EagleTac M2XC4 Review - A Layman's Perspective

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
Submitted for consideration for the review forum.

EagleTac M2XC4

The M2 series of lights signifies EagleTac's entry into the recent boom of small megalights putting out immense quantities of light from mid-size bodies. Generally built around the recent crop of quad-die LEDs EagleTac also offers this option of three individual single-chip diodes in the M2X version.

EagleTac M2XC4

Meat and Potatoes

The M2 series does a fantastic job of rendering first impressions of both quality and a kind of compact immensity. The side by side 2×18650 (or 4xCR123A) battery "tube" is both quite unique in appearance and surprisingly comfortable to hold. It does present itself as fairly top-heavy at onset but this becomes significantly less noticeable after continued use. This overall design presents a compact sturdy tool that shows innovation. EagleTac has in some ways determined to boldly create their own path rather than follow existing design practices. Aesthetically, either you will love the appearance of the M2 series, or you will hate it. Most votes seem to be falling to the former.

The operation of the stock configured M2 series is, in a word, simple. Turn the ring for on, keep going for brighter. And let me tell you, it definitely does get brighter! Three R2 bin Cree XR-Es together are very capable of putting out a blindingly bright spot of light. The manufacturer rating of 800 lumens (calculated at the emitter) seems fairly accurate when optical losses are figured into the equation. The conjoined triple reflector is more than adequately capable of focusing this elephantine output into a tightly constrained beam that projects out over significant distance. As a bonus, this triumvirate of reflectors also serves to better smooth out the beam, assisting in removing most (though admittedly not all) of the dark ring typical to this LED form factor. The resultant profile is very usable over any distance without marked distortion except during intense white wall hunting expeditions.

EagleTac M2XC4

Constructive Criticism

Even with the simplistic method of switching for the M2, some aspects could use help. As things stand currently, the "tactical strobe" mode is far too easy to access becoming an annoyance more often than it will ever prove useful. There is absolutely no tactile tell warning you of the impending disorientation. For that matter the ring has absolutely no tactile feedback whatsoever. This to me is a low hanging fruit. Even a minor click style detent system vaguely similar to offerings by Fenix or Surefire would be a huge improvement. This would be especially helpful for people who choose instead to use the optional clicky switch that was included in all preorders and early adopter purchases. Without some indicator, there is simply no way to guarantee that when you switch the light on, you will get any particular level of light that you may desire.

Speaking of the optional clicky switch, I would like to propose that this little unit could stand a redesign. The plastic used for the replacement tailcap, though it appears to be a well finished, quality polymer, also still looks like it would be too fragile for any serious impact. Plus, the installation of the switch module alters the ergonomics to the point where the light is, to me at least, rather uncomfortable to hold. Add to this some difficulty properly arranging the o-ring in the designated groove, coupled with difficulty extracting the minuscule assembly screws without marring, and I found that I vastly preferred the light with the original flat, tail-stand capable configuration. I quickly returned to this.

M2 Series clicky switch

After my initial "Wow" period with this torch, I did begin to discover something I have since heard others mention as well. Upon first firing the M2X up, there is a brief flash of a higher level before the light settles down into your desired output. This is very reminiscent of something that occurred in older Fenix L2D and P2D models. It has since been corrected there, but it was rather unique to discover the same difficulties cropping up in another manufacturer now. The M2 series of lights are so much brighter, even on low power that this flash is less classified as painfully damaging to night vision and more merely annoying, but I would definitely encourage EagleTac to do away with it if at all possible.

Conclusions

The EagleTac M2XC4 may not have everything hammered out to perfection, but as a general rule it is impressive, both in light of its output capabilities, and its inherent proof that EagleTac is committed to continued innovation. An easy to handle size thanks to it's side by side configuration, joined with both an ergonomic, simple switching method and enormous output is a winning combination. Their new flagship model is well worth the hype it initially received in this reviewers eyes.

EagleTac M2XC4

Provided for review by the kind folks at:​

Ryanrpm

Enlightened
Thanks for your thoughts!

Now, we need some beamshots!! And you have the L2 to compare to it, right??:naughty:

AardvarkSagus

Flashlight Enthusiast
I can try to grab a few beamshots later, but no, I don't have the L2 anymore to compare it to. That one was merely a loaner. I wish I still had it. I do have a couple of older beamshots of the L2 that I can try to use the same settings (providing I can still locate the originals to find those settings).