed

Flashlight Enthusiast
They may be a bit behind the times when it comes to CPF standards, but to the general public, who pretty much buys their flashlights in stores, they are as good as anything else in the flashlight aisle. But there's two areas that I feel Inova are still leaders no matter by whose standards you go by. They are as tough or tougher than any other brand of flashlight, truly built like tanks. Also their fit and finish is as good as any other brand of flashlight I have. They have the smoothest feeling threads.
I have several Inovas, and like them all.

vtunderground

Enlightened

The Inova T3. It has better anodizing and a clickie tailcap, and (IMHO) Inova's design and construction is just as good as Surefire.

jzmtl

Flashlight Enthusiast

No, but they sure are lagging product release time. I've been waiting for that previous linked light for three months now on pre-order list, still no word on when it'll ship (supposed to have it in hand two months ago). :mad:

dano

Flashlight Enthusiast

Lag? What lag?

The Inforce line uses the most current LED and is probably one of the most advanced lights currently available. Their other models are bullet proof and ultra-reliable.

Hooked on Fenix

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am still waiting on my K series pre-order but i would like an x5 using Nichia GS.

Then buy one. The X5s use GS l.e.d.s now. Look for a 2008 copyright date on the back of the packaging to make sure you get one. The CS l.e.d. version had a 2006 copyright date. My new X5 is definitely brighter than my CS version one was.

As for Inova not having up to date emitters, that's completely wrong. The TFFC K2s in their T series lights work great. They generally have a warm tint, something you can't get in the highest binned l.e.d.s. The beams are basically flawless and the lights are built like tanks. They do need to update the X series and Bolt series lights (other than the X5), but that's hard to do since they rate their l.e.d.s in watts instead of lumens. I'd like to see them make the X1 better in the next version instead of worse. The first generation was perfect, but dim. The tight beam was useful for certain applications. The second version was bright enough for most tasks but using rechargeables fried the l.e.d., lenses fell out, and weak threads made the tailcap eventually fall off. The third generation addressed most of the problems of generation 2 and added hard anodizing, but they used a lousy l.e.d. that got 1/5 the runtime at almost twice the brightness and poor bulb life (2,000 hours). If they put a Rebel or Cree l.e.d. in it, and made it so it could work with rechargeables without flickering or ruining the l.e.d.s, a lot more people would buy them.

RyanA

Flashlight Enthusiast
Meh, I hear they've been having quality issues. Most of the local cops here got free T-series lights from Innova (they are based nearby in Quonsett, RI) now they're all back to carrying their old Surefires and Streamlights.:shrug: