Mini-component Home Theater advice

guncollector

Enlightened
Okay, okay, I know Bose audio systems are scoffed at by true audiophiles.

But our new family room does not have the space to accomodate our old system (Denon AVR-3300 A/V Receiver, Acurus 250W amp, ADR & Klipsch speakers, plus a DVD player plus a VHS player, on top of the TiVo & Cable box!).

So the wife and I are investigating the space-saving (and admittedly audio-compromising) Bose Lifestyle 28 Home Entertainment System.

It seems to have the important aspects we want (in order of importance): a) compact size (integrated CD/MP3/DVD player), b) multi-source capability (ability to play 2 different sources to different parts of the house--they call it "Zones"), c) Digital 5.1 Surround-sound.

Anybody have experience with this or a similar Bose system? Any/all advice/input appreciated! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

NeonLights

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been involved with hifi/midfi equipment for 10-12 years, and would have to say avoid Bose, unless size is your only concern, and sound quality is basicallly irrelevant. If it were me in your situation, I'd try to get creative with what you already have, or without buying too much more equipment.

Here is what I would do. If the receiver meets your needs, keep the receiver, and lose the amp. Lose the DVD player and VCR, and buy a combination DVD/VCR unit. I'll assume your speakers are rather large, and I'd suggest a smaller satellite system, I personally have speaker systems by Paradigm and NHT, and would reccomend products from both companies.

On the other hand, I'm not so much of an elitest (anymore) to totally recommend against Bose in all situations. If it seems to meet your needs, and is within your price range, and the sound is satisfactory, buy it from a place (like Crutchfield) where you can listen to the system in your home for 30 days, and return it with no questions asked if you don't like it.

Good luck, I may be in the same boat in a few years if/when we have to convert our home theater room into a child's bedroom.

-Keith

EMPOWERTORCH

Enlightened
Most hi-fi companies now make equipment with the Dolby Surround system, and some even incorporate a DVD player.
NICAM VCR's are now extremely cheap to buy following the advent of DVD, but still give outstanding performance considering the 23 year old technology used!
Playing 2 sound sources from the same unit is generally not possible unless you have 2 amplifiers, or if you can split your 5 channel amp into 2 channel plus 3 channels.
I intend soon to incorporate all my Home entertainment equipment into one cabinet incorporating (Mainly separate) items

5 channel Dolby Surround Amplifier
Dolby C tape deck
DVD/CD player
vinyl deck (wot, for those big black CD's??)
Nicam VCR
FreeView Digital Television box
Sattelite or Cable reciever
Bush Internet Web Box
FM/AM Tuner
DAB Tuner
Large screen or projection monitor

The big difficulty in connecting all tgis together is ensuring correct signal routing into and out of the numerous audio, scart and video sockets. A signal router box will be required with at least 4 SCARTs and 3 Audio channels!

But the nicest thing is that once installed in the cabinet ther'll be one 13 amp plug, an aerial socket and dish connection, and you're ready to go!

jtivat

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have worked for a professional sound company for 14 years. While Bose is not the highest fidelity sound out there, to 95% of the people in this world it is great and they would not notice the difference in it and a V-Dosc system. Another plus is the stuff is very durable, a lot of home hifi guys do some pretty unbelievable and crazy stuff along with spending lots of $$$ on things that only they can hear (supposedly). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ron,

When comparing "mini" systems, all seem to fall short compared to their bigger brothers. I think these systems do have their place though. While these systems may be somewhat inferior in sound quality, most people buy these systems because of space. There are a lot of these systems out there so look around before you buy.

My biggest problem with Bose isn't the sound quality, it's the price. Bose systems are one of the most expensive systems on the market. Keep in mind that Bose systems are not easily upgraded depending on your needs.

IMHO I feel that Bose systems are better at home theatre than music. If you watch a lot of movies, this could be the system for you. And if your not an audiophile, it still does O.K. with music. I feel subwoofer placement is VERY critical with this system.

just my thoughts
kev

guncollector

Enlightened
Thanks, gents, for all the great advice! Methinks I'm going to a combo of the advice above...keep the current system, combine the vhs/dvd, downsize the speakers, etc.

Power question: is the Denon AVR-330's 105W per channel sufficient to run an entire house? More importantly, is it logistically feasible? Previously, I believe we had the Acurus 250W amp running the "house speakers" (i.e. the non-Home theater speakers).

Thanks again!

tiktok 22

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Ron,

105 watts per channel should be enough for just about any speakers(keeping in mind the sensitivity and ohm rating). If you are going to use only the Denon for you home theatre and other speakers(outside or another room),
check your owners manual. Watching a movie while listening to music in another room may not be possible as the reciever probably uses two of the surround channels to power other speakers. However, listening to two channels of music in each room will probably work. Again, check the owners manual for dual room "zone" use.

You can still always use the Acurus to power other speakers.
Although this would now include more components and the need for more space that you don't really want.

Kev

PlayboyJoeShmoe

Flashaholic
I have a pair of right at 30 year old Pioneer mini speakers (4" woofer 1" tweeter) hooked up to roughly 25w channel old JC Penny reciever. They are a remakable pair of speakers.

I have Radio Shack Optimus speakers of about the same size factor as rear channel speakers on around twice the power.

The old Pioneers make quite a bit of base, the Optimus don't (at least as used here).

But my main noisemakers have 12" woofs, and I don't plan to have it any other way!

Go to someplace like Circuit City and Best Buy and listen to as many speakers as you can. Last time my buddy bought a TV, two TVs were considered. One had a slightly better picture (and the Sony name) the other was an RCA that had CLEARLY superior sound. He bought the Sony - the SNOB!

Badbeams3

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you go to CNET they have many reveiws of some of the "home theaters in a box". I read one made by...was it Onkyo? blew away all the others...had a great picture out put from the dvd too...but it is around a thousand bucks. The user opinions ageed with the editors reviews claiming it was "increadable"..."supurb". Myself, I have a 20 buck radio...and headphones (nice ones).

Tree

Flashlight Enthusiast
[ QUOTE ]
jtivat said:
While Bose is not the highest fidelity sound out there, to 95% of the people in this world it is great and they would not notice the difference in it and a V-Dosc system.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif I know you are just making a point, but... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/ohgeez.gif

One thing I don't like about the Bose Lifestyle systems (besides the sound of course /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif ) is the lack of expansion capabilities like a regular receiver would have. For example will you be able to hook up your VCR, cable TV, Tivo, Camcorder, and whatever else you might want to play through your sound system when you need to?

For the price you could slim your own system down to fit in any space with great sound.

On the other hand if the Lifestyle system has the capabilities you want, it is small, sleek, and the radio remote will work from anywhere in the house. Just be sure to compare it in person to another sound system equivalent to hear the difference. Back in the day, I used to sell these things at Circuit City. Listening to music through Bose was OK I guess, but I never liked the way it sounded with TV and movies.

**edit**

Just read you are going to suppliment what you have. For running separate sound somewhere else it looks like the Denon reciver you have has plenty of pre outs so you could use your Acurus amp to drive some smaller speakers wherever you may want to put them although I don't know if you could do two sources at once.