The Battle of the Ebay LEDs

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks to another CPF member, (not sure if he wants to be identified) we performed a swap of some ebay LEDs so we can compare them.

The ebay sellers are JELED and Light of Victory (LOV). The product is their 55,000mcd 5mm white LEDs. These two sellers seem to offer a better product than the typical cheapo ebay LED. These LEDs are around 30 cents each depending on qty. purchased. I will say, after comparing, that the other sellers offering the 10 cent LEDs don't compare too well with these.

The camera sensor shows brightness levels better than the human eye, so that is what I use to compare. I photograph the beam through white plexi for consistancy.

A)10ma with plexi touching to top of LEDs. This shows relative brightness before the light has a chance to scatter. They are pretty even with the JELED a touch bluer and brighter.

B)10ma with plexi at 4" off. You can see the JELED has a narrow beam with a blue center. The "angry blue center" as someone called it.:naughty:

C)10ma wall bounce. The narrow beam of the JELED looks brighter. The JELED seems to be better for flashlights. LOV's beam is more diffuse, but is consistent in color.

D)Now I turn up the current to 40ma, plexi on LED. Still about even, The JELED looks a tad brighter.

E)40ma with plexi 4" up. This shows the beam angles better.

I will need to test how the JELED holds up in the 30ma 192 hour test. The LOV LED faded a bit in this test.

Conclusion: I pick the JELED for flashlight use. It throws better with its tighter beam. You'll have to put up with the blue center and yellowish flood. That seems to be par for the course with tight focussed 5mm LEDs. The LOV LED has a consistant beam color, but the wider angle will make it not throw as well for flashlight use.

LOV and JELED are not one in the same as someone suggested. The stamping pattern on the side of the die cup is different, so probably different factories.

I will post back with the results of the "fade" test when completed.

jeledvslov.jpg

Minjin

Flashlight Enthusiast
The JELED 55ks are the best budget white LEDs out there. I've used plenty of them and they have been discussed here before.

Fallingwater

Flashlight Enthusiast
Your test convinced me that Jeleds are a better choice than me than the LOV LEDs, so I'm not going to buy the latter after all.
I'm eagerly awaiting the results of the fading test.

I'm going to have to look into these LEDs for some general projects and save my Nichia 5mm LEDs.
I use my (few) GS LEDs in lights that use few emitters (1-3), but I obviously can't use them for things such as showerhead lights, or the value of the LEDs would far exceed the value of the light, and at that point it becomes a lot more convenient to just use one high-flux emitters.
Instead, I use Jeleds in the showerhead lights and those I don't feel are deserving or GS (like my cheapo dynamo light), and I've been pretty happy so far.

Black Rose

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have 10 DS and 10 GS, but want to save them for high quality upgrades.

The projects I am planning call for more flood than spot, so I think the LOV LEDs would work better for my needs.

Can't beat the price, that's for sure.