EDC for beginners.

warrie87

Newly Enlightened
Hey all,

since one week i am looking for a real good EDC light. But there are soooo many lights out that i really cant decide. I want to carry this light in my jacket or at the belt. So i need a light with clip.

I really like the new Quark lights. But which?

I like the very nice output of that 123² Tactical and the really good runtime. The AA² seems to be little too long for me. The normal AA "only" has 90 lumen and not so long runtime. But it only uses 1AA so its no problem to carry one extra Eneloop with me.

What would you buy? I am happy about any suggestions.

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
90 lumen is more than enough for 100% of the "everyday" applications

Some have this "bright-is-better" mentality, but many don't realise they don't need it, yet they put it on max and wastes battery anyway.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
:welcome:

I'm downright thrilled with my Quark 123. It's my new EDC light.

I mostly use primaries, and I'm comfortable buying batteries online and having a pretty good sized stash of them. Runtime and output are crucial for me, as is the ability to store a light for a long time and have it work when I pick it up. That leads me to the CR123A for most of my serious flashlights. I'm hoping to buy a Quark 123^2 soon.

If size is important to your EDC, I'd probably suggest the Quark 123. If output and runtime are more important, I'd probably suggest the Quark 123^2. If common availability and low cost of batteries is more important, I'd suggest a AA or a AA^2 (although the AA^2 is too long for EDC for me).

You could always just buy one of each lovecpf.

chaosmagnet

Newly Enlightened
90 lumen is more than enough for 100% of the "everyday" applications

Some have this "bright-is-better" mentality, but many don't realise they don't need it, yet they put it on max and wastes battery anyway.

There are situations where the more is better principle applies to lumens. Even if you keep your light on lower brightness levels most of the time (like I do), those extra lumens are there when you need them.

That's why I like multimode lights so very much.

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
If I was stuck with just one small light for EDC use, it would have to be a 1xAA light that can accept any battery type (alkaline, rechargeable NiMH, and rechargeable lithium). For highest performance I use rechargeable lithium, but can use any old AA battery in a pinch. . .

There are at least several very good lights out there that fit this description (Quark, Nitecore D10, etc)

warrie87

Newly Enlightened
And how about buying the Quark AA tactical + the Quark 123 Body?

So i will be able to change it to 123 if i really need more output. And for EDC i will use the AA with my Eneloops.

So i can use every AA Batteries. Even if my Batteries are empty at night i can go to gas station and buy one.

Other possibility is that 14500. Isn't that the Rechargeable Lithium Version for the AA? Sorry but im really no Expert in Batteries and Flashlights ;)

Yucca Patrol

Enlightened
Other possibility is that 14500. Isn't that the Rechargeable Lithium Version for the AA? Sorry but im really no Expert in Batteries and Flashlights ;)

Yes, if you want to keep it simple, invest in a couple AA size 14500 rechargeable lithiums and you won't have to get that 123 body

flatline

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for your help. I think im gonna get that Quark AA lovecpf

I think you'll like it. I just got mine yesterday and, like you, it's my very first premium EDC light (it replaced my trusty minimag which will always be special to me as my first EDC light (and as one of the first gifts my wife gave me)).

The QAA is a very sweet little (and I mean little) flashlight.

--flatline

CaNo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks all for your help. I think im gonna get that Quark AA lovecpf

A very wise choice indeed! The QAA w/ 14500 is so far my strongest portable light in my EDC. It's runtime is excellent, throw is excellent, and is very bright! I always thought about it this way... as tempting as it was to get a Q123, AA batteries are extremely easy to come across just incase my 14500 cell dies. Of course a true flashaholic always carries more than enough spare cells haha! And as mentioned above, with the 14500 cell, you achieve the same brightness as the Q123, but with longer runtime.

xenonk

Enlightened
Other possibility is that 14500. Isn't that the Rechargeable Lithium Version for the AA?
Just don't forget that they're 3.7V lithium-ions and leave a pair of them out for someone to find and put in their decidedly non-7.4V camera. :poof:
:whistle:

Wyeast

Enlightened
As a "first" light, AA is an excellent choice. They're usually not the brightest or the smallest, but the ease of finding cells will mean you're rarely stuck with a flat cell when you need it.

AA NiMHs are easy to come by and you can stop by any convenience store to pick up an alky if you find need on your way out the door.

Sounds like you already have Eneloops on-hand, so being able to use them in the light will seem almost like "free" lumens. You'll use the light at every opportunity. :D

LightScene

Enlightened
When you start to get bored with the Quark AA, get 2 or 3 14500's and a charger. Then you'll be set for a good long time.

Buckeye

Enlightened
warrie87 you will love the Quark AA. I have a Fenix L1D RB100 and it always feels slick when I hold it. I have a wrist lanyard on it because I thought I was going to drop it. The Quark AA with the moderately aggressive knurling and the clip is very easy to hold on to. I haven't put the lanyard on it yet.
You haven't said what other lights you have. 90 lumens Out The Front (OTF) is very bright, especially from one AA battery. At least you will impress everyone you show it to.

DHart

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oh, let's see... ummmm, well..... oh yeah how about a Quark AA and a couple of 14500's! ;)

While you're at it, pick up a Q123 tube as well... when you want a really small pocket rocket, move the head and tail from the QAA over the the Q123 body, toss in a 16340 and a really compact rocket is in your pocket!

When you want to step up to incredible runtimes and even a bit more brightness, add a Q123-2 and a couple of 17670s. You can use the head and tail on the smaller bodies if you wish as well... just run it on li-ions.

The Quark "system" is a really great choice. :thumbsup:

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
For a BEGINNER:
Fenix E01 on your keychain. (AAA, single level)
Nitecore EZAA for your pocket. (AA twistie, short, 2 levels)
Fenix L1T v2.0 on your belt. (AA clickie, 2 levels)
Fenix L2T v2.0 in car and kitchen drawer. (2AA clickie, 2 levels, a bit long for me to EDC but you should see how big the lights people carry around here)

Unfortunately soon you will be a beginner no more.
So.....
Fenix LD01 on your keychain. (AAA, multimode)
Nitecore EZAA for your pocket.
Fenix LD10 on your belt. (AA clickie, multimode)
Fenix LD20 in car and kitchen drawer. (2AA clickie, multimode, a bit long for me to EDC but you should see how big the lights people carry around here)

Last edited:

JBorneu

Enlightened
Quark lights are good lights. I think I'm, going to get me one myself. Maybe. There are a couple other lights on my wishlist.

1 AA is a very good format for an EDC. Even though I have much more powerful lights, mostly I EDC a 1 AA light (often among others).

If you're going to use Li-ion cells, check out the guide in my signature so you know how to use them in a safe manner.