Help w/EX-10 problem please..Update.

trapn1

Newly Enlightened
I bought this EX10 off the MP couple weeks ago. Worked OK for awhile then started to not stay on in any mode. Thought maybe the battery and changed batt. Still not staying on. Cleaned tube and relubed w/silicon grease cleaned end of tube w/emory paper and contacts on head. Any other thoughts? Battery is a generic 123 (Sportsmans Whse) and voltage is 3.0 v. Thanks for your help. George
Update: I just noticed that the gold ring in the head is sticking and not as springy as before, I guess this may be the prob. I guess because I bought it used on the MP that I can't get warranty coverage. Is there anything I can do to fix it? Thanks, George

Last edited:

abarth_1200

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Help w/EX-10 problem please...

have a look at the back of the head, there is a gold ring that the piston presses against, make sure it can be depressed and springs back out, it should protude from where the threads stop about 2mm and if you havent tried already try a different brand cell, some are too long/short

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

It kinda sounds like you don't have the two halves screwed together tight. If you have the head unscrewed a bit from being tightened, the light will only work as momentary mode.

trapn1

Newly Enlightened

Contact is springy and I cleaned it, Head is tight to body. Haven't tried a diff. brand of cell. Any other ideas. Thx. George

Lite_me

Flashlight Enthusiast

That's what I would try... a different brand of battery. Make it a name-brand if possible. It's now sounding like the battery is too long.

The tolerances of the EX10's do not allow for excess battery length. The actual problem lies with the battery spring in the bottom of the piston. When a battery of excess length is used, the spring compresses completely when switching and you loose needed travel in the piston. It's actually a poor design in the spring not allowing it to compress to a single layer of metal. The rings gets folded over on top of each other restricting needed travel.

It just may be that not all EX10's suffer from this, there's so many out there of different runs, it's hard to tell. Mine would do it, but I just used shorter batteries and it worked fine.

Oddjob

Flashlight Enthusiast

The gold ring in the head started to stick on mine after I dropped it. I did notice some flecks of debris under it. I returned it to 4sevens for repair and it has worked ever since. If it was originally purchased from 4sevens it would probably be covered under warranty.