Bike Light Questions.

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened
Hey I have a flashlight with a p7 in it mounted to my helmet and I ride with a group. I give every1 fair warning not to look at my light because it's courteous...... But what about the poor people on the streets driving in cars? I've been highbeamed quite a few times. How bright is too bright. I'm sure you crazy ppl have torch setups that would put mine to shame. Is there a edicate for bike lights?

Scoot

Newly Enlightened
Hey I have a flashlight with a p7 in it mounted to my helmet and I ride with a group. I give every1 fair warning not to look at my light because it's courteous...... But what about the poor people on the streets driving in cars? I've been highbeamed quite a few times. How bright is too bright. I'm sure you crazy ppl have torch setups that would put mine to shame. Is there a edicate for bike lights?

Yep, IMO while on regular car driven roads, you might want to consider mounting that p7 to a fixed location on your vehicle in a slightly downwards and away angle to pave your lighted way on the road to suit your needs without blinding the oncoming folks (most or all P7s are excruciatingly bright to them... I use one too). If off road (like MTBn'), and not close to your buds, then a helmet mount with a p7 can be very beneficial i would think. P7 is right up there when it comes to BRIGHT.:thumbsup:

Of course there are many more highly experienced experts here to offer more refined tips and nuances on this topic, so hopefully they will chime in as well.:) Did you ask your buds in the group what they think?

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast
When I ran a helmet-mounted light for commuting I was extremely conscientious of where that light was pointing at all times while it was turned on. When looking back in traffic to see if I was clear to make a lane change or left turn I would point the light into the ground as I looked out the corner of my eye behind me. This way I'm not pointing the light directly into any driver's eyes as I'm looking behind me. Same goes when stopped at a stopsign waiting for a clear shot at crossing when the traffic from the side street doesn't stop. I would put my hand over the light so that I'm not blinding oncoming drivers. The only time I've ever purposely pointed the light at a driver's face was when they were doing something stupid that would endanger me while I'm riding. Done that about four times and one of those times I absolutely feel that it saved me from being run over by an SUV.

The light I use is a NiteRider Minewt Mini-USB which is rated at 120 lumens, not the 500+ that a P7 is capable of putting out. For that much power I would mount it to the handlebars with the hotspot aimed at the ground directly in front of the bike about 25 feet out.

mechBgon

Enlightened
I made a video showing a Light & Motion Seca 700 at high power and low power (about 700 lumens and 175 lumens respectively) and also aimed downward versus aimed optimally. For those who find such things interesting:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovlrz5afG3U

Either measure will work as a dimming measure. The Seca's head can also be swivelled sideways, so another option is to aim its hotspot off the edge of the road temporarily.

I agree with PCC that a helmet-mounted light is a burden of responsibility that the rider needs to control carefully. It's obvious to any motorist that you have control over where it's being aimed, so if you blast them in the eyes with it, it could be provocative.

Last edited:

herulach

Enlightened
When I ran a helmet-mounted light for commuting I was extremely conscientious of where that light was pointing at all times while it was turned on. When looking back in traffic to see if I was clear to make a lane change or left turn I would point the light into the ground as I looked out the corner of my eye behind me. This way I'm not pointing the light directly into any driver's eyes as I'm looking behind me. Same goes when stopped at a stopsign waiting for a clear shot at crossing when the traffic from the side street doesn't stop. I would put my hand over the light so that I'm not blinding oncoming drivers. The only time I've ever purposely pointed the light at a driver's face was when they were doing something stupid that would endanger me while I'm riding. Done that about four times and one of those times I absolutely feel that it saved me from being run over by an SUV.

I like to make a point of flashing my (similarly bright) light at drivers waiting to pull out of junctions. It's also handy for making yourself knownto buses/lorries by shining in the wingmirrors.

As far as off road goes, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you're on the road for any length of time you need new routes, not new lights ;)

K_Labs

Newly Enlightened

The light I use is a NiteRider Minewt Mini-USB which is rated at 120 lumens, not the 500+ that a P7 is capable of putting out. For that much power I would mount it to the handlebars with the hotspot aimed at the ground directly in front of the bike about 25 feet out.

I was quite careful to not shine at anyone last time I used it. My buddies were stunned about how bright it was. Before we went out I told them not to look back at me because of the possibility getting "flashbanged" (I don't know what else to call it) then turn back into the dark blinded.

We are only on the street for about 5 or 6 mins throughout a 15 mile ride. 1 guy was clearly in a hurry and tried to make a left in between our group of 7 people when we had waited for the light and began crossing the street so I beamed him for a second.