LED used in coloured body Photon Freedom?

weineck

Newly Enlightened
Hi all,

Been lurking for a while now, but have finally come across something I can't figure out through searching alone!

I was going to buy one of the blue bodied Photon Freedoms off ebay, and was wondering if they'd be using the Nichia GS by now? I've read that the coloured body models might be using older LED's vs the black models. The last bit of info I found on that was over a year old, so I was hoping someone could clear this up for me.

Is there any way to physically tell (without comparing beams of course) the difference between the GS and the older Nichia's? Thanks.

Marduke

Flashaholic
Current models use a GS. The GS LED is slightly longer than the CS or DS, but it's difficult to tell unless you have two side by side to compare. The GS hotspot is also oval. I recommend buying Photon products from CFR over anywhere else on the web.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
To add to this, looking through a deep blue filter to see through the yellow phosphor coating, one should see a rectangular die if it is the Nichia GS. LED has to be on of course.

weineck

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll be ordering from CFR then, cheaper than where I was looking.

Cheers!