Flashlight heresy

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
I'm thinking of committing flashlight heresy, and I need opinions

I'm a member of ARES (Amateur Radio Emergency Service), and every day, I carry a "Go Bag"
In there I have gear for a call out.

Among all the "other" stuff, I carry a bunch of things that require batteries.
</font><ul type="square">[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Radio (AA cells)
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">My Palm Pilot (AAA Cells)
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">SureFire E2 (CR123s)
</font>[*]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Arc AAA (AAA Cell)
</font>[/list]<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">As you can see, I'm stuck carrying 3 kinds of spare batteries!
I'm thinking about moving my E2 to my backup/Truck bag (the one I take when I need more gear than I'm willing to carry ALL the time), and moving the ARC LS I got yesterday to the main bag - If I use the 2xAA holder, I eliminate the CR123s

Am I crazy?

KC2IXE

guncollector

Enlightened
Seems to me you had the E2 is in there for more "throw", when the Arc AAA won't illuminate as far.

I know you're still carrying 3 types, but why not carry your E2 and Arc LS in your "Go Bag". Then 123's that don't power-up the E2 can still be more than serviceable in the Arc LS. Your Palm Pilot shouldn't require more than 1 back-up set of AAA's.

Just one perspective...

73's
DE
KG6AHU

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by guncollector:
Seems to me you had the E2 is in there for more "throw", when the Arc AAA won't illuminate as far.
...snip...

73's
DE
KG6AHU
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Actually, the Surefire went in there back when I was still carrying a Photon III, for when I needed more light. Tire changing, stair wells, etc (Mostly indoors)

About twice a year I rethink my go bag (usually change of seasons), and it's time rethink for the fall (summer gear goes out, winter in). I carry 27 lbs on the subway everyday right now, and I was looking to lighten the load

B@rt

Flashaholic
I don't have an E2, but imho a ls-based light is very hard to beat for indoor use...
rolleyes.gif

MarcV

Enlightened
If I were in 2 land, I think I'd sway towards lithiums everywhere because of their low temperature performance characteristics.

The 123s are ready, but maybe the AAs should be lithium, also. The Arc AAA is pocketable and you could warm it in an inside pocket while not in winter use.

K8ILB,W0LJH,W9LPK, then K8ILB again

KC2IXE

Flashaholic*
Originally posted by MarcV:
If I were in 2 land, I think I'd sway towards lithiums everywhere because of their low temperature performance characteristics.
...snip...
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Marc,
Yes, I've been using Lithium AAs in the ARC - right now, for the rig, I'm using the rechargable Lithium pack as the main, with a AA pack as the spare (Plus LOTS of AA cells) - when the batch of AAs I have now go, I'm probably going to go all Lithium AAs - It's more trying to get away from a size

That said, it doesn't get that cold here in NYC

Charlie

Charles Bradshaw

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would stay with Lithium AA cells for that size. Lighter and much greater capacity, with the bonus of good low temp performance. Additional bonus is less number of loads to carry.

Couple of things you might think about: A Princeton Tec Matrix headlamp 3 x White LED, 2 AA, and regulated, gives you 100+ hours of bright light on Lithium AA cells. If you are wearing a ball cap or something with a similar bill/brim, you can clip an Infinity Ultra w/Lithium 50+ hours runtime. These are 2 rugged and light weight options for times you need both hands for something else.

EX WN8VWJ - WB8VWJ - finally KC8HN
(Gave up license, due to the FBI regarding my kind as automatically guilty of treason, by reason of mere existance. Thus no point in remaining licensed.) I am not going to say what, since that is specifically prohibited on this forum.