Does indecision = contentment?

Gatsby

Enlightened
I've tried some lights and found my drawer a bit too full so I've consolidated a bit with the thought of perhaps a bit more consolidation and buying maybe one new light to fill a gap or explore some new territory.

The problem I've been having, however, is figuring out what new light to purchase. As background:

I've acquired a 120P to replace my 85P (and having seen the difference I'm not sure I'd do it again but it's already done) as I love the overall beam and functionality of the Novatac lights, although they are a bit large for everyday EDC. I also pimped it out with a trit bezel which I've wanted for some time (which was rather difficult given the volume of red loctite applied to the stock bezel - that odyssey is memorialized elsewhere but it was nearly my Waterloo). I also have a 17670 tube for days of runtime should I need it.

I have a LF3XT which is a smaller alternative to the 120P - which I like quite a bit.

I have a Dereelight CL1Hv3 with a couple pills and reflectors which give me a Q2 5A 3SD warm option, a 2SM muti cell option and a Q5 3SD option, which with 18650s and either the smooth or OP reflector give me a good range of options in a solidly built (albeit subject to battery rattle) package.

And I have a Liteflux LF2 on my key ring - although I keep pondering going back to a Photon.

Even with these lights I have most of my bases covered. But like many I have a few other lights that are useful for particular situations - a couple Mag D cell lights with LED upgrades that, in hurricane and ice storm country, are nice long runtime emergency lights that put out a good bit of light and are easy to pass to the wife/kids who can operate them easily. A few MiniMags with NiteIze and Arcmania drop ins for kitchen drawer and kids use. And a few remaining odds and ends - several Peak lights which I use from time to time - a red McKinley that is a nice tent light - a Pacific with a few battery options that is a nice runtime backup and sometimes pocket light. Two McKinleys as battery vampires.

As another background piece I have been thinking about a move to all US made lights ... between Novatac, Arc, Peak and Surefire I ought to be able to meet my needs, but realistically while I like US made lights I'm not sure I really want to sell the Dereelight or Liteflux since there is nothing really wrong with them...

So ... I was initially thinking about a 6P style light to use as a host for one of the extra Dereelight pills - it would make say the Q2 5A more accessible than having to swap it out anytime I wanted to use it. Plus it opens the whole world of C series lego stuff to me which I haven't really explored.

My only Surefire, and it was really nice, was an E2e prior to Surefire really diving into the LED market, and I just didn't use it as I hated burning up 123s at the time (replaced it with a Strion that I used for a very long time).... but I did like the form factor and the build quality was excellent. Then I saw an E1e and always thought Surefires were too big (the L1 being an example) but the E1e was compact and thinner than my Novatac ... so I thought hmmmm ... maybe the E series legoes are the way to go with some nice LED and incandescent (lumens factory) options - perhaps an E1 and E2 body with LED and incandescent options (since I no longer have a hotwire of any kind and there are times they are useful). But I like multi stage and rechargeables, and it appears the best 1 and 2 cell head is the old KL1 which is single stage and the McE2S switches have gone the way of the dodo bird (not by their choice...). So maybe just a E1 setup would be nice since I do enjoy pocket lights...

Then I thought - I've got plenty of pocket lights realistically - maybe another 2 cell light would be useful. The Surefire U2a Ultra looks really appealling - lots of light and a really low low (which I like a lot) - it can run on 17670s as well as primaries and it has both a very nice high and a very useful low and a unique UI with tons of runtime. Given power outages are my highest disaster threat (other than a housefire) this might be the perfect light... even if it is a bit bigger than I really like...

But I keep waivering on that ... all of which leads me to one of a few conclusions - either I am going through typical flashaholic fever when you've consolidated in anticipation of a purchase but just can't decide what to buy (and the only prescription is... more lumens! :cool:)

or ... maybe ... just maybe ... I have all the lights I really need and this indecision is a sign that I am actually ... well ... content. Is it really possible? :whistle: :candle:

Flying Turtle

Flashaholic
Contentment? Perish the thought. Sounds like you're just being sensible, as tough as this is for us. Mostly I just wait for new lights to jump out at me and demand a purchase. If reviews are good I jump. Need has nothing to do with it now. Be happy.

Geoff

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any of these lights neutral colored? Maybe you should try them out before making any rash decision... I don't see a TK20 in you collection...

da.gee

Enlightened
I'm in a similar boat. I have many lights custom and production that fill it seems every niche. I've been tempted by a few lights but haven't pulled the trigger in awhile.

A Malkoff M60 warm flood is a nice addition and fits with your battery supply. I find it to be one of my most useful lights and the MD2 host in camo is way cool.

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I do have everything I need that the current market can provide right now, but I take that as a sign that I need to expand my horizons and plan to move from warm and cool LED to a new purchase or custom mod of an incan, and why not (if the budget permits) and HID. I admit I don't really have a need for those, aside for pure fun... perhaps I'm just a junkie looking to get the same high as the first time. I think I spent enough this year and am just waiting to see what next year will bring and how my budget will feel about it. Sure I feel some contentment, but the kid in me doesn't have enough yet. I also feel I haven't found THE perfect light that will fill 90% or more of my needs with just one light and still hope that very soon someone will make that a reality.

