Upgrade from my L2D

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
2.5 years ago I bought a Fenix L2D with XR-E P4 bin LED. I would like to upgrade to a new flashlight that meets the following criteria:

2AA batteries
Small form factor (like L2D)
noticeably brighter (Q5 Cree perhaps)
Neutral white LED or at least not as cold as these older L2Ds (my L2D seems cool violet white)
Two or more levels
Similar run time
same or better throw
$50-70 range, dunkable, fairly rugged...

I looked at some reviews here on CPF
Fenix LD20
Nitecore D20
Olight T25

These look like good lights. Anything else I should consider?

Last edited:

Toaster

Enlightened
The LD20, D20, and T25 are not available with neutral white LED. The Quark 2AA Neutral White is one possible choice. There is also the Eagletac P20A2 Neutral White. It has a Cree Q4-5A LED with output rated at 15/55/200 lumens. There's a review of the cool white version here.

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
the quark neutral 2aa is the natural progression. i would go with the tactical. it's easy to get into the programming.
the quarks now are what the fenix were back then. good all around lights, lego able.

i still have my l2d too.
you could always upgrade the emitter if you are familiar with a soldering iron.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind cool white as long as it is not pushing too cool - bluish or violet tints like many early XR-E P4 lights. Even the El cheapo XR-E lights I get from the department stores seem warmer than my 2-1/2 year old L2D-CE.

Looking at the Quark AA-2 with R2 XP-E, I don't see the attraction. 170 lumens with only 1.3h runtime? The other lights I noted seem to do better.

HarveyRich

Enlightened
See this great review of 2AA flashlights by Selfbuilt. It's in the flashlight reviews section of the forum:

http://candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?t=214890

I have one of those original l2d's myself and love it. I just bought an Olight T25 from Shining Beam, which is brighter on high and, in theory, has a lower low too (it doesn't appear so to me, though). I would like to have at least an R2 in my next light, though. I also like the clickie interface of the Fenix light better, but the Olight is well constructed. There appear to be quite a few nice 2AA lights in the marketplace today.

Burgess

Flashaholic
Always keep in mind that 4Sevens' Quark flashlights understate their performance.

Honesty finally comes to brightness and runtime.

:twothumbs

Other manufacturers, uhhhmmm . . . .

:thumbsdow:thumbsdow:thumbsdow

Got it ?

:cool:
_

berry580

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't mind cool white as long as it is not pushing too cool - bluish or violet tints like many early XR-E P4 lights. Even the El cheapo XR-E lights I get from the department stores seem warmer than my 2-1/2 year old L2D-CE.

Looking at the Quark AA-2 with R2 XP-E, I don't see the attraction. 170 lumens with only 1.3h runtime? The other lights I noted seem to do better.
170lumen is out of torch lumens, unlike some other manufacturers. i.e. what you're ACTUALLY getting.

If you want bigger numbers, you can always divide it back by 66% and get a get a bigger number to compare with those "other" manufacturers.

So 170/.66 approx = 255lumens, its bigger, happy now?:whistle:

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Looks like the Quark AA-2 R2 has my name on it. How have the tints been on this one?

Sharpy_swe

Enlightened
The 4Sevens Quark AA² Neutral is a great flashlight.

The UI is similar to the L2D/P3D/... and the 0.2 lumens mode is a big bonus compared to the ''high'' low on the L2D.