Blackout in the Toronto

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
As I'm typing this power has been out for almost 12 hours. The house is around 12 degrees C and dropping about 2 degrees every 2 hours. Reports say it feels like -30 C outside.

I got 3 Osram GD lanterns set up on low power as area lighting. My network gear is being run off of 2 large APC UPS units. My laptop and cell phone is hooked up to a smaller APC UPS that's battery has died but I rigged it up to an extra car battery I have.

Goodthing we use gas for heating and for the range. So I can still cook and have hot water. The furnace won't work without power but at least I can warm up for a bit with a hot drink and meal or stand by the range for a few minutes to warm up.

All the emergency planning since the big blackout of 2003 has come in handy. Since the blackout is only affecting a small portion of the city my family has gone to stay with my relatives while I'm here making sure the house is fine and making sure the pipes don't burst.

The black out was fun for a while but with this weather I hope power comes back soon.

That's the sit-rep.

Here's the lighter side and what the flashoholics want to hear.

A week ago Walmart cleared out their solarpanels (The kind you hook up to your car to keep the battery topped up). Individually those panels are pretty much useless. Generating 10mA with winter skies. However Walmart cleared them out at ridiculous prices (4 of them for the price of 1) I got a bunch of them and now it's charging up my UPS batteries at about 200mA. Not a lot but after 10 hours that's about half the battery and better than nothing. Able to keep my laptop going for about 10 hours. My girlfriend laughed when I got so many but she ain't laughing no more. I can also power my WF-139 charger with this array if I needed to so that's cool.

It's true a dim light that runs for a long time is better than a bright "Flash" light in the pure untainted darkness. Besides using the Lanterns on low for area lighting I'm using my HDS EDCs on 10lms which is good for about 30 hours to walk around. Ok ok something for the big incan guys; I have my 6D Mag ROP nearby too. I keep it incase there's a "bump in the night".

Here's a really funny story. It's ~6AM, I hear a bunch of noise. I wake up to see what that commotion is and I find my mom running around like a headless chicken saying there's no power, she's can't find a flashlight that works and can't find the candles. My mom wakes up realizes there's no power, picks up her cell phone uses that to navigate to the basement to get the only flashlight in the house that just so happens to NOT have any batteries in it. She sleeps next door to my grandmother which happens to have a plastic 2D with PR2 SMJ, Osram GD lantern, Fenix L2P, 2 modded dollar store lanterns and a 9LED 3AAA sitting on her dresser. That was a serious palm slap moment. :crackup:
I could tell she was really worried so I fire up my lanterns, the laptop and TV and tell her it's just this area and it'll be fine. Just head in to work and charge her cell phone up while there.

Good thing I was prepared. Makes me wonder how would my family or I react if I got caught again with my pants down like in 2003? Seriously given the story above what would happen if I wasn't prepared.

Centropolis

Enlightened
This reminded me the last time the power went out in Richmond Hill for three hours about a month ago.

My girlfriend was impressed with my JetBeam Jet-I Pro IBS ceiling-bounced to light up pretty much the whole living room in her apartment.

P.S. Did you turn on your HID? :)

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
This reminded me the last time the power went out in Richmond Hill for three hours about a month ago.

My girlfriend was impressed with my JetBeam Jet-I Pro IBS ceiling-bounced to light up pretty much the whole living room in her apartment.

P.S. Did you turn on your HID? :)

Had a better use for the battery. Took it out to power a UPS. Using that to run the router while the main battery is being charged by my solar array.

Lee1959

Flashlight Enthusiast
Been there, hope you get your power back soon, winter blackoutas are not just an inconvience, they can become dangerous. Keep your water dripping if possible to keep pipes and drains from freezing. Stay warm.

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just wanted to give an update. It's around 1PM. Power's been out for 14 hours. Parts of the affected areas are back up, however I'm not in one of them.

Temps are steady indoors at about 12 degrees. I really hope I get power soon.

All my basement taps are not dripping steady so hopefully no problems will arise.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
All I got is this picture on the news.
450_Outage_2_0901152.jpg

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast
I feel for ya tebore. :sigh: My power went out last night for about, or should I say, ..for only, 2½ hrs. and it was -4° F at the time. That was long enough for me. It took the whole night for the furnace to catch up once the power came back on.

Hang in there. :candle:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Well from the 2003 blackout I learned one thing to be prepared. However I'm more prepared for a summer blackout than a winter one. Makes sense if you think about it. Summer = AC = Heavy drain = might kill the grid.

I've got tonnes of batteries and lights and based on my equipment's ratings over 1kW of stored electrical power.

