QD-LEDs emit over whole visible spectrum

comozo

Enlightened
090616.jpg

Researchers in the US have shown that a universal structure can be used to make hybrid organic-quantum-dot light-emitting devices that emit over the entire visible spectrum. These QD-LEDs might find use in RGB flat-panel displays in which red, green and blue QD pixels are deposited in one simple, inexpensive step.

more QD-LEDs emit over whole visible spectrum - optics.org

bshanahan14rulz

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC, a member on here, R33E, is working on making LEDs incorporating QDs to achieve a higher CRI in his studies at a Uni. I think it would be great, but I wonder how well QD stand up to heat of an overdriven LED? Still, high cri is never bad :thumbsup:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Evidot LEDs seem very expensive unless you can buy thousands of them. It seems a better deal to buy one of their light strings and hack out the LEDs from them for about 50 cents a LED. I don't know the type of LED used (5mm, 3mm?). I have heard that the white ones are not really all that bright, but I'm sure they will improve in time.

EricB

Enlightened
So what exactly is this? An LED pixel with five dies side by side, using RGB with amber and cyan?

Gomer

Newly Enlightened
The OP's images just appears to be the emission from UV (or near?) excited quantum dots in a cuvette. Think of it as an "alternative" to phosphors.

R33E8

Newly Enlightened
Yeah, the excitation is probably well under 400nm for those pictures.. I remember the first quantum dots I made had a peak excitation at around 320nm... I have my QD's excitation at 420nm now with a nice smooth emission :D.. It's getting harder the closer I get to 450nm.. :(