Reassure me on my new M60L

Forgetful

Newly Enlightened
Well I just got a Malkoff M60L for a new drop in. Awesome construction and it looks like a great drop in. I just have a question about the LED(emmiter?). it seems to be a little off center. From what I've gathered here this could potentially cause problems with the beam being lopsided, funny shaped, or something. But I just don't know how off center it'd have to be. Also since Malkoff uses a optic instead of a reflector could this factor into it somehow.

If there is a problem with it being off center can I easily fix it? I just got it and I'd hate to have to ship it right back for a small little problem.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Here are the pictures of it- (I haven't put it in a flashlight yet, tonight I probally will; pending your responces though)

P2090196.jpg

P2090197.jpg

P2090200.jpg

Edit: Also see that there are little fuzzies that seem to be inside the lens, are these anything to worry about? I assume not. Sorry I'm new to all this.

Last edited:

DM51

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF, Forgetful.

Please would you resize your pics - the forum limit is 800 x 800 pixels.

MrGman

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be far more intelligent to put it into an actual host and look at the beam straight away on the wall than to look at the little dome cover over the emitter under the optic and try to figure out from there that its off center and will give you an offcenter beam. If it is off center, you can't fix it. I may not be at all, it may just barely be. It may be that you only see it on a white wall with much scrutiny and in real use its a fine beam. The optics do really good at making most of that go away better than a reflector. But to worry about it before you even look at the beam is ridiculous. :shakehead To even consider rejecting it based on opinions of the centering of the optics without looking at the beam is even more ridiculous. :shakehead Look at the beam.

The dome over the cree emitter "appears" off center, Malkoff doesn't make those, he buys them. However offsetting the domed emitter slightly under the optic to compensate for the emitter to dome centering itself may work just fine.

thermal guy

Flashaholic
:welcome: Some people go crazy if there emitter is off by 0.002!Drives me nuts.But to answer your question your beam should be just fine but if by some chance it is not to your liking there is not much you could do to fix it yourself.Just give Gene a call and he will make it right for you he is a top notch guy.

Forgetful

Newly Enlightened
It would be far more intelligent to put it into an actual host and look at the beam straight away on the wall than to look at the little dome cover over the emitter under the optic and try to figure out from there that its off center and will give you an offcenter beam. If it is off center, you can't fix it. I may not be at all, it may just barely be. It may be that you only see it on a white wall with much scrutiny and in real use its a fine beam. The optics do really good at making most of that go away better than a reflector. But to worry about it before you even look at the beam is ridiculous. :shakehead To even consider rejecting it based on opinions of the centering of the optics without looking at the beam is even more ridiculous. :shakehead Look at the beam.

The dome over the cree emitter "appears" off center, Malkoff doesn't make those, he buys them. However offsetting the domed emitter slightly under the optic to compensate for the emitter to dome centering itself may work just fine.

Alright, thank you, I haven't been able to put in a light yet because I'm at work. When I get home I'll check it out on the wall and outside. I really don't care if it looks funny on the wall, I just need it to work great outdoors. I know it's silly to judge a light before using it but I was curious.

Youfoundnemo

Enlightened
If I remember correctly, which I may not, the object (emmiter) will seem to change position when viewed through an optic with any (even slight) curvature. I would say keep it, love it, excersize it often and feed it well (I hear they like batterystation cells) =]

Forgetful

Newly Enlightened
If I remember correctly, which I may not, the object (emmiter) will seem to change position when viewed through an optic with any (even slight) curvature. I would say keep it, love it, excersize it often and feed it well (I hear they like batterystation cells) =]
Alright I will, Thanks. I was wondering if the optic would change anything.

Yoda4561

Flashlight Enthusiast
Concentrate on the yellow part of the die, that large black line makes it look off center, that's just an optical illusion.

Martin SH

Newly Enlightened
Its probably going to be rubbish, but I will happily take it off your hands for $25 :naughty:

Sorry I couldn't resist! I am sure it will be fine. I have an M60 and love it! My next purchase will be a M60L.

Martin