The only thing I didn't think of was heating. I macguyvered up a small gas stove like unit to the area around me from being too cold. Of course you're not supposed to use it as a heater but when you got no choice. It's used in short 5-10 minute bursts.

What I learned is I gotta get me a propane heater. One of those that attach to your propane tanks that you use for your BBQ. I already have a propane tank and BBQ so it's a good add-on. Again yes you're not suppose to use this indoors but in a large basement used in short bursts it's better than sitting around in 10 degree temperatures.

And good thing I still got my sense of humour... I wonder how serious I was about going out with the HID. Well I really don't want to be put in the position to be able to do the beam shot(Fingers crossed on power coming back).

HarryN

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be possible to use the UPS to run the furnace. It just needs to power up the fan and igniter. If it is not big enough, perhaps that is a good location for a UPS in the future ?

Seriously - do not use a BBQ heater in the house. There are news stories even around here lately on people dying from that approach. Perhaps consider going to a hotel for the night or find a local friend with heat and spend a night there.

I lived in IA for 3 winters, and grew up in N OH. The nice thing about people that live in cold weather, is that they really "get it" when someone needs shelter or help in the cold.

In a dire emergency, one time I did use our kitchen gas stove on low to keep the place from going crazy cold. That was in a cabin in the Sierra Mountains.

Last edited:

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
It might be possible to use the UPS to run the furnace. It just needs to power up the fan and igniter. If it is not big enough, perhaps that is a good location for a UPS in the future ?

I thought about that. And I just need to power the relay/transformer and fan.

The problem with this is the motor is probably very power hungry. My UPS's are rated at 1kW each (2 of them). The motor would probably blow through it in ~ 4 hours. The reason being the conversion would be very very inefficient. These UPS are designed to run computer equipment and are more efficient at doing so.

I know there's another kind of UPS that's designed for running fridges and so on and are better suited for the job. Unfortunately money is an issue. But it is something I'm going to look in to.

When you say BBQ Heater, do you mean propane powered or burning coals? Propane heaters burn clean except you might get CO2 poisoning.

It's funny because going back to my first post I was going to design a solar charging system using those cheap panels I got. Today's experience has given me ideas on where to take this design.

Last edited:

Sub_Umbra

Flashlight Enthusiast
...Propane heaters burn clean except you might get CO2 poisoning...
It's the carbon MONoxide that is the real danger. I don't have anything in my house that runs on gas except when the power is out. If you buy a CO alarm (like I did) just be sure to get one that runs on batteries so it will be there for you all the time.

They've come down in price quite a bit over the years.

ackbar

Enlightened
This sucks. The factory across the street has power... half my street has power.. but I'm still "in the dark."

My cuz has had power since 9am this morning.. I'm about 100M away and am still in dark :(

I seriously need to pickup a UPS.. just to keep the modem/router/laptop combo running. The lack of a net connection is causing me to go stir crazy.

ackbar

Enlightened
I got power back! actually I got it at around 9:30pm.. so downtime was just 30 minutes shy of 24 hours

BB

Flashlight Enthusiast
Glad you got your power back.

Can you justify a Honda eu2000i generator? A few gallons of gas will keep the basic home running for a day (400 watts for 15 hours or 1,600 watts for 4 hours, on 1.1 gallons of fuel). Sounds dangerous without power (heat) in the cold snap you guys are having.

What was the cause? Ice on power lines?

-Bill

tebore

Flashlight Enthusiast
Power was restored at around 10:15PM. I finally got to rebooting my network(had to shutdown the power hogs such as my media server), unloading all the eneloops to the charger and my Li-ions to their charger.

While Carbon Monoxide is also a danger carbon dioxide poisoning is also a danger. I considered the CO2 more of a danger since I had the detectors for CO.

A generator might be a good idea. The thing is to really get good use of a generator you'd need an electrical system that well integrates it in to the home which is pricy and allows the generator to be stationary. Otherwise you'd have to run long extensions being downtown it's kinda a pain.

Well what I take away from this are things I have to prepare for in the future.

ackbar

Enlightened
Glad you got your power back.

Can you justify a Honda eu2000i generator? A few gallons of gas will keep the basic home running for a day (400 watts for 15 hours or 1,600 watts for 4 hours, on 1.1 gallons of fuel). Sounds dangerous without power (heat) in the cold snap you guys are having.

What was the cause? Ice on power lines?

-Bill

Power outages like this are few and far between. The last major outage was the big one in 2003. I can't really justify the expense.

What I really loved was the idiot on 680 news bitching about how "the city wasn't prepared." How about you buddy, were you prepared?