Night rallies - sled dog rigs

tbourner

Newly Enlightened
Hi guys,
Need some advice, we're planning on getting our dog (Alaskan Malamute) into sled pulling, and some of the events are at night, a bit like this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pYIx7m8Utg
The rigs they use have normal bicycle handlebars, so I'm looking for a lighting solution for the future.
It needs to be very bright; it can be brighter than would be allowed on the roads as there won't (shouldn't) be anyone in front of you in the woods. Needs as much of a flooded beam as possible. Can have a seperate battery if that's best. Runtime only needs to be about 30 mins really, preferably with constant brightness throughout though.
I've only just started looking around properly at LEDs, I've had my Fenix TK10 since Christmas which I love, was thinking of just buying 3 or 4 of those to stick on the front - but the beam is a bit too 'spot'y to be much use. So what are these SSC P#? Are they the LEDs or the lights? I've heard of Cateye and Lupine on the forum, but they seem to be mostly US based - any dealers in the UK? Any other choices? What sort of cost am I looking at for these? Any other options for around £200 or less (basing it on 4 x TK10s :D )?
Thanks,
Trev.

nathanschmoekel

Newly Enlightened
I can tell you from 24 hour mountainbiking experiance to be sure to also have a strong light mounted to your head. The sled mounted light will only point where the sled is pointing, but you may need to look into a corner or off to the side of the trail to get your bearing. Your head will also naturally stabalize the light, which may keep you from getting woozie watching the main sled light bouncing around.

Check out bikelights.com
Light 'n motion has some really reliable, high output equipment. Some of my lights are 6 years old and still going. There have been some bulbs and switches that have needed replacing ,but the customer service has been outstanding.
I have opreated their li-ion batteries in temps near zero F and have noticed only a slight reduction in run times maybe 5-7%?

Last edited:

yellow

Flashlight Enthusiast
When You say "Lupine", say "Tesla". There is no better production light performance/price wise
(but the price is a price ..., even when it is very good - for a Lupine)

the P7 lamps pushy linked run with the same led model and are cheaper - and much worse in quality - but still work.
Running on a single 18650 there is about 1 hour + a few mins of light, one fed with 2*18650 were much better, but that adds length and weight.

The led used (Seoul P7 or Cree MC-E) has four emitter plates in a single package.
One of them gives the output of four lights like the TK10 (argueable, but about that)
and thus much "better" than FOUR of these 1*18650 single emitter lights. Considerably cheaper ...
(drawback: power hungry + heat)
Get a 2*18650 one and this alone will be more than enough!

A headlamp is a good idea, for MTB-Trail riding I use a normal one, strapped to my helmet.
A Streamlight Argo HP modded to run with an 18650 Li-Ion cell, thus the same as my primary light (which is a single Led 1*18650 light. VERY small and handy, running for 2 hours on max power and enough for biking. Just like the TK10, but with the better battery source. Look for Jetbeam Jet III models)

PS: I dont like the "teeth" on these tactical models (like TK10), they make it difficult to pocket these lights.Also think of pushing them into You or the dogs, or ..., in case of a hard braking of so.

Last edited: