The Clip that Saved my EDC's Life

D-Dog

Enlightened
A few days ago, I reached into my pocket right by my dorm's outside door to pull out my wallet and my EDC also fell out (NiteCore Extreme). It luckily bounced off my shoe and then rolled across a rubber door mat, stopping when it reached the large clip.

It that clip hadn't been there, the light would have taken a good 4.5 foot fall onto concrete :sick2:

Has anyone else had a similar experience where a clip, or lanyard, or other protrusion on the light saved it from a fall off the table, down the steps, off a roof, etc?

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
well Ill tell you this much, surefires anti roll bezel isnt enough to keep it from rolling off a barn...thats a good 30 foot drop onto gravel :ohgeez:

Sgt. LED

Flashaholic
As much as I like fully round, clipless lights for EDC I have to say that the clip has stopped it from rolling to it's doom more than once.

gallonoffuel

Enlightened
Good to hear the clip saved it, but I can attest that a 4.5 foot drop onto concrete is not nearly enough to destroy an NEI. Mine has taken a tumble onto the pavement while it slid off the bed box of my truck, I was doing about 20mph at the time. You can't even really tell it happened, no large chucks or anything out of the aluminum. It must have landed just right.

D-Dog

Enlightened
Glad to hear yours made it though that ok too. I was fairly sure it would have survived, however, depending on how it landed, there could have been a few unwanted chips :mecry: I accept the fact that my EDC will become "used" over the months, as I would rather carry it than leave it on the shelf, however, when it' still fairly new, it can be tough to accept the fact that it will receive damage :p

500th Post :party:

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
I had a light with a clip in my left hip pocket. When I got out of my car once, my seat belt caught it and pulled it out, unbeknownst to me. Luckily it landed inside the car where I found it later. It could have easily been lost because of that clip, and now I never use them for anything I value.

D-Dog

Enlightened
Wow, that is different, purposely foregoing a clip. How do you carry lights now? A lanyard? Holster on belt? Pocket carry?

Chrontius

Flashlight Enthusiast
Actually, I've ruined a few Surefire clips - I was wrecking them so regularly I bought a holster. Bent out of shape, broken off, doesn't matter - they are absolutely a backup measure on my Aviator.

swrdply400mrelay

Enlightened
if my nitecore fell 5 ft and broke, i think i'd be pretty disappointed in the quality of the flashlight, but the clip has definitely stopped it from rolling off tables before

D-Dog

Enlightened
if my nitecore fell 5 ft and broke, i think i'd be pretty disappointed in the quality of the flashlight, but the clip has definitely stopped it from rolling off tables before

Yea lol... a $90 light falls 5 feet and just dies :p

I doubt that would have happened, however, it's nice to have a few less marks on the light than a few more right?

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
I don't use a clip or a lanyard for my EX10. I have found that they get in the way more than anything. I just keep it in my pocket. It has never fallen out and I hardly notice it. I carry lots of things in my pockets. Of course, It makes it easier that most of my pants are cargo pants.

D-Dog

Enlightened
I don't use a clip or a lanyard for my EX10. I have found that they get in the way more than anything. I just keep it in my pocket. It has never fallen out and I hardly notice it. I carry lots of things in my pockets. Of course, It makes it easier that most of my pants are cargo pants.

How is the finish on your EX holding up to the pocket treatment?

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, that is different, purposely foregoing a clip. How do you carry lights now? A lanyard? Holster on belt? Pocket carry?
Pocket carry for small 1xAAA or 1xAA sized lights. I use a 1x18650 light when I want more oomph, and I carry that in a horizontal belt pouch which is pretty low profile.

balou

Enlightened
Has anybody got experience how big a fall nitecores will survive? I guess there will be no pocket clip on my D10 to prevent any falls...

sappyg

Enlightened
Has anybody got experience how big a fall nitecores will survive? I guess there will be no pocket clip on my D10 to prevent any falls...

yestreday i used mine as a hammer to breaker through some sheetrock to get at a covered up low voltage wire. it took about 7-8 smacks bezel first without even breaking the lens. it basically went on and off from the impact but that was it. i can tell you for sure that it's not heavey enough to be a good hammer but it is as tuff as nails.
mine has survived numerous falls to concrete (3-4 ft.) with only minor cosmetic damage.

Guy's Dropper

Enlightened
How is the finish on your EX holding up to the pocket treatment?
After 2 months, I can find no visible marks or scratches. I've left it in the same pocket with change only once, and that did not do anything to it. Other than that, there has not really been anything in my pockets to scratch it, as I typically keep it in the same pocket as my wallet. I treat my lights pretty well. The worst it has suffered, other than the change, was a 7ft fall onto carpet that did not damage it in any way. It might be a good idea to clean off and re-lube the piston every few months, due to all of the lint in my pockets.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

I dropped my EX10 when I first got it. It fell from about 3 feet. The bezel and bezel ring were dented and it stopped working properly. The contact ring inside was sticking. I sent it back to Fenix-store where they fixed it and put a new bezel ring on for me. It has been working fine ever since.

I generally don't use clips but I leave them on if the light comes with one. I pocket carry my lights and so far I have not had any problems.