300 lumens per watt by 2015

uplite

Enlightened
Yawn...whassup?...oh...nothing to see here. :p

Wake us up again when someone makes a real breakthrough in LED efficiency. Not just shuffling around the die size, package size, or optics.

Until then... :sleepy:

-Jeff

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
Yawn...whassup?...oh...nothing to see here. :p

Wake us up again when someone makes a real breakthrough in LED efficiency. Not just shuffling around the die size, package size, or optics.

Until then... :sleepy:

-Jeff

???

Whatever they can do to get more light out of the LED package, I'm all ears.

uplite

Enlightened
Me too. :) I did read the article. It said that Illumitex "will begin production later this year, starting at 100 lumens at 300 mA".

Meanwhile the Cree XP-G is already in production, and it does 130 lumens at 350 mA.

:confused: :shrug: :sleepy:

-Jeff

jtr1962

Flashaholic
Not a violation of the laws of thermodynamics but 300 lm/W is really pushing them. If we think of blue plus phosphor, then the limit is roughly 270 lm/W (with a 100% efficient blue LED and minimum possible Stokes losses). Nichia recently managed 250 lm/W in the lab (at 20 mA), and claims 300 lm/W is possible with a new phosphor mix. 400 lm/W is theoretically possible with RGB LEDs but you'll need to get them 75% efficient to reach 300 lm/W. Blue is already there in the lab, but red and especially green have a way to go.

All that being said, yes, I think 300 lm/W will indeed happen eventually, but if it happens in 6 years I'll really be surprised.

JohnR66

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm skeptical too. It gets more challenging as a theoretical limit is approached. I'm pretty amazed at what we already have today.

qwertyydude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I wonder why red is so hard when they've been around the longest so should have had plenty of time to do the research.