Heresy! Surefire/Streamlight question...

soa

Newly Enlightened
I'm a long time Surefire user (old-style) and put a lot of faith in my 6P with the HOLA fitted when necessary.

I've just bought a couple of E1's for purse/pocket use, and was thinking about another Surefire for the car. I gave about $40.00 for them.

Now, for about $30-35 I can buy Streamlight Scorpions - about the same output as a 6P, reasonable beam, and a spare lamp.

What do you guys think to these?

Sean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think they are great! When focused the beam looks great too. They cost less, the bulbs cost less, etc. They are not built to the same quality of a surefire but if it's going to be used for is emergency situations or even daily use then go for it. Brinkmann Legend LX's are the same brightness too and only cost $20 w/batteries. Again a lower quality light but is still a great light.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
http://thelightsite.cruxial.com/reviews/streamlight_scorpion.htm

The Scorpion can definitely be used as an every-day light, not just for emergencies. The aluminum body is built at least at the same quality level as the mag, which thousands of people use every day without problem, and the reflector is textured. To classify it accurately for quality and output, think of it as a 4-D mag with a better beam that you can put in your jacket pocket.

brightnorm

Flashaholic
I would add only that the Scorpion's tail button is very sensitive to relatively light pressure and neither it nor the bezel can be locked out, so if you store it for emergencies or even for general use, make sure it can't be accidently activated.

Brightnorm

GJW

Flashlight Enthusiast
Originally posted by brightnorm:
I would add only that the Scorpion's tail button is very sensitive to relatively light pressure and neither it nor the bezel can be locked out, so if you store it for emergencies or even for general use, make sure it can't be accidently activated.

Brightnorm
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Hmmm....
While it is pretty sensitive it's also recessed. To me that make it MORE friendly for storage.

Quickbeam

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've never had a problem with mine accidentally activating, even when carried in my jacket pocket.

I prefer to keep it in the appropriate Streamlight belt sheath (on my waist, in my pack, etc.) Saves on the wear and tear and affords a little extra "accidental activation" protection.

imgadgetman

Newly Enlightened
Hello. I used to EDC my Scorpion in a sheath on my belt. I often slept with shorts on and the flashlight on my belt. On several occasions I woke up to a burning sensation on my side. I melted the plastic lense on the Scorpion as well as my nylon sheath. Then I found CPF, bought more sufefires.....
James

battman

Newly Enlightened
Holy Smoke imgadgetman!
smile.gif

Wolfen

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just bought an E2E in anticipation of the KL1 head. Well, my girlfriend snagged my Scorpion. She says it's her favorite light...loves the switch and the brightness.