Vesper

Enlightened
Contentment? Perish the thought. Sounds like you're just being sensible, as tough as this is for us. Mostly I just wait for new lights to jump out at me and demand a purchase. If reviews are good I jump. Need has nothing to do with it now. Be happy.

Geoff

Ahhh. Perfectly said... Now THAT'S contentment.

supes

Enlightened
Mr. Gatsby, where's your triple P7 or MC-E m@g?

I too am like you, treasuring that smooth beam from the 120P(I've got a B60). How about a Zebralight H501W or H501(if your not a warm tinted kinda person)? I bet that would make you fall in love with light again. It did for me.

recDNA

Flashaholic
I've tried some lights and found my drawer a bit too full so I've consolidated a bit with the thought of perhaps a bit more consolidation and buying maybe one new light to fill a gap or explore some new territory.

The problem I've been having, however, is figuring out what new light to purchase. As background:

I've acquired a 120P to replace my 85P (and having seen the difference I'm not sure I'd do it again but it's already done) as I love the overall beam and functionality of the Novatac lights, although they are a bit large for everyday EDC. I also pimped it out with a trit bezel which I've wanted for some time (which was rather difficult given the volume of red loctite applied to the stock bezel - that odyssey is memorialized elsewhere but it was nearly my Waterloo). I also have a 17670 tube for days of runtime should I need it.

I have a LF3XT which is a smaller alternative to the 120P - which I like quite a bit.

I have a Dereelight CL1Hv3 with a couple pills and reflectors which give me a Q2 5A 3SD warm option, a 2SM muti cell option and a Q5 3SD option, which with 18650s and either the smooth or OP reflector give me a good range of options in a solidly built (albeit subject to battery rattle) package.

And I have a Liteflux LF2 on my key ring - although I keep pondering going back to a Photon.

Even with these lights I have most of my bases covered. But like many I have a few other lights that are useful for particular situations - a couple Mag D cell lights with LED upgrades that, in hurricane and ice storm country, are nice long runtime emergency lights that put out a good bit of light and are easy to pass to the wife/kids who can operate them easily. A few MiniMags with NiteIze and Arcmania drop ins for kitchen drawer and kids use. And a few remaining odds and ends - several Peak lights which I use from time to time - a red McKinley that is a nice tent light - a Pacific with a few battery options that is a nice runtime backup and sometimes pocket light. Two McKinleys as battery vampires.

As another background piece I have been thinking about a move to all US made lights ... between Novatac, Arc, Peak and Surefire I ought to be able to meet my needs, but realistically while I like US made lights I'm not sure I really want to sell the Dereelight or Liteflux since there is nothing really wrong with them...

So ... I was initially thinking about a 6P style light to use as a host for one of the extra Dereelight pills - it would make say the Q2 5A more accessible than having to swap it out anytime I wanted to use it. Plus it opens the whole world of C series lego stuff to me which I haven't really explored.

My only Surefire, and it was really nice, was an E2e prior to Surefire really diving into the LED market, and I just didn't use it as I hated burning up 123s at the time (replaced it with a Strion that I used for a very long time).... but I did like the form factor and the build quality was excellent. Then I saw an E1e and always thought Surefires were too big (the L1 being an example) but the E1e was compact and thinner than my Novatac ... so I thought hmmmm ... maybe the E series legoes are the way to go with some nice LED and incandescent (lumens factory) options - perhaps an E1 and E2 body with LED and incandescent options (since I no longer have a hotwire of any kind and there are times they are useful). But I like multi stage and rechargeables, and it appears the best 1 and 2 cell head is the old KL1 which is single stage and the McE2S switches have gone the way of the dodo bird (not by their choice...). So maybe just a E1 setup would be nice since I do enjoy pocket lights...

Then I thought - I've got plenty of pocket lights realistically - maybe another 2 cell light would be useful. The Surefire U2a Ultra looks really appealling - lots of light and a really low low (which I like a lot) - it can run on 17670s as well as primaries and it has both a very nice high and a very useful low and a unique UI with tons of runtime. Given power outages are my highest disaster threat (other than a housefire) this might be the perfect light... even if it is a bit bigger than I really like...

But I keep waivering on that ... all of which leads me to one of a few conclusions - either I am going through typical flashaholic fever when you've consolidated in anticipation of a purchase but just can't decide what to buy (and the only prescription is... more lumens! :cool:)

or ... maybe ... just maybe ... I have all the lights I really need and this indecision is a sign that I am actually ... well ... content. Is it really possible? :whistle: :candle:

No

waddup

Flashlight Enthusiast
if your like me, and actually use your flashlights, and have a collection of 4 or 6 good lights, and you can already light up anything you can find,

what would be the point in another one?

200 lumens is 200 lumens,

from a $40 light or a $500 light,

200 is 200.

content/common sense....you decide :)