Surefire E1B as a pocket EDC

hatman

Enlightened
E1B] owners:

1) Would you recommend this light as a front-pocket EDC?

2) How strong and tight is the clip?
I saw one post that said the clip was so loose he feared the light could fall out of his pocket.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Dave Keith

Newly Enlightened
I like mine a lot clipped in my left front pocket, at the "back" of the pocket, of my jeans. It rides high enough to not bind when sitting down as I really dislike anything larger than my Lummi Raw in the bottom of a pocket.

The clip is my favorite design in that it rides bezel down, but can also be clipped to a cap if desired. Mine is not loose at all.

Naturally all these considerations are very subjective. Some folks don't like pocket clips, but I find them almost a requrement on lights larger than the aforementioned Lummi.

Niconical

Enlightened
I have carried the E1B (pocket, bezel down) for a few months and have had no problem with the clip, seems just right to me.

Cosmo7809

Enlightened
Hello there. I EDC my E1B everyday.... But not clipped to my pocket, I have nothing clipped to my pockets only my SOG flash1. Although I have EDCed it clipped with formal wear because it was a little too big and was shown through the light material of the pants. In that application it worked great I did not even know it was there just and just enough showing so you can get a good grab on it, but also blends right in.

I like it because of its "smoothlyness" no holes in pockets.

As far as the clip goes it is fairly tight but if you were hanging upside down I think it could fall out pretty easy. Now, you could always get a pair of pliers and squeeze it down a bit.

Took some pics for clipped pocket carry(bezel up and down)
http://img194.imageshack.us/img194/637/dsc02337.jpg
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/7857/dsc02338l.jpg
http://img188.imageshack.us/img188/3038/dsc02339.jpg
http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/294/dsc02342x.jpg
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1147/dsc02341x.jpg
http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/6023/dsc02340.jpg

my.php

my.php

Kilovolt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have tried to EDC the E1B but it is definitely too big for me. :eek:

My limit is around 22 mm in diameter and the Backup's head is 28 mm. :rolleyes:

Muskett

Newly Enlightened
I've had no probs with the E1B size wise, great light in my EDC rotation!

litetube

Enlightened
Hmmm, I would have to say it will work probably most of the time? I personally dont think the clip is strong enough to rely on it 100%. It is very thin width wise and as such there is not alot of surface contact between the clip and clothing. Add to this the fact that when used head down, when I sit down I have had it click on from bunched up clothing pressing the clicky on. Head up and sticking out of the pocket it is top heavy. I have had knives with good clips get "hooked" right out of my pocket before . If they incorported something like the McGizmo clip it would improve alot

Now if they made the E1b standard with a shrouded tailcap like the defender or better yet the scoutlight tailcap it would improve alot also . Yet they dont I am assuming because that is not "tactical"?

The clip is a good idea/start but needs improving IMHO of course

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I edc my E1B 24/7. The clip could be a little better. It holds to my pocket fairly well, but could be tighter. I may end up taking a pair of pliers or a vise to the clip to close up the gap and make it grip better. I did drop the light off my belt one time, but I managed to look down and see it before walking out of the restaurant and leaving a $110 light behind! I am more cautious now. I tried a flared tailguard ounce, and did not like it. It made it hard to click the light on. No problems with damaged clothing. Other than the clip issue, I am well satisfied with mine.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I wouldn't recommend it. The clip isn't the problem. It's the slippery design, and the fact that sometimes you get the wrong output. Sometimes you want High but get Low, and vice-versa

A z68 or E2D tailcap would likely help with the slippery design. But a new z68 is around $30. Now you have a light that's around $180.

I ended up buying an Eagletac P10A. Better U.I., you can set the light to always switch on in High or Low mode. Switching modes is done by rotating the head; not by pressing the tailcap and then hope you get the output you need. Runs off of a AA cell, and is brighter than an E1B in High Mode; when using a lithium AA battery.

Eagletac also makes a couple of single CR123 versions, also along the same lines as the E1B... And for less than the cost of the E1B.

I love my collection of Surefire lights, but with the E1B, another company did a much better job with the basic design.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
I bought my E1B for the very reason it was created.

However, on normal days, I EDC it all the time.

I actually had to try to pull the clip to make it looser. It took a good tug to get it on and off if you have it bezel up.

Bezel down isn't as tight but still tight.

The smoothness of the light is why I bought it. I pull it in and out of my pockets all day, everyday and it just slides everywhere.

I've got pretty big hands and have never had a problem with it slipping.

beach honda

Enlightened
I EDC one... i love it...

I EDC a few lights in my pockets and the E1B is my designated pocket thrower...
Are you concerned with grip? Throw an E2DL tailcap on it...
Maybe do like i did and throw a Ti McClicky pak body on it...
perfect!

hatman

Enlightened
I wouldn't recommend it. The clip isn't the problem. It's the slippery design, and the fact that sometimes you get the wrong output. Sometimes you want High but get Low, and vice-versa

A z68 or E2D tailcap would likely help with the slippery design. But a new z68 is around $30. Now you have a light that's around $180.

I ended up buying an Eagletac P10A. Better U.I., you can set the light to always switch on in High or Low mode. Switching modes is done by rotating the head; not by pressing the tailcap and then hope you get the output you need. Runs off of a AA cell, and is brighter than an E1B in High Mode; when using a lithium AA battery.

