Kroma would you buy one?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
If I had a need for an LED light that had all the features of a Kroma, I'd buy a Kroma. Nearest substitute I've found is the Coast recon model. And it's a substitute for a Kroma the way a Kia Rio is a substitute for a Dodge Viper. They're both cars, and that's not a lie. That's where the similarities end.

GreySave

Enlightened
I would.....And have owned one for a year or two. Think of it as an excellent low powered performer. You have a choice of a very nice red or blue flood lighting, with high and low beam in each color and very good run times. You also have a low powered spot that will run for a long time (About 30 hours I believe), or a decent but not overpowering high white, although the runtime at 1.5 hours is a little lower than I'd like. The optic on the white beam does have a very noticeable ring at the outside, but the spot on the high beam is rather gorgeous

The Kroma is a speciality light to be sure. If you do not have a specific need for the light its high price is a quick turn off. One of my volunteer activities is animal rescue. By that I am not referring to the usual fostering and rehoming of animals. I am the Coordinator for a County based Animal Response Team (CART) with ties to a parent state agency. We are responsible for the sheltering of companion animals during emergencies / evacuations, as well as with the (hopefully) on site care of horses and other livestock. We also respond to animal related emergencies, such a livestock trucks which are involved in motor vehicle accidents on the Interstates that pass through the area. The Kroma is perfect for this function, as the use of the red LEDs can help minimize stress on the animals during night rescue operations, and also allow me to move about a shelter at night with a minimal amount of disruption to the pets resting in a dark shelter.

Are there cheaper red equipped lights? Absolutely. But I have yet to see one that offers the multiple level wide and clean flood lighting of the red and blue LEDs of the Kroma. It is perfect for the task at hand, even if that means it only gets used once or twice a year.

Again, the key for anyone considering a Kroma is to remember that it is the SureFire of low powered lights. If you are expecting blinding lumens you will be disappointed.

One additional comment.....I personally find the blue light to be harsh and not to my liking.

And another comment......Some of the folks have commented about ringy output from the colored LEDs. That applies to the military version as that version substitutes other colors for some of the civilian's red and blue LEDs. The civilian version provides a nice even flood of light unless you are using it at a distance of only perhaps a foot from the wall. Another commented on the square beam. The optics do create a square and small postage style low beam profile at distances of less than a foot to perhaps 18 inches. Beyond that the beam kind of crosses itself (You might have to see the beam in smoke or fog to understand) and you get a decent beam on low and one I truly like on high. The only negative item about the beam at distance is the very visible ring of light at the outermost area of the beam. You will see it in practical use. I do not find it a serious detriment, but others may differ given the price of the light.

Last edited:

greenpea76

Newly Enlightened
I bought a Kroma in the Marketplace awhile ago, but don't use it as much anymore. I switched out the emitter to an SSC P4 and applied some diffuser film to the inside of the lens and made for a much brighter flood light.
Mine originally had a squarish beam pattern and was not impressed til after the mod. It's a great light, but I find myself reaching for modded lights with two stages without the colored LED's more often.

If I were you, I would also wait til one pops up in the marketplace instead of paying full retail. That is, if you still really wanted one.

mwaldron

Enlightened
I have a K2MS and it's in dire need of some updates.

I'd like to switch mine out to a Warm P4 and keep the Aspheric lens, swap out the IR leds for White (for flood) and then the blue LEDs with UV.

I have to admit I wouldn't buy another Kroma, but if I were able to get mine modded as above it would probably be one of my favorite lights.

Vox Clamatis in Deserto

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a K2MS and it's in dire need of some updates.

I'll second that. The blue LED's give horrible biohazard logo rings, the white is not too competitive these days even by SF's somewhat lagging emitter standards.

The tailcap on my Mil-Spec is still very hard to turn after a couple of years but the selector ring works fine.

Instead, I'd recommend an Inova Inforce Color, I picked one up BNIB for about $110 delivered on eBay. The beam from the colored LED's is terrific and the main white LED is much brighter than the one on the Mil-Spec. Each color and beam selection has three levels and the interface is a little obscure but this light is great if you need the colors and dim light coupled with an occasional burst to check out something in the distance.

wykeite

Newly Enlightened
This light has always puzzled me, both use and price.

During the working day/night I have need for white light for extended periods far exceeding the runtimes of the Kroma. I have a need for a red light occasionally and a UV light a few times a day. Kroma's blue wouldn't do the job for me. Two lights and a filter work for me at a much lower cost.

Basically it's never been one of my considerations:tinfoil:.

Tempest UK

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've used it a lot when I've needed to use it - when using white light isn't an option. The K2-BK-BL/RD has been particularly useful with the different levels of coloured light output; even when the light is red you can have too much output for it to be usable, in which case having the low output is a must.

I can't say I would find it particularly useful as a general, day-to-day light, though. I would rather have something like an A2L-HA-RD for that.

Regards,
Tempest

kromeke

Enlightened
I've had a slight gravitation to the Kroma mil-spec. Personally, I'd swap the blue emitters for UV, assuming they have similar Vf and such. Then I'd have white for general use, red and y/g for covert use (I'm a civilian, so I really don't have a NEED for such, but red is good for astronomy and such) The UV would be handy for nerdy stuff.

Neat light, good quality from Surefire (I'm assuming, the only Surefire I own is a U2 and I like it).

Do I need it? No. Do I want it? yes. Do I want it enough to spend $$$ for it? Not yet.

Closet_Flashaholic

Enlightened
I have always looked at the Kroma MS. (the MS is the only version I would consider). For a couple of years I kept trying to invent uses for it because it seems like a cool light. But I could never get past the fact that its lumen-challenged and run-time challenged for its white high primary output. Instead, I just carry a less-expensive light with filters which is more flexible, has longer runtimes and more levels. The only drawback is the added time to switch/add the filter desired. And I have a separate IR/UV light now (custom).

I am secretly hoping that SF gets around to updating the primary LED, but I am not holding my breath. Even if they did upgrade it, it would probably result in a hefty upgrade of the price as well, so that would start the evaluation process all over again for me.

DimeRazorback

Flashlight Enthusiast
Man... waiting for delivery is the death of me.

The PK Kroma was sent today, and the other Milspec one will be shipped tomorrow...

So another couple of weeks to wait :shakehead

...I might try and learn how to hibernate :D

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
I don't see the need for it. Even if I need a light with an almost similar function, I would rather get the A2L but sacrificing either the blue or the red LED option. A2L is smaller and easier to carry anyway.

Hugo2x

Newly Enlightened
One of my friends is real big into hunting and he swears by it. I think it's a bit overpriced

Last edited:

Schuey2002

Enlightened
The main reason I haven't bought this light, is because of how low the output is on its primary beam. I know that this light has other useful features, like "dual-output secondary LED's", but that is what I looked at when I considered buying this light.

This light, IMHO, should be cranking out way more lumens than it is. I know SureFire considers 50 lumens to be a 'tactical light level', but in this day 'n age, that low number just doesn't cut it for me. That may be fine for others, but not for me. If I am going to shell out $330 (retail) for a quote "tactical" flashlight, I would expect to get, at a minimum, 100 lumens out the front end. But that's just me. :sssh: