How to tell between Surefire U2 and U2A?

orbitalpunk

Newly Enlightened
Hi there,

I just purchased a Surefire U2 Ultra and wondered how can I tell if its the revised model. The website said it lasts up to 175 hours but on the back of the box it says 40 hours.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

nirvanaxp

Newly Enlightened
Don't go by the box or the manual. Those are most likely outdated. Look at the led itself. Not while its on! If you see four squares arranged in a grid, thats the old version, a lux 5 emitter. The new one is just one small square or die and is the ssc p4 emitter.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
here is what a SF cust. srv. rep. told me over the phone on Friday, April 03, 2009, at approximately 12:36:43 in the afternoon (yes, that's 43 seconds - i was typing his response into a new ASCII text file on my laptop. the date and time is the date and time that i saved and exited the file and is listed as the "Created" date and time stamp for this file containing the following quote):

"the new U2 has a yellow label, usually on the upper right front of the packaging, which says new and improved."

he sounded very confident and sure about this information that he related.

------------------------------

in case anyone is interested, here is his reply regarding the new, improved, fat-free, all-natural, L4 (same date and approximate time as above applies in this case too):

"L4 has a 'B' in the serial number, AB..."

which upon more questioning from me, also sounded like the following might be true,

"a B before the serial number"

however, it sounded like he was less uncertain (i.e. more certain) about the first quote, i.e., "L4...AB..." than this second L4 quote, i.e., "a B before...".

---------------------

can't tell you for sure (i.e., from first-hand experience) if the above info is true, as i haven't ordered them yet.

Last edited:

blitzlicht65

Enlightened
Left is the new SSC-version - Right the old Lux V-version

P1000198.jpg

:wave:

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Buying a U2A or wait...

Hi,

I'd just like to know if its still a good idea to buy a Surefire U2A ? Is this light obsolete?

What interest me about this light is the look and the variable power.

Thanks for your advice!

o0o

Enlightened
One other question, why isn't Surefire upgrading to Crees instead? I thought Crees were the best LEDs on the market? Why would a company as high quality as Surefire not use the best? (or is it that they have a long term contract with SSC)?

greenLED

Flashaholic
One other question, why isn't Surefire upgrading to Crees instead? I thought Crees were the best LEDs on the market? Why would a company as high quality as Surefire not use the best? (or is it that they have a long term contract with SSC)?
Because for what's designed to do and how it's built, the SSC is probably the best solution.

greenLED

Flashaholic
Re: Buying a U2A or wait...

Lots of people talking about "obsolete" these days... not sure I buy into the concept.

Does it light up? yes
Is it bright? yes
Multiple output? yes
compatible with li-ion? no *cough*yes*cough ;)

I'm still very much using my U2 (LuxV). In fact, I was just trying some new batts in it last night.

sylvain

Newly Enlightened
Re: Buying a U2A or wait...

Lots of people talking about "obsolete" these days... not sure I buy into the concept.

Does it light up? yes
Is it bright? yes
Multiple output? yes
compatible with li-ion? no *cough*yes*cough ;)

I'm still very much using my U2 (LuxV). In fact, I was just trying some new batts in it last night.

How the U2A beam compare with a Novatac 120P?

Mjolnir

Flashlight Enthusiast
CREEs are not necessarily better than SSC P4s are; they are competitors. The SSC LED is slightly larger, and radiates more of its light to the sides, while the CREE puts more of it forward. This will simply result in different beam patterns, but one isn't necessarily better than the other.

iapyx

Enlightened
I am afraid you bought an old version (U2). Some consider the U2 better than the U2A because the U2A has a narrower beam (search for milkyspit and U2A he made some comparable beamshots). Both lights are fantastic (I have them both) I prefer the longer runtime and lower low of the U2A

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I'd just like to know if its still a good idea to buy a Surefire U2A ? Is this light obsolete?

What interest me about this light is the look and the variable power.

Thanks for your advice!

The U2A is one of my favorite lights! I own 3 of them and need to get one more:D There is no way that it is obsolete; instead, it stands at the very top of it's class.

The only thing that I can see that folks could knock it for would be that it's high level is 120 and not 200+ lumens. I don't see this as a problem at all as the output from the U2A on high is more than enough and the added runtime is a huge plus for me.

Is the SSC version capable of more lumens?

It is rated at 120 vs. 100 lumens; I think that they outputs between the 2 are pretty close in real world use.

How the U2A beam compare with a Novatac 120P?

The U2A's beam is moret tightly focused and throws noticeably further.

All in all, I would highly recommend it. The UI is still one of the very best of any light ever made and the spacing of the levels on the U2A is better than the U2 as the light now has a much lower low level.

The feel of the light just simply screams quality and durability as well.

I have been a huge fan of the U2 since they came out and I am still a huge fan. Right now, I don't know of another 2 cell light that I would rather have.

o0o

Enlightened
CREEs are not necessarily better than SSC P4s are; they are competitors. The SSC LED is slightly larger, and radiates more of its light to the sides, while the CREE puts more of it forward. This will simply result in different beam patterns, but one isn't necessarily better than the other.

I'm not sure if this is still the case, but I remember a year or so ago when IIRC SSCs were browning out when ran at high levels. Is this still happening?

mercer69

Newly Enlightened
Don't go by the box or the manual. Those are most likely outdated. Look at the led itself. Not while its on! If you see four squares arranged in a grid, thats the old version, a lux 5 emitter. The new one is just one small square or die and is the ssc p4 emitter.

isnt the new one with the new SSC emitter have 4 silver lines around it too?

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast

It sure could stand an emitter update. I've now got Cree XP-G lights and I don't think SF has even used the 'new' XP-E emitter yet. The recently released SF LX2 has an XR-E (I think) and really packs a punch with the optic. Hope more updates to the line are in the works, the XR-E has been out for what, a couple of years now. I realize that these are works of art, we are lucky they sell to the general public, they can't be rushed, the technology must be proven and approved, the government still buys 386 computers, etc., etc., etc.

I have an old U2 and two U2A's. They are great lights, love the user interface, but I sure could use a little more on the high end these days.

I wouldn't pay $300 for a NIB U2A these days, much better deals can be found online. I could tell ya where, but you know the rest...;)