Eagletac also makes a couple of single CR123 versions, also along the same lines as the E1B... And for less than the cost of the E1B.

I love my collection of Surefire lights, but with the E1B, another company did a much better job with the basic design.

Monocrom,
Many thanks for your observations and recommendation. Much appreciated.

You didn't mention anything about the clip for the P10A, so I looked up some reviews -- and immediately found two that raised questions about the clip!

It is simply amazing to me how many manufacturers don't pay enough attention to the clips for their lights -- and many fail to offer a clip at all.

As to the E1B, there doesn't seem to be agreement on the clip -- or even its use as a pocket-carry EDC.
May we please hear from more owners on this?

Thanks again.

Last edited:

GPB

Enlightened
I LOVE my E1B, but am finding it a little too big to carry now that it's getting closer to summer. In the winter it's dark at 4:30 and I have a big coat on, so I used it more and had more pockets. Now that it's light until 8:30 and I have no coat on, I have switched to a single AAA battery light for regular carry. Unless of course I know a light will be needed, then the E1B is perfect. I can't help you on the clip as I don't use them. I did put the E1B on a cap visor for a short walk in the woods and it worked out well, but that hardly qualifies me to give an opinion on daily use of the clip.

Lightbringer

Newly Enlightened
I carry the E1B everyday with jeans or khakis and the clip is strong enough for both style of pockets. With the large LED head, its pretty hard for it to fall out of the pocket without helping it.

Federal LG

Flashlight Enthusiast
E1B] owners:

1) Would you recommend this light as a front-pocket EDC?

2) How strong and tight is the clip?
I saw one post that said the clip was so loose he feared the light could fall out of his pocket.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Here´s my review: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/threads/226777

With bezel down, clip is not so strong like in bezel up position.

I always carry my E1B in front pocket EDC and, till now, the clip holds well... but in bezel up position is more tight.

kyhunter1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I took my clip off today, and tightened it a little in a vise. I used cardboard between the vise jaws and my clip to keep from scratching it. It is perfectly tight now when clipped to my pocket. IMO, it is the perfect edc.

I edc my E1B 24/7. The clip could be a little better. It holds to my pocket fairly well, but could be tighter. I may end up taking a pair of pliers or a vise to the clip to close up the gap and make it grip better. I did drop the light off my belt one time, but I managed to look down and see it before walking out of the restaurant and leaving a $110 light behind! I am more cautious now. I tried a flared tailguard ounce, and did not like it. It made it hard to click the light on. No problems with damaged clothing. Other than the clip issue, I am well satisfied with mine.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you carry it clipped bezel down in a pocket or on a thick belt it's not coming off or out, period.

I've ran, jogged, worked out, fought, rolled, (no flips), fallen, kicked, been kicked, went to work, etc etc etc and it's not come out or moved.

If you carry it bezel up, go ahead and sky diving because it's not coming out.

I have a hard time putting it on my belt or pocket.

If it's going bezel up in my pocket, I have to pull my pocket up while pushing down to even get it on.

If it's going bezel up on my belt, I have to take one hand to pull the clip back and the other to push down just to get it on.

It's a pain in the butt.

That's why I carry it bezel down. It's pretty easy to get on, and ISN'T coming off.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
I personally find my E1B too big and heavy for EDC. For quite a while I carried a Romisen RC-C3 Q5 dropped into my front jeans pocket... nice size & weight for in the pocket... that is until I discovered the LD01, which totally blew me away.... a featherweight, AAA-size light which when driven by a 10440 has output equal to a P60 R2 lamp driven by an 18650 in a 6P host! Blows the E1B out of the water and is so small and light in the pocket that you have no awareness of it being there.... that's my idea of a great EDC. Of course if I know I'm probably going to need a light for anything beyond bare basics, I will take along a couple or three bigger lights... but for everything else on an EDC basis, the LD01 rocks. My E1B hardly ever gets any use.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Monocrom,
Many thanks for your observations and recommendation. Much appreciated.

You didn't mention anything about the clip for the P10A, so I looked up some reviews -- and immediately found two that raised questions about the clip!

One advantage is that the clip on the P10A is quite a bit thicker in cross section than the one on the E1B. Constantly removing and re-attaching the clip on the P10A is not a good idea. I've kept mine in place since I got it several months ago. No issues there.

But I'm amazed at the CPFers who are recommending carrying the E1B bezel-up. The first time I clipped an E1B bezel-up in my front pants pocket, the head literally leaned out to the side and the light was practically falling out of my pocket! Fellow CPFer WadeF got the same results I did. Bezel-down is fine, bezel-up caused the head to lean out of the pocket. (My P10A on the other hand, can be effectively carried bezel-up. But for best results, bezel-down is still the way to go).

If you prefer bezel-up carry for your EDC light, the E1B is a poor choice.

Search

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you prefer bezel-up carry for your EDC light, the E1B is a poor choice.

Not in my pocket.

It causes too much to be shone.

However, while clipped to my belt it causes more of the light to be above the belt and less obvious.

Bezel up on my belt it sits straight also.

I would recommend only bezel down for a pocket but anything else is trial